Breast Cancer Angel Geocoin- info and updates

Doctor A

I heard from Eric and the coins arrived yesterday. He let me know that orders that were pre-paid are now shipping out! He'll be sending out invoices for those that did reservations instead of pre-paid orders, shortly. Apparently there are some people who did pre-orders but haven't paid yet, so if you fall into that category, you might want to check and see if you have a paypal invoice that still needs to be paid?

;) I understand the fear and all that goes with women and being told, "you have breast cancer"!

But as a male, it seems that the American Cancer Soc and all else, thinks Breast Cancer is the only cancer!

I for instance, am fighting "Bladder Cancer" and how about all the Prostate Cancer and all the Other Cancers!

Breast Cancer is NOT the only Cancer! :unsure:

;) I understand the fear and all that goes with women and being told, "you have breast cancer"!

But as a male, it seems that the American Cancer Soc and all else, thinks Breast Cancer is the only cancer!

I for instance, am fighting "Bladder Cancer" and how about all the Prostate Cancer and all the Other Cancers!

Breast Cancer is NOT the only Cancer! :unsure:

Cherokee Bill, I'm sure sorry about your cancer diagnosis, and the diagnosis of anyone who gets diagnosed with ANY form of cancer. It's not something anyone should have to deal with. I'd venture to guess that breast cancer probably does get more publicity than other cancers just because of the prevalence rates- anything that affects more people is likely to garner more publicity. That doesn't diminish the cancer that anyone else is dealing with.

Personally, I know there are worse cancers I could have been diagnosed with- if you want to look at impact on life, pancreatic cancer is probably one of the worst, but again, the prevalence is fairly low compared to something like breast cancer, so we don't hear as much about it. I do hear a fair amount about prostate cancer, since many people are diagnosed with that.

There was another geocoin earlier this year that was devoted to other forms of cancer, so I wouldn't say that other cancers are ignored in the realm of geocoins, and even though I didn't read back through this thread, I don't think that anything posted here ever implied that breast cancer was the only cancer, or that there was anything more important about breast cancer than any other cancer. The reality is that what geocoins are made in tribute to is based on who decides to design a coin, pay for a coin, etc, and so if there happen to be a lot of people who have the ability to design a coin who are affected by any specific illness or condition, you're likely to see more coins devoted to that condition and more focus on it- that's a function of where people choose to place and expend their resources. So this thread started out about my personal question about breast cancer specific geocoins, because yes, that's what touched my life, and then it transformed into a thread about a breast cancer geocoin because yes, that's where I decided to focus my energy.

I'd imagine that there would be support for a geocoin focused on bladder cancer or prostate cancer or almost any type of cancer and I'd encourage anyone who has been affected by such cancers to consider whether designing a coin would be therapeutic for you and perhaps, like this coin as well as the other recent breast cancer coin, generate a donation to support that cancer specific charity.

I'd prefer not to see this thread degenerate into negativity or any sort of argument about what cancer is more deserving, more important, what cancer might have been cheated or ignored or neglected, etc., and I really felt like your post, together with the angry face, is taking it in that direction. We should all support each other in dealing with whatever cancer it is, not let it turn into feelings of anger or resentment about who gets the most attention/support/etc. Please keep this thread focused on the breast cancer angel geocoin.

Not sure if anyone else got their coins today, but my sister just called me to tell me that she got hers. I was hoping to be the first person to see them live and in-person so was a little bit jealous when she told me that :) , but was glad to hear how much she liked them. She said she was "quite impressed" and that they were even nicer looking than the pictures! I hope to hear from other people about what your impression of them is!

When these coins were made, there was a limited number made in the Artist Edition finish, satin nickel. One of these is being auctioned off on ebay right now. This one is offered for auction as a thank you to someone who did a good deed for me earlier this year when I was diagnosed. There is one more of the AE coins that may be auctioned off on ebay, but aside from those two, all of the coins in this finish are staying with me or my immediate family. So if you're interested in having this coin in this finish, please check out this auction. Both of the two that will be offered for auction are being offered to help out two very good causes/people, so please consider bidding:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200542816458

When these coins were made, there was a limited number made in the Artist Edition finish, satin nickel. One of these is being auctioned off on ebay right now. This one is offered for auction as a thank you to someone who did a good deed for me earlier this year when I was diagnosed. There is one more of the AE coins that may be auctioned off on ebay, but aside from those two, all of the coins in this finish are staying with me or my immediate family. So if you're interested in having this coin in this finish, please check out this auction. Both of the two that will be offered for auction are being offered to help out two very good causes/people, so please consider bidding:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200542816458

It is unfortunate that international buyers cannot bid on this auction, here’s hoping this is a mistake.

Just received my coins in the mail from USA coins. Very fast service and beautiful angels. Thank you for the great work you put into this DoctorA.

Glad you liked it! Actually, it was partly because of your encouragement and a suggestion that it probably even got made at all, so you had a hand in it and I probably never thanked you for that, so thank you very much! At a time when I was thinking it wouldn't happen, your email spurred me to take some action that led to it getting finished.

I wanted to let people know some exciting news about this geocoin- it now has it's own custom icon. There was some confusion about this to begin with, as it didn't have an icon at first. But I decided that I really, really wanted it to have one, so now it does. If anyone wants to see what it is, you can check out my geocoin: TB418KM, or if you activated one of your own, check out it's page and as of today, it should show up with the icon there.

I'm hoping that this makes the coin more appealing to those who might have not liked the fact that it didn't come with an icon and may not have ordered a coin for that reason. I asked Erik what was left in stock and it sounds like there are about 5 or so of each finish left, so if anyone needs to order a coin, there are a few left for grabs. I'd absolutely LOVE it if there was enough demand to do another run of the coins, and even make some other colors or finishes. I already have been asked why there was no redhead and so that would be a color scheme I'd definitely want to include in a remint- my apologies to the redheads who I completely forgot about when designing the coin. Anyway, the coins are available at usageocoins!