2010 Pirelli Event?

staton23

Would any of you be interested in getting together for a Pirelli event?

Pirelli GC1B56, is the oldest cache in the gulf besides one in Saudi Arabia. It also hasn't been visited in over a year. I plan on hitting this cache EARLY on a Friday morning in late May or early June and I would love to have some company. There is a camping spot at the beginning of the hike as well if anyone wants to camp. I'll just be there for the day though.

While Pirelli is technically in Oman, all you need is your passport when crossing from the UAE from Al Ain. So its a pretty easy process to get there.

Would anyone be interested in making it an event? Just let me know!

Rob (staton23)

I shouldn't even have to post here...

Carbon Hunters reply could have been, I'll grab Skyjuggler by the ears and drag him along :)

Count me in, work permitting...

There was an event a few years back to do this too.

Perhaps once you have a date - assuming it is longer than 2 weeks ahead - post it as an event.

My schedule is a little erratic at the moment because of work - so we will have to wait and see on your date.

I just got hold of my roster, unfortunately I'm a little limited with time.

I get off a night shift on the morning of 28 May at 6am, I'm off on the 29th.

On the 4th of June, I'm working n the afternoon so I won't be able to make it then. Having said that though, if you do choose a date like that, I'll do all that I can to attend. Sounds like a blast.

make the event for a breakfast/meeting in the desert - and there are some nearby caches too that can be done on the way to or after the event.

Perhaps plan to place a cache - or even better - an Earthcache in the are while you are there too.

WELL.... I tried to make it a breakfast meet and greet event, but I was STILL rejected. So I'm gonna call it quits and trying to create an event for fear I might piss off the reviewers.

So I am still planning on doing the Pirelli Cache on Saturday, May 29th at 8:00AM. If you could pass on the below info to other cachers, that would be great!

Here is the info needed...

Come one, come all Geocachers to the 2010 Pirelli Trek! Pirelli (GC1B56) is the second oldest active cache in the GCC countries, behind CRATERCACHE (GC4B0) in Saudi Arabia. It is the oldest active cache in Oman and the UAE. Since it hasn’t been found in almost 2 years, it would seem NOW is the time to make a visit.

The cache is technically in Oman, but can easily be reached from the UAE. You will need your passport, but no visa is currently necessary for crossing at the Hilli border crossing in Al Ain. (NOTE: To avoid confusion, TELL THE IMMIGRATION GUY THAT YOU ARE ONLY VISITING BURAIMI).

To make things easier, we will be meeting at a park called Madll Picnic Campaign in Oman at 8:00am the morning of the event.

Coords for the Park -

N 24° 22.586 E 055° 55.042

From there, we can carpool for those who have 2x4s or just don’t feeling like driving. It will take you approximately 15 minutes from the Border Post to get to the meeting Park, then another 15-20 minutes to get to the parking area to begin the hike to Pirelli.

There is also a nice camping spot at the beginning of the Pirelli hike, so feel to camp the night before, after or both if you’re coming from out of town or if you enjoy being under the stars.

Pirelli is a special cache. It is not easy to get to, but finding it is a very rewarding experience. The scenery on the way to the cachesite is spectacular. The placement of the cache is spectacular as well, and Patrick LaRocque and Andrew Foley deserve an honorable mention for figuring out the placement of Pirelli. US-A-Rabia also deserves a lot of credit for taking over the cache when it fell into disrepair and keeping it alive and well. Reaching the cache from the parking area will take about 30 or 40 minutes (if you are clever, or if you use the cheat-sheet available in “Why not go find Pirelli?” GC1657B cache). The roundtrip should take about 2 hours, allowing time to find the cache and take in the scenery.

Good morning

Sorry for being so quiet on this but things have been running away from me a little bit the last week or so. That unfortunately includes this weekend.

I'm afraid I'm now unable to attend because I need to attend a training course for my work.

Sorry guys, but I hope it's awesome. Take lots of water and wear sunblock :drama::laughing:

Well...

Pirelli was a DUD. We didn't even make it to Oman! As we sat in line at the border post, US-A-RABIA's SUV was rammed from behind by someone no paying attention. After pulling over, waiting on the police, etc, etc etc, he finally had to go down to the station to get things straightened out. So we called it a day at that point. TrueGeo was left near Pirelli but said he had a good day out there looking for other caches.

I'm really sorry if anyone else went out that way only to find us a no show. We'll try to plan another trip sometime in June?

Rob

Poor you guys! Here's our version from crossing that border a day later. We had no problem getting over and drove on towards Carbon Hunter's earthcache, noticing some nice earthcache oportunities on the way. Some 2km from that location our car stopped and we could not start it anymore. We walked back to the main road and hitchiked to a nearby filling station. An Indian guy who was standing there with his car transporter drove us back, picked up the car and drove us to a garage in Biraini. After some discussions we decided to call the rental company. Half an hour later we phoned again and it turned out our car has a build-in gps and a chip that kills the engine when leaving the UAE :laughing: So um... not a good idea to leave the UAE with some cars.