1 site, 2 PIDs??

Similar to KV4984 and KV4987 although these PIDs describe unique points on the same structure.

Mr. Magoo posted a possible reason for the unique points where one was suitable for day time observation and the light was suitable for night time long distance observation.

Since FB2454 and 55 include notations on both a mark and a signal/observation station, possibly a similar explanation applies to this pair of seemingly identical markers.

For those interested in further reading, I seem to recall a thread in this forum about Height of Light Above Marker which has some information about why lights were used.

Having looked at the descriptionsFB2454 which describes

quote:
STATION MARK, STANDARD DISK SET IN TOP OF OVAL STONE WHICH IS SET IN GROUND AND PROJECTS 2 IN. ABOVE SURFACE, AND IS LOCATED ON HIGHEST POINT 15 FT SE. OF SIGNAL AND OBSERVING TOWER. SIGNAL, TREE BRACED WITH FALLEN TREES, IN TOP OF WHICH WAS ERECTED AN OBSERVING PLATFORM
and the description FB2455 which describes
quote:
STATION MARK, STANDARD DISK SET IN TOP OF OVAL STONE WHICH IS SET IN GROUND AND PROJECTS 2 IN. ABOVE SURFACE, AND IS LOCATED ON HIGHEST POINT 15 FT SE. OF SIGNAL AND OBSERVING TOWER. SIGNAL, TREE BRACED WITH FALLEN TREES, IN TOP OF WHICH WAS ERECTED AN OBSERVING PLATFORM.

I would guess that sometime in 1928 or shortly thereafter, someone in the USGS made a mistake and either entered the same one twice or put the wrong information in for some other disk which is now undocumented... (Since they have different designations, I bet the description for FB2455, designation MT STERLING LOT is the one that is wrong, since it sounds like it should be a parking lot on/near Mt. Sterling...

This post has identified an error in the NGS data base. The description of FB2455 "MT STERLING LOT" should be "centerline of a 60 ft steel tower," not the survey mark on the ground located approximately 15 ft to the SW. I will forward this to be corrected. Thanks for pointing out the error.

quote:
Originally posted by amazar:

I bet the description for FB2455, designation MT STERLING _LOT_ is the one that is wrong, since it sounds like it should be a parking lot on/near Mt. Sterling...

From what I have seen, _LOT_ almost always refers to a lookout tower (LOT = LookOut Tower).