Rechargeable Batteries

I just got my new Magellan Triton 2000, and being the cheapskate I am, want to use rechargeable batteries. The manual, however, says that recharegeable batteries "are not recommended." No explanation given. Does anyone have any insight as to why Magellan wants us to steer clear of rechargeables? (Audio Technica likewise advises against rechargeables for my noise-cancelling headphones -- is there a trend here?) Thanks.

I just got my new Magellan Triton 2000, and being the cheapskate I am, want to use rechargeable batteries. The manual, however, says that recharegeable batteries "are not recommended." No explanation given. Does anyone have any insight as to why Magellan wants us to steer clear of rechargeables? (Audio Technica likewise advises against rechargeables for my noise-cancelling headphones -- is there a trend here?) Thanks.

Most of the time it's just because they are worried that you will think the device is a piece of junk if the rechargable batteries don't power the device optimally.

There might be some logic behind the rate at which the batteries can provide power.

I don't see any way that a device could be ruined by undercurrent especially since the worst rechargable voltage is not any different than a low alkaline.

Rechargable batteries have a different discharge profile from alkaline batteries. The unit's firmware may not be programmed for it, and so will not be able to warn you of low battery.

Rechargable batteries are listed as 1.2V (compared to 1.5V for alkaline batteries). However, they can supply a much higher current without voltage drop, due to their lower internal resistance.

I seem to find reports of people using NiMH on their Magellan Triton 2000 on the Internet. Hopefully someone here can give you first hand accounts.

They've evidently done a design where the nominal 1.2V of a NiMH cell x number of cells won't get them the voltage that they need. In this day of NiMH everywhere on the shelves, that's pretty shortsighted.

It's not like 1.2V is going to hurt anything .. your device will either balk at the low voltage or it won't. Worst case is that you won't get near the full capacity of the cell used before the device turns off. If you already have some around with a decent charger, see how it works out for you.

If you are truly a cheapskate you should really do the math. Be honest and include all the costs of the rechargables. If you do, you will likely find that alkalines are cheaper than rechargables.

I bought into the nonsense about rechargables being both hugely more economical and more ecologically responsible. After using them for a few years and finally doing a little research and calculation I discovered what a load both arguments really are. I no longer use them. I just go pick up house brand alkalines in bulk at Costco (48 pack for about $13) or Superstore (40 pack for about $13).

...ken...

If you are truly a cheapskate you should really do the math. Be honest and include all the costs of the rechargables. If you do, you will likely find that alkalines are cheaper than rechargables.

I bought into the nonsense about rechargables being both hugely more economical and more ecologically responsible. After using them for a few years and finally doing a little research and calculation I discovered what a load both arguments really are. I no longer use them. I just go pick up house brand alkalines in bulk at Costco (48 pack for about $13) or Superstore (40 pack for about $13).

...ken...

Please do the math for me and show your results. Lets say we go caching for, oh, 120 times a year. I did the math and rechargeables are a no brainer. Are you saying I have no brain?

Please do the math for me and show your results. Lets say we go caching for, oh, 120 times a year. I did the math and rechargeables are a no brainer. Are you saying I have no brain?

Well, if he's only found one cache since 2008, obviously Alkaline batteries would be more economical :)

(yes, yes, I realize you may not log, this is not your caching account, all sorts of reason. Don't spoil a joke.)

I know that NiMH are a no-brainer for me. I did the math (and I use them in other equipment as well). They last longer than alkaline batteries as well. For some, alkaline may be the answer. For others, even disposable lithium.

I have saved hundreds over the years using NIMH rechargeables The main thing is to have a quality charger-reconditioner. MAHA chargers work great and the MAHA PowerX batteries are super.........for 7 years and hundreds of geocaching outings they have worked fine.

As has been said, try them and see if they work.

I have saved hundreds over the years using NIMH rechargeables The main thing is to have a quality charger-reconditioner. MAHA chargers work great and the MAHA PowerX batteries are super.........for 7 years and hundreds of geocaching outings they have worked fine.

Thanks for the info. I'm researching the C9000 now, and although it seems feature-rich and versatile, I wish I was more familiar with the terminology such as mAh and concepts such as discharging, refreshing, and cycling in order to take advantage of it.

Edited by hdarpini

Yeah, a bad charger will greatly reduce the lifetime of NiMH batteries. Getting a good charger with independent charging circuits for each cell is critical.

So let's see, assuming you ONLY power one device (and hence ONLY require one 4-pack of NiMH AAs at most:)

4-pack of ULSD NiMH AAs - $12 approx

LaCrosse BC-700 - $28 approx

Total - $40

So if alkalines are $13 per 48 - that will get you 3x48 = 146 alkalines (3x13 = 39.)

146 alkalines can be matched with 36.5 recharge cycles of your NiMHs - this is WELL within the cycle lifetime of NiMHs even with a junky charger.

Note that in many devices, the high internal resistance of alkalines will cause them to not last nearly as long as NiMHs, reducing the number of recharge cycles to break even. (Photographic flash units are an extreme example - it's nearly impossible to run them off of alkalines, the recycle time skyrockets and the life is only tens of pops instead of 100-200)

If you buy more than 1 4-pack of AAs (hence making the charger cost factor in less), the advantage turns even closer towards NiMHs, with the extreme being:

1 4-pack of ULSD NiMH AAs = $12

1 48-pack of Alkaline AAs = $13

Forgetting the $1 difference, that's 12 recharge cycles or less.

