Breast Cancer Angel Geocoin- info and updates

Doctor A

Being a geocacher who loves geocoins and who was just diagnosed with breast cancer on Dec 29th, I found myself googling "breast cancer geocoins" to see if there were any geocoins that had been made to support this disease or raise awareness. It looks to me like there are three:

Breast Cancer Fundraiser Geocoin

Breast Cancer Geocoin

Breast Cancer Travel Tag Geocoin

But I can't seem to find out who makes them and if they're available for purchase anymore. Does anyone know? Given that this obviously has great personal significance to me now, it'd mean the world to me if I were able to find somewhere to buy unactivated versions of these coins.

Edited by Eartha

So sorry about your diagnosis.

I think the travel tags are still available at coins and pins, but their website is currently being rebuilt and I don't know if they have another vendor outlet in the US. You could email them and ask.

Most of the coins are long sold out. I remember three different geocoins over the years, but there may have been others.

Canadian Pink Ribbon (minted by coins and pins)

Cachers for the Cure Pink Ribbon (minted by coins and pins)

Cachers Against Cancer (minted by k2coins)

I have a few of the Cachers for the Cure LEs still.

I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. My sister in law is living with breast cancer. I have a traveling Breast Cancer Pink Ribbon coin and I will adopt it over to you if you would like. You could change the mission to what ever you like if you want it to travel. It is currently in a cache in Washington and you could possibly ask someone to pick it up and mail it to you if you want it in hand.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I had originally thought maybe it'd be a great idea to make a coin, but then thought to google to see if anyone had done that already, and sure enough found that those three had been made, but it looked like they'd all been a couple of years ago, like in 2006 or so. So I guess it's not an original idea at this point, which is kind of what I expected. So then I decided that I'd like to at least find a way to purchase those for myself. I've saved a search on ebay to look to see if any come up there, so maybe I can colelct all three that way, and will also check out the websites people mentioned. I wasn't doing too much cahcing back in 2006 and wasn't nearly as aware of or as interested in geocoins back then, so never knew about these.

Thanks for all the generous offers as well- I do appreciate them!

There were several posts here that dragged a thread about a serious question into the dirt. Anything transaction issues that anyone has, deal with it offline. I hid those posts, so as to clean this thread back up, and take personal issues out of it.

Let me rattle off a few pertinent guidelines here, before we get this thread back on topic, failure to follow the guidelines can result in a temporary loss of posting rights:

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

6. Private discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, we ask that you please use the Private Message feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general geocaching community.

13. Abuse of this forum will be not be tolerated.

To ensure that this forum is a success, please respect our ground rules when it comes to selling and trading of coins:

# Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

# Individual negotiations or information exchanges should take place through private e-mail or telephone correspondence, not on this board. Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

Doctor A, you may have your thread back now. I'm sorry it was brought off topic.

I too am looking for a Breast Cancer, or just a general Cancer Geocoin. My mother has made it through this and we have a cache dedicated to finding the cure. I would love to either purchase a cancer coin for her and release it from our cache for everyone to see, or if anyone happens to have a a traveling cancer coin they would like to mail me and I could log it into our cache.

Links or suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

Would anyone be interested in designing a breast cancer geocoin and having a group of people go in to make the coin? Perhaps there could be a special limited edition metal for the people who help fund the project. I would be willing to help fund the design as well as the production. I, however, have no artistic talent.

Would anyone be interested in designing a breast cancer geocoin and having a group of people go in to make the coin? Perhaps there could be a special limited edition metal for the people who help fund the project. I would be willing to help fund the design as well as the production. I, however, have no artistic talent.

I see that my thread was resurrected after being dormant for awhile. And actually, after I posted this thread, I started thinking the same thing- why not make a coin? Through responses to this thread, I found out that there were some breast cancer coins that had been made in the past that are no longer being minted and thought maybe it was time for a new one.

So I'm actually working with a vendor on a breast cancer coin, based on a design I had in mind. And I think it's a win-win situation because the vendor is going to donate a portion of each coin sold to charity, so the coin will support breast cancer, plus there'll get to be a new breast cancer coin out there to raise awareness and to commemorate something that obviously is personally meaningful to many of us. It's still early in the project so I hadn't posted anything on the forums yets, but since this question came up, it seemed appropriate to let people know that something is in the works...

