Geocaching.com App for Droid

This official app has been announced a good while back. What is the status? I think "Coming Soon" has come and gone. Can't y'all release what you have and then issue Updates on a regular basis until it's complete as most of the apps in the Market do? It sure would cut down on the "What's the best app to use on my Droid?" question!

This official app has been announced a good while back. What is the status? I think "Coming Soon" has come and gone. Can't y'all release what you have and then issue Updates on a regular basis until it's complete as most of the apps in the Market do? It sure would cut down on the "What's the best app to use on my Droid?" question!

There are two that I have tried geobeagle and (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak). They are both free. I like (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) better.

The reason that (reference to unauthorized application removed by author) is better is because it violates the Groundspeak TOU to scrape information from the web site, where GeoBeagle respects the Groundspeak TOU and gets information only from PQs and links to Google Maps.

Personally, I've been happy with GeoBeagle for more than a year (since the early days when it was called GeoBrowse).

Maybe Groundspeak could get together with the not to be mentioned geocache app developer and make something great happen. The not to be mentioned app is phenomenal. It appears to be created and fully functional long before GS approved app has even been shown to the general public. Come on Groundspeak, make something happen!

Jim

Edited by jimandsue60

Can't y'all release what you have and then issue Updates on a regular basis until it's complete as most of the apps in the Market do? It sure would cut down on the "What's the best app to use on my Droid?" question!

Agreed!

Well put! Pretty much EVERY other android app on the market does it this way. Then you won't loose potential customers to other apps like you are doing every single day. :)

Maybe Groundspeak could get together with the not to be mentioned geocache app developer and make something great happen.

it's not up to the froggie to get together with anybody. It is the responsibility of a developer to comply with the TOS of any site they access. Since this application scraps as a basic part of its operation I don't see what could be done.

The froggie has in the past developed ways to identify scrapers and locked the account of people using them. I always thought a better system would have been to detect it and then changed the coordinates by 100 feet. That would be fun.

No, you don't want it right now :blink:

What you want is something that's reliable and works well. The official app is going to rock, and be far superior to the app whose name shall not be mentioned here.

Although, the app whose name shall not be mentioned here is pretty great. Namely the compass, but it has no offline support. That alone makes it pretty questionable. I must-have offline support.