This is not counting the significant amounts of waste alkalines generate. NiMHs don't have the toxic waste disposal problems NiCds did.

Edit: I have the MaHa MH-C9000 and love it, however for most people, the LaCrosse BC-700 is more than sufficient and is around $20 less, plus is physically smaller. The MaHa is a bit bulky.

Edited by Entropy512

Not to spoil a joke, but the cache count is close. I've actually gone after about a dozen and found half of them. I have insufficient interest in caching to get into all the logging and such. I logged my very first one just to understand the process. My eTrex Legend HCx is used mostly on the golf course and for hiking and biking.

I'm mostly interested in the related technologies and this forum is an excellent place to follow its development. One of the best.

I have the Powerex (Maha) C9000 charger. It's my second one .. first was defective. It's a fine charger.

Figure out how many alkalines it takes to pay for that sucker at 48 batteries for $13.

I bougth eight of the Powerex 2700 mAh batteries at the same time as I bought the charger. They lasted a fraction of the time of my cheap Sanyo 2300 and 2500 mAh batteries. Less than a year before they were pretty much useless. They were charged faithfully in the Powerex charger from Day 1. By contrast, the Sanyos have been charged in a variety of chargers, starting with the cheap wall charger that comes bundled with a four-pack. My experience with Sanyo's Eneloops has also been pretty good.

A pair of cheap alkalines lasts 22 - 24 hours in my eTrex Legend HCx.

My NiMH batteries do not last nearly as long on a charge as a pair of alkalines, even when new and properly charged. They get worse as they get older. I have not found that the Powerex C9000 makes a lot of difference to either the amount of charge you can get into the batteries or the total battery life.

The disposable Lithium AAs last a little bit longer but not a lot. The first set I tried (Eveready) lasted the same time as the house brand alkalines I use. The second set - provided as a free replacement when I complained about the life of the first set - weren't much better. Not a good deal. And lithium is poison when disposed of.

I also waste huge amounts of electricity - relatively to the battery use - charging and recharging.

As the jokester implied, I don't use my batteries a lot. My most-used devices (PDA, small camera, phone) have rechargable lithium ion batteries in them. The camera and handheld GPS that use AA batteries don't get used as frequently. So, often, the NiMH rechargables will get charged and rundown and charged sometimes as much as three times before they get used.

When I stopped and actually looked at how I use AA batteries I quickly discovered that rechargables simply make no sense for me with my particular usage patterns.

I offer this not to discourage people from using rechargables but to think really seriously about their usage patterns before commiting to them. Don't automatically buy into the babble about how they are cheaper and better for the environment.

They might or might not be cheaper. You need to do the math for your own usage patterns.

And they are definitely not better for the environment. They are poison. The fact that you might use fewer of them doesn't change that.

...ken...

All of my Maggies seem to like the stronger Alkalines better. For the more serious use, I use the Alk's in my 1500, otherwise, the 2650 mAh "recharges", and get by OK. I usuall replace batteries before they get below half full. I have no idea how much more the camera, flashlight, backlight, and touch screen might need/use.

I offer this not to discourage people from using rechargables but to think really seriously about their usage patterns before commiting to them. Don't automatically buy into the babble about how they are cheaper and better for the environment.

They might or might not be cheaper. You need to do the math for your own usage patterns.

The jokester totally agrees with this.

And they are definitely not better for the environment. They are poison. The fact that you might use fewer of them doesn't change that.

I believe you've stated this in the past. Please provide proof or reference of this, taking into consideration each battery replaces 200 alkaline cells in its lifetime (and they're supposed to last 500 - 1000 recharges). Perhaps you're mistaking NiMH with NiCD?

The charger I use in a MAHA MH-C401FS....it has 4 seperate charging circuits. I use a min. of 6 batteries per outing and bring 6 charged spares ( almost never used...thats just me)

They last 8+ hours in the field in my Garmin and Magellans so I VERY rarely change them in the field. We do from 80 to 100 or so geocaching outings a year so I would use about 400-500 alk. batteries a year.

MAHA claims around 1000 charges per battery....in 7 years I think I've had 1 battery I couldn't use.

Tenergy and others have worked fine.....I really think its the charger that makes the difference.

Regarding cost each person should run the numbers depending on their usage.........in 7 years I would have used WAY over 2000 batteries.....thats a no-brainer ( and all my batteries are still fine )

A pair of cheap alkalines lasts 22 - 24 hours in my eTrex Legend HCx.

When I stopped and actually looked at how I use AA batteries I quickly discovered that rechargables simply make no sense for me with my particular usage patterns. . . . They might or might not be cheaper. You need to do the math for your own usage patterns.

Your battery life experience with the Legend HCx is only one hour shy of Garmin's published spec (so maybe some manufacturer battery life specs are more than just hype).

But you're right -- it depends. And looking at my useage -- a moderately-used GPS, four TV-related remotes, two Wii remotes, a wireless mouse, a wireless keyboard, noise-cancelling headphones, and a few other gadgets I have laying around -- rechargeables are the way to go (and have been for several years).

This is especially true given that I can't fiind a 48-pack of Alkalines for nearly the price you can where I live. I checked both Sam's Club and Costco and the best bulk price I could find was about a buck a battery, roughly a quarter of what you pay. If I paid what you do, I might consider throw-aways, just for the convenience factor, but in the long run, I think that with my usage, my investment in a new charger such as the C9000 that you have (my thanks to Bamboozle for putting the thought in my head to do some research on MAHA and other comparable chargers) and the 2650 mAh batteries I already have will pay off.