I see that my thread was resurrected after being dormant for awhile. And actually, after I posted this thread, I started thinking the same thing- why not make a coin? Through responses to this thread, I found out that there were some breast cancer coins that had been made in the past that are no longer being minted and thought maybe it was time for a new one.

So I'm actually working with a vendor on a breast cancer coin, based on a design I had in mind. And I think it's a win-win situation because the vendor is going to donate a portion of each coin sold to charity, so the coin will support breast cancer, plus there'll get to be a new breast cancer coin out there to raise awareness and to commemorate something that obviously is personally meaningful to many of us. It's still early in the project so I hadn't posted anything on the forums yets, but since this question came up, it seemed appropriate to let people know that something is in the works...

That is wonderful news. I hope you will keep us informed as to the sale date.

Will be truly interested !

Will be truly interested !

Please, please - add me to the interested list!

Wanted to update everyone- the breast cancer coin is moving along and I have a first version of the die art from the company I'm working with. I'm going to start a seperate thread specifically for this coin, but also in case anyone was subscribing to this thread, wanted to post the info here as well. So here's a link to the art, check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.usageocoins.com/bcangel.htm

A few months ago, shortly after being diagnosed with breast cancer myself, I started looking for breast cancer geocoins. People on this forum were quite helpful in pointing me towards ones that had been minted in the past. Eventually I decided I wanted to have one minted. So here's the first version of the die art from the company I'm working with in developing a coin, the sale of which will generate a donation to support breast cancer- I'm sure people who are on here a lot have seen that USA Geocoins does a lot with coins for various charities, so I'm pleased to be working with them, since I know they've used their coins to support quite a few very worthy charities, and now it'll be one I feel strongly about. Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.usageocoins.com/bcangel.htm

I accidentally merged two different Breast Cancer Awareness threads together, and have separated them again. I do hope that everyone's posts ended up in the correct thread, and I apologize for the mix up. Thank you Erik K for pointing out the mix up.

Wonderful coin, can't wait to get ahold of one since I just got into the hobby and recently lost a close friend way too young to breast cancer. The thoughts and prayers of myself and my family are with you.

I love the coin and will definitely have to have some. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope it all turns out all right for you.

Thanks all- my health is doing well and I'm thrilled to be able to be a part of making this coin. Will definitely post updates here as it progresses!

Thought I'd let people know that the coin is progressing. Here are the finishes that are planned, with the hair colors that will go with each:

V1-Polished Gold finish-yellow hair

V2-Polished Nickel-black hair

V3-Antique Bronze-brown hair

V4-Antique Silver-brown hair

V5-Polished Nickel-brown hair

V7-Skin PMS 464-hair black (this skin color is an African-American skintone)

Hopefully this will give people a nice variety of choices in finishes and hair and skin colors to choose from, so that everyone can find a combo they like!

Well it's with a very heavy heart, and with many tears, that I post this update to this thread. I wrote a reply many times over the past week and then just could never bring myself to actually make a post, but I know that I need to resolve this. I know that many people are watching the thread and also several people had privately asked me to update them by email about the status of my coin, which I'll be doing individually as well. When I've been asked recently about what was happening with it, I've had to reply "I don't know". After a couple of months of that vague reply, I've had to finally conclude that the coin isn't going to come to fruition. I think it was a great design and a great concept, and I wish there was a way to see it completed, but it just doesn't look like that's in the cards... :D

I hate to hear that, I just found this thread and was getting excited about getting this great coin. I have family that has been impacted by breast cancer and also working in Radiology ( in the vascular lab) we work a lot with people that have been newly diagnosed. If you are able to get some where with getting this coin made please put me on the list as being interested!! Hope you can get something worked out and glad to hear your doing well with you treatment. :D

Well I'm happy to report that even though it looked like it wasn't going to happen, things did end up working out for this coin to be minted. It's now available for reservations at:

http://www.usageocoins.com/geocoins.htm

There are pictures of the sample coins shown on this page as well. Sorry for the back and forth about whether it was going to get done or not, but glad to report that it's a go now!

Just wanted to update everyone and let you know that the ETA for these geocoins is about two weeks. The current Yemon Yime breast cancer geocoin has caused quite a stir (yep, I ordered a few myself!) and is clearly going to generate a nice donation for a breast cancer charity, and I hope that my breast cancer coin will do the same. I'm pleased to see that so many geocachers are passionate about this cause and willing to support efforts to raise awareness and fund raising.