Question About Zip Codes, Benchmarks & Geocaching.com

jeff35080

This is just something I have wondered about and hopefully can get a definitive answer. As a child, on trips with my family, we would go down the interstate and the signs would tell you the milage to the next town. I always wondered if that was to the city limits or to the center of town, so naturally I am curious about the zip code search here on geocaching.com in relation to zip codes. Cheers!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

From the Census Bureau's TIGER FAQ:

We have produced, as a by product of other work, a point file containing a calculated internal point. This point was calculated in the computer from the locations of addresses with a specific ZIP Code and not out in the field using the Global Positioning System. Note, since ZIP codes are not specifically designed to be polygons (they are linear postal delivery routes) a given calculated internal point could be well away from the addresses it represents such as addresses clustered along an arc. An example would be addresses along a long arc-shaped street. Also, the file doesn't have ZIP Codes for completely commercial areas or for places with non-city-style addresses (most of the rural areas).

warm.gif

While the zip code search is a nifty way for beginners to get started, wouldn't it make more sense to key in a set of coordinates around which to search? Even if the closest you can get is coordinates of a cache in the general area of interest to start from it would be more applicable than from the much more anolamous zip code "point". Just a thought.

Good Hunting! -- Graveseeker

I have Found that most of the Data Centers around the Triangulation Station for that area.Example Cassville Triangulation Station,is the Control Point for those surveys, a search will reveal all the points associated with that specific survey. 1,2 3,order ect.If you use the NGS data base you can use their maps to aquire all the Benchmarks associated with each control point. www.ngs.noaa.gov/datasheet.html Map Search, Interactive Map

When all else fails Geotry again.

I think that it is Called the Center of the City.And Usually at the Courthouse.There may be others at the Post Office,Railroad Depot,Major Building that were around for a long time. I am refering to the Benchmarks.The original survey's were based on the Starting of that City,Town, community,usually centered around the Railroad Station ,Courthouse,Post Office,etc.The outlying areas were still undeveloped.

When all else fails Geotry again.