Missing caches?

beatrixkiddo

Me and a group of friends started caching recently, not together but we all discuss it together. What we are noticing is that alot of the caches that we hunt are missing. Do you guys run into this often? Yesterday we went for 4 caches and 2 were missing. THe day before 2 were missing also. It is kind of discouraging to know that we spend all of this time looking for a cache that is not even there anymore.

Me and a group of friends started caching recently, not together but we all discuss it together. What we are noticing is that alot of the caches that we hunt are missing. Do you guys run into this often? Yesterday we went for 4 caches and 2 were missing. THe day before 2 were missing also. It is kind of discouraging to know that we spend all of this time looking for a cache that is not even there anymore.

I noticed that I also come across missing caches. Only problem is that someone finds them in the next couple days, so either the owner went out and replaced them without logging or they weren't missing.

I might be inclined to ask you what type of caches are you looking for? Are you looking for an ammo can in the woods or a micro or other in an urban environment? Is the cache cammo'ed? Trust me, many of the urban micro/nanos are not missing but a real bugger to find. You might give the GC numbers.

Thats always i the back of my mind as I'm searching. I generally look at the cache page if i havent found it in 10 minutes or so. Get the size, any hint and the find history. if its been found in the last 30 days I keep looking. If its got a string of DNFs that go back a year I log a DNF and move on. I seldom presume its gone. Just report my experience and move on.

I have one right now that I can not find but I do think it is there I just have not found it yet. I been twice with no luck and I am putting it on the back burners for a week or so, regroup and head there to try again. It is kinda becoming my nemesis in my early geocaching adventures. I agree though just because you have not found it does not mean it is not there.

Edited by searchgeo

One other thing to note is that if you look up a cache page and it has two or three DNFs as the latest logs, it probably isn't there.

But, as the other posters mentioned, how do yo know it's really missing?

I would that would be true if it was a low difficulty cache with no history of DNFs before that, but higher difficulty caches often have 2, 3 or more DNFs in a row.

I am not having any luck, PERIOD! 5 times out...zip...

It must be me, but it may also be my being a novice with latitude/longitude.

Do GCers hid caches "in buildings such as BASKIN ROBBINS"?

Caches generally won't be hidden inside buildings. There are a few exceptions, but they are rarely if ever made for commercial establishments.

First, are you looking for micros? If so forget them for the time being. They can be difficult for veteran cachers.

Second are you concentrating your search where your GPS says it is? If so you need to realize that the cache can be 30, 40 or more feet from where your GPS tells you it is. Your GPS has an inaccuracy of about 10-30 feet and so did the unit of the hider.

A chief novice mistake is to concentrate their search where the GPS points. Us that as a starting place but if you come up empty, expand your search outward looking for places that you would hide something if you were to, rather than where your GPS tells you to look.

A very small percentage of the caches that I've hunted were actually missing. I don't find the caches about 20 percent of the time, but they usually turn out to be there and I just missed them. See my post above to Jaybod about how to increase your chances of finding the things.

Edited by briansnat

I agree. This is why The Team, via GSAK, deletes caches downloaded that have two or more DNF's in a row.

This could prove more problematic for cachers who might reside outside cache rich areas. But for The Team it is quite effective.

When traveling and using 'cashes along a route' this technique is even more beneficial to The Team .

It must be me, but it may also be my being a novice with latitude/longitude.

This statement is FAR more true than what you may believe.

As with any new endeavor, there is a learning curve you must work through. As simple as geocaching may be, there is a lot to learn. From just what may actually be a cache, to logging properly, moving trackable items, and search techniques while hunting for the elusive cache.

Working only on the search technique:

For starters, avoid trying to find micros. You need to practice on small and larger cache containers, as a micro could be as small (or smaller) than a hollowed-out bolt! And just where would you find a bolt? Think about it.

Stick to a difficulty rating of 2 stars or less. At least until you get the hang of it, then expand your horizons to find the harder and smaller caches. Remember, some placements are going to make you look/work for the find.

Once at GZ, that is when the GPSr indicates you are there -- put that thing away. If you are busy looking at the GPSr, you ain't looking for the cache. This is where the "hunt" begins, the GPSr only takes you to the location, it will only rarely take you to the cache.

At GZ, look for hiding places. Sometimes they are obvious, sometimes not. Oftentimes, it helps to think like a hider, rather than a hunter -- "Now where would I hide something around here?".

Do not concentrate on the ground either, look up, look under, look behind. Many times, standing and looking from different positions within this 20 -30 ft area will reveal the hiding spot. Different angles of sight produce some amazing results.

Last but certainly not least, read the other found it logs. Previous finders just may have unwittingly provided you with the hint you need.

Remember, practice make perfect (well, almost anyway). :)

Just don't assume that a cache is missing because you cannot find it. Most of the time it is there. Very experienced cachers miss caches (far more than they will admit to). When you have exhausted your search, post a DNF log and let it go. The CO will be the person that will determine whether it actually is missing or not. You can always return later -- and virtually kick yourself in the behind for not spotting it before! It's all part of the game. :)

I have gone looking for caches that have been archived between the time that I entered the coordinates in my GPS and the time that I went looking for them (not likely to have happened in most cases, though).

Ha! This happens a lot, also.

Stale PQ's in a GPSr are a lesson in their own right. We never go out caching with a PQ more than a week old anymore!

One other thing to note is that if you look up a cache page and it has two or three DNFs as the latest logs, it probably isn't there.
As others have indicated, that depends on the difficulty of the hide. A 1-star hide that never had a DNF until a month ago, and has had only DNFs since? It's probably missing. A 5-star hide that doesn't have a string of DNFs between Finds? It's probably overrated.

And sometimes, even cache owners can't find their own caches due to cache migration (i.e., when each finder hides it in a slightly different place). I've found caches that the owners had replaced/archived when they couldn't find them, but the original container was still there.

I've only been geocaching for a short period of time, and the huge number of different types of caches (or stages) that you can find is mind-numbing. When I first started, I thought everything had to be an ammo can, or a micro, or lock n lock.

HA! Since then, I've found caches disguised as many things. The multi-cache stages are another beast altogether! I've found stages with coords on closepins, tiny magnet pieces cut up, written on bolts, all sorts of things.

Also, if anyone can give me a hint on where to look on a tree for stage coords? Two multi's I've attempted led me to trees, in which I couldn't move on because I couldn't find it (no holes, not in the crooks of the branches)...where else to look?

So, don't give up, do a few caches with a difficulty of 1 or 2 stars, and get some more experience!

Also, if anyone can give me a hint on where to look on a tree for stage coords? Two multi's I've attempted led me to trees, in which I couldn't move on because I couldn't find it (no holes, not in the crooks of the branches)...where else to look?

Are you really, Really, REALLY sure that the tree is where it is? Just sayin'...... :ph34r::ph34r:

Are you really, Really, REALLY sure that the tree is where it is? Just sayin'...... :):)

LOL! Nope not sure at all, but the one I'm fairly sure of. There were no other things around other than digging, which is disallowed. So, the one I'm 90% sure, the other one about 60% sure. Although, since I've been looking at the post on custom cache containers, I have a few more ideas.

Worst I ever encountered was a dead tree that had had a branch removed and hollowed out. The coords were in a tag inside, then the branch was replaced. The fact that it was removable was totally non-obvious.

Though I actually spent more time looking for one where coords that were just on a tag tied around the base of a tree with string. There are a lot of trees in a forest.

Last time I counted frownies, my DNF rate was about 10%, but that's greatly improved by the fact I seldom hunt for a cache if the last log is a DNF.

I'm bummed out by a multistage like that near me. Have looked for hours for stage one (coordinates) to get to the stage 2 final cache. Stage one has been muggled a couple times and then the other times has just been plain old hard. So my theory is that until someone else finds stage 1 or the owner verifies it is there I'm not searching for that one again. Not to mention the owner has an issue with fuzzy coordinates as well. Which is sad because as a cache hiding place it really is meaningful and a nice place to hide one. I likely would not have made it as difficult though as the difficulty detracts from the historical significance of the site (as in you aren't relaxed enough to truly appreciate the meaning of it).