New Premium Member Question

hokiegary

I've just become a premium member and immediately set up a pocket query. We are going out of town and it was a great idea to load caches for that area. I received the file . I can't seem to find how do I now load those onto my GPS unit. Garmin E-trex Legend H.

Thanks!

I've just become a premium member and immediately set up a pocket query. We are going out of town and it was a great idea to load caches for that area. I received the file . I can't seem to find how do I now load those onto my GPS unit. Garmin E-trex Legend H.

Thanks!

You need to take the attached .zip file and put it into EasyGPS, Mapsource or GSAK and then use the program of choice to load it into your Etrex.

Thanks!

Will I then be able to download straight from the computer vs the Groundspeak site?

Thanks!

Will I then be able to download straight from the computer vs the Groundspeak site?

Yes, the three programs I mentioned will download the waypoints to your Etrex. You can only load one at a time from the Groundspeak site. Not sure of EasyGPS and Mapsource can read the .zip files, you may need to unzip them load both the .gpx files into those programs. GSAK will handle the .zip files directly.

EasyGPS and GSAK will read directly from the .zip files. I have an Oregon 300 so my methods may be off a bit but I think the usage of the two software's mentioned are fairly straight forward.

Using GSAK you can open multiple PQs directly from .zip format and they will all load into a single database. Then you can send to your gps and it will store as one .gpx file.

When using EasyGPS you can still open multiple .zip files but each opens individually. You can then write to your GPS and each PQ will have its own .gpx file. Same results but different. :)

EasyGPS and GSAK will read directly from the .zip files. I have an Oregon 300 so my methods may be off a bit but I think the usage of the two software's mentioned are fairly straight forward.

Using GSAK you can open multiple PQs directly from .zip format and they will all load into a single database. Then you can send to your gps and it will store as one .gpx file.

When using EasyGPS you can still open multiple .zip files but each opens individually. You can then write to your GPS and each PQ will have its own .gpx file. Same results but different. :)

Thanks for the info. I found out my GPS won't load the gpx files nor any of the previews. I went back to the GC site and tested to make sure my unit was running o.k. It was and I was able to load a cache from the site.

I am waiting on another Pocket Query in the other format to see if this will work. Is this common for this model of GPS (Garmin E Trex Legend H)?

I think perhaps you may have misunderstood what others are telling you. The file you receive in your email is not in a format that the GPSr can do anything with. The programs mentioned above (GSAK, EasyGPS) will take the file you receive in your email and turn it into something you can then, in turn, load into your GPS (and PDA).

GSAK is the more robust program but, at least in my opinion, it is a bit more difficult to learn to use. Aha! I now see that there is a 'getting started' link on the GSAK home page. :anicute:

As far as i understand, (maybe completely wrong but sure someone will correc me), gpx files can contain a lo more information. I think Easygps sends information to your gps as a loc file which contains less information so if you go down the gpx into easygps into gpsr there may be less information. Personally i would recommend using GSAK instead of easygps. Takes a bit more learnig but worth it.

EasyGPS will sent GPX files.

Be careful. If your GPS has space for 1000 waypoints, it may not get all the waypoints from a 1000 cache PQ.

A GPX file can have more than 1000 waypoints for 1000 caches.

eg A traditional cache can have additional waypoints like parking and trailhead. Those two waypoints with the actual co-ords fro the cache =3 waypoints.

As for a multi cache with several waypoints..!

Better to set your PQ to a lower number of caches, if you plan to put them straight into your GPS without prior sorting with a program like GSAK.