Etrex Cx

My wife and I recently started geocaching and immediatly loved it. I found a Lowrance ifinder H2O for $60.00 and we got started, the only thing I didn't like was the lcd screen, and if I was to download anything from my computer I would need to spend another $50.00 for the cable. So I found a refurbished Etrex Cx for $120.00 with all the cables. But I find the Lowrance to be more accurate, and I mean alot, like 50-90 feet.

I keep hoping something is not setup correctly. With the Lowrance we use the compass for findingthe cache, and the compas on the Etrex is not even close sometimes. I thought maybe someone with more GPS experience might be able to help, so here I am.

I traveled a similar path.. My earlier GPSr was a Lowrance iFinder Pro and then I upgraded to a Garmin Vista Cx :)

The iFinder Pro was an awesome device when new, IMO one of the best GPSr's on the market. But I've since really enjoyed the Vista, and personally I think the accuracy of it is as-good-if-not-better than the iFinder..

Is your map Datum set correctly on your Cx? How about the coordinate format? Set to DD MM.MMMM?

...and I mean alot, like 50-90 feet.
Post above mentions the most important starting point. Depending upon where you live, numbers like those (and worse) can occur if your GPS is set to the old NAD27 datum instead of the WGS84 datum. Over the years, the idea of "where things really are" has moved around a bit, and geocachers all assume the newer datum. Your eTrex "Setup" allows you to select this. First assure you're on WGS84.
The eTrex models mentioned do not have a high-sensitivity chipset, so their accuracy ids greatly limited.
Accuracy and sensitivity are NOT the same thing. I have a Cx and found it to be as accurate, perhaps more so, as my Colo. It was prone to lose signal in difficult, heck even in easy, situations. But when it was happy with the signal, awesome. Case in point:

GndCanyon7284.jpg

My old Garmin Legend (not the Cx) is still considered by me to be my most accurate gps....out of the 4 I own.

I've heard of individual characteristics on many gps's of the same model/make.

In your case however.....it sounds like you have something set up wrong.

Datum or Coord set issue?

Positin format is set to hddd mm.mmm and thedatum is wgs 84. I was really hoping I did miss something.

I traveled a similar path.. My earlier GPSr was a Lowrance iFinder Pro and then I upgraded to a Garmin Vista Cx :anicute:

The iFinder Pro was an awesome device when new, IMO one of the best GPSr's on the market. But I've since really enjoyed the Vista, and personally I think the accuracy of it is as-good-if-not-better than the iFinder..

Is your map Datum set correctly on your Cx? How about the coordinate format? Set to DD MM.MMMM?

...and I mean alot, like 50-90 feet.
Post above mentions the most important starting point. Depending upon where you live, numbers like those (and worse) can occur if your GPS is set to the old NAD27 datum instead of the WGS84 datum. Over the years, the idea of "where things really are" has moved around a bit, and geocachers all assume the newer datum. Your eTrex "Setup" allows you to select this. First assure you're on WGS84.

Yes, datum is set to wgs 84, position format is hddd mm.mmm. Anything else I could have missed?

My old Garmin Legend (not the Cx) is still considered by me to be my most accurate gps....out of the 4 I own.

I've heard of individual characteristics on many gps's of the same model/make.

In your case however.....it sounds like you have something set up wrong.

Datum or Coord set issue?

I've read similar posts about the accuracy of the Garmin legend, which is what prompted me to post this about my inaccuracy.

Thanks

Do you have detailed maps? Are you set to lock on road?

Have you updated the firmware? There were known problems with this specific unit....

If all else fails give the unit a master reset and let it soak the satellites in an open area. As stated, the unit's accuracy should be as good as anything.

My wife and I recently started geocaching and immediatly loved it. I found a Lowrance ifinder H2O for $60.00 and we got started, the only thing I didn't like was the lcd screen, and if I was to download anything from my computer I would need to spend another $50.00 for the cable. So I found a refurbished Etrex Cx for $120.00 with all the cables. But I find the Lowrance to be more accurate, and I mean alot, like 50-90 feet.

I keep hoping something is not setup correctly. With the Lowrance we use the compass for findingthe cache, and the compas on the Etrex is not even close sometimes. I thought maybe someone with more GPS experience might be able to help, so here I am.

Why would you purchase a refurbished, discontinued model when, for the same price, you could have purchased a new Venture HC? :anicute:

Do you have detailed maps? Are you set to lock on road?

Have you updated the firmware? There were known problems with this specific unit....

If all else fails give the unit a master reset and let it soak the satellites in an open area. As stated, the unit's accuracy should be as good as anything.

Yes I have detailed maps, and yes lock on road was set, will that make a difference? Where can I check the firmware version, during start up?

Thanks

Why would you purchase a refurbished, discontinued model when, for the same price, you could have purchased a new Venture HC? :o

Well, because I've purchased refurbished electronics in the past with absolutely no problems, they do still come from the factory with a one year warranty. The legend gives me turn by turn directions and accepts a micro sd card as well as other little differences for as you said the same price. As for the unit being discontinued I have yet to see a problem with that. Just this minor accuracy problem.

Yes I have detailed maps, and yes lock on road was set, will that make a difference? Where can I check the firmware version, during start up?

Thanks

Aw Geez... yes. Because the geolocation of roads isn't always as precise as it might be, the "Lock on Road" feature exists to allow the GPS to guess on your location based upon where it thinks the road to be. It keeps the little icon for your position from wandering "off road" while you're driving.

Until you get a ways off of a road that it knows about, it will continue to try to locate you ON the road, at 90 degrees to your current position. You must turn that feature off if you are anywhere near a road when caching.

Why would you purchase a refurbished, discontinued model when, for the same price, you could have purchased a new Venture HC? :o

That's easy. Yes the HC has a newer better chip but it also has essentially no memory for maps. The OP expressed an interest in maps. Any "x" model can accept a 2GB microSD card for many states worth of 24K Topos. You must not use maps. :o

Thanks

Aw Geez... yes. Because the geolocation of roads isn't always as precise as it might be, the "Lock on Road" feature exists to allow the GPS to guess on your location based upon where it thinks the road to be. It keeps the little icon for your position from wandering "off road" while you're driving.

Until you get a ways off of a road that it knows about, it will continue to try to locate you ON the road, at 90 degrees to your current position. You must turn that feature off if you are anywhere near a road when caching.

Well thank you, when it stops raining here I will go out and check it. That has to be the problem though, the cache was near the road and on other caches not near a road it was pretty accurate.

Thank you again.