How awesome would it be if we could create a geocoin price guide?

schwerzels

I think this would be a lot of fun for the debates that would ensue. It would liven up the place. Can you give us some examples of "stupid" prices to kick this off ? We might agree or you may get flamed.

Edit: The Mods would have to allow some leeway.

Edited by haysonics

Sounds like you are suggesting the end price on ebay reflects a coins value ? I'd agree it reflects the market value of a coin on ebay on a particular day BUT I think schwerzels is interested in determining more of an "average" value for different coins.

Edited by haysonics

Sounds like you are suggesting the end price on ebay reflects a coins value ? I'd agree it reflects the market value of a coin on ebay on a particular day BUT I think schwerzels is interested in determining more of an "average" value for different coins.

How do you determine that?

Good luck. I've seen what I would consider a good and hard to find OOP coin sell for big bucks one day and then the same coin edition sell for nothing another day.

I've seen coins with large minting numbers command crazy high prices, while true limited coins get a fraction of their real value.

There's no way a "guide" could be created since way too many people don't buy geocoins based on age/production number/rarity or any other factors that typically apply to most collectibles.

Edited by AtlantaGal

"end price"

... How do you determine that?

Someone creates a price guide based on their careful and considerate study of the marketplace (and then everyone makes jokes about the listed prices having been determined by a lunatic)

There's no way a "guide" could be created since way too many people don't buy geocoins based on age/production number/rarity or any other factors that typically apply to most collectibles.

That's probably because there is no price guide :anicute:

But seriously, I guess a lot of it has to do with the lack of available info. If a price guide included production numbers that would help a lot of folks.

Edited by haysonics

Geocoins on ebay are like a real estate, they are worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it, and seller is willing to sell it for. Ebay prices are not actual coin prices, and for that matter, what you see on ebay might not necessarily be a real geocoin. On ebay, it's buyer beware, and do your research before bidding.

And have you considered the logistics of this task? Some coins had only a few minted, they become rare and hard to find, and this can drive prices up. And there are thousands of geocoins out there now, both trackable, and non-trackable.

I think it would be more helpful just to have a guide with year, finishes and numbers produced. Anyone interested in a coin could just look at the list and make their own judgement on what a fair price would be.

True, but there are several vendors who will never reveal their minting numbers. So this would probably only work for personals since most people know how many of their own coins were minted.

I have kept an excel sheet with data on every coin I have ever produced, including minting numbers for each plating.

There are no secrets in my minting numbers (what's the point) and I will make them readily available to anyone who asks.

~J

But you know there are several vendors that won't.