Is this the stack described?

amazar

I went looking for PO0657 and PO0655 today. The description for PO0657 says:

quote:
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 (CAS) THIS STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE SOUTHERLY OF TWO STACKS AT THE GILLETTE RUBBER CO. TIRE FACTORY IN EAU CLAIRE. IT IS A TALL RED BRICK STACK WITH CORBEL AT THE TOP AND A SLIGHTLY ENLARGED BAND ABOUT 15 FEET BELOW THE TOP. THE STACK IS ABOUT 175 FEET HIGH AND IS QUITE PROMINENT. A SIMILAR STACK OF THE SAME HEIGHT IS ABOUT 50 FEET NORTH. THE SOUTHERLY STACK WAS ERECTED IN 1930 AND THE NORTHERLY STACK IN 1917...
and goes on to describe exactly where to find it.

The site is now called Banbury Place. My GPS says the stacks should be close to the middle of the complex - this is at the east end. The only stack is on the south side. But is this the stack described? (sorry about the image - having some trouble today)

Why or why not?

[This message was edited by amazar on May 07, 2003 at 05:34 PM.]32036_500.jpg

[This message was edited by amazar on May 07, 2003 at 05:35 PM.]

quote:
My GPS says the stacks should be close to the middle of the complex - this is at the east end

Don't worry 'bout what the GPSr says, as they didn't have 'em back in '34 when they wrote the description. You'll find that it is usually best to just use the descriptions. The updated benchmarking page here on the site has a lot of helpful info about this. Happy benchmarking!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

This is (possibly) a good example of one of the differences between Geocaching and Benchmarking. In geocaching, you can trust your GPSr to get you within about 30 feet, but in benchmarking, most times you can only trust your GPSr to get you within an area about the size of a city block and you have to rely on the description, and your ability to decipher that description. Sometimes, that's not too easy, especially if the area has changed very much.

The original description to PO0657 mentions two stacks and you said that you could only see one. Obviously, the area has changed. To determine if the remaining stack is the south stack, you'll need to use the description - most particularly the last line which states '...ABOUT 200 FEET NORTH OF THE EAU CLAIRE RIVER, BETWEEN THE MINNEAPOLIS, ST. PAUL AND SAULT STE. MARIE RAILWAY AND THE CHICAGO, ST. PAUL, MINNEAPOLIS AND OMAHA RAILWAY, AND ABOUT 25 FEET NORTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF GALLOWAY STREET.' If it fits that description, it's more than likely the correct stack.

This particular benchmark has and adjusted coordinate, but it's only classified as a third order horizontal coordinate, meaning that it could be off a bit. (See the original data sheet for that.)

Hope this helps.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

The problem with this section of the description is that these are both north/south coordinates. My difficulty is in locating this stack in the E/W direction. That's why I tried to include the image. I don't think I see the corbel (though I'm not sure what one looks like) or the "SLIGHTLY ENLARGED BAND ABOUT 15FEET BELOW THE TOP." Maybe it's time to go back to the local archives and see if I can find any old aerial photos that show both stacks in relation to the rest of the complex. Unfortunately, the archive mostly has pictures of the University.

I am sure that if this is one of the stacks, it is the south stack not the north one. I can probably go log the north stack as destroyed.

FWIW the 2 churches (JC1590 & JC1587) and the one smokestack (JC1589) that I have logged were reasonably close to their published locations according to my GPS. (I stood near the structures to take my GPS readings.) Thus at least in these 3 cases those old 3rd order adjusted locations were still close to what I expected.

So, I went into the building and with a little effort got this picture:32036_600.jpg

The correct stacks are near the left of the picture, roughly where my GPS said. The currently existing stack is on the right hand side of the picture.