What are the Waypoints in the Query ZIP?

I've used Queries for years. However never unzipped the Waypoints that comes in the Query.

Are the waypoints duplicates of the caches in the GPX file?

Only asking because I can load the unzipped Query to my Android. What are the waypoints doing, if anything?

Searched already. Eyes glazed over... :)

Edited by leatherman
I've used Queries for years. However never unzipped the Waypoints that comes in the Query.

Are the waypoints duplicates of the caches in the GPX file?

Only asking because I can load the unzipped Query to my Android. What are the waypoints doing, if anything?

Searched already. Eyes glazed over... :)

If an owner leaves things like parking coordinates, etc., on the cache page, those are included in the waypoints gpx file that comes along with your regular gpx file. They're typically unneeded for finding the cache, but can be helpful in getting you started.
Okay. I thought those would be included in the description of the cache. Good to know for paperless devices.

THX

Don't know which GPS you are using, nor if you are familiar with GSAK, but some clever folks have arranged to use GSAK to export the waypoint information as part of the description of the cache. If you were to simply copy the additional waypoint file onto some GPS units, these will show up as POI (rather than caches) and while in the area of a cache, you can search POI to see if there is any relevant information. Doesn't much help with parking once you've already found a place to park, of course :)

I use parking as a primary example since it shows up often, but the information could also be pointing you to a trailhead where your caching adventure should begin for best access.

more technical explanation: every geocache gets a GC number, right? like GCXXXX. this code is actually a waypoint code, with the first two characters roughly identifying the type of waypoint (GC = geocache). the regular GPX file only contains those GC waypoints and all associated information (description, logs, etc).

now a cache owner can create "additional waypoints" on a cache listing. when doing so, they're asked to provide a unique, two-character "prefix" for this waypoint. for example when creating a waypoint for parking coordinates, they could choose "PK" as prefix. now if the GC code for this listing was GCXXXX, then this parking waypoint would get the waypoint code PKXXXX: the "GC" of the GC code is replaced with the two-character prefix provided, and the result is the new waypoint code. and those are the waypoints you get in the additional -wpts GPX file: all non-GC waypoints.

Don't know which GPS you are using, nor if you are familiar with GSAK, but some clever folks have arranged to use GSAK to export the waypoint information as part of the description of the cache.

actually you don't need to do that, the cache description inside the regular GPX files already contains the "additional waypoints" at the end of the cache description. of course this is text only and doesn't appear as actual waypoint.