Poll regarding etrex rubber band

I have an etrex and have read through other forum posts that eventually the adhesive tape that holds the rubber band on gets gummy and needs to be replaced. I'd like to get a sense of how long and under what condition this occurs. For those of you with an Etrex series GPSr, please post

1. how long you've had your unit

2. how long it was in service before the rubber band needed to be resecured

3. how much of the ownership time did you store it in a vehicle

For example, for me the answer is

1 year

not yet

5%

I got my etrex vista over 7 years ago. It was used on an ATV under lots of vibration, wetness, dust, etc. It has held up well. The rubber also held up well and only began to separate around the cable connect. I never stored it in a car or anyplace there would be temperature extremes. I recently bought a Oregon 450. I plan to reglue the rubber band on the etrex and use it as a spare or sell it here for a few bucks. I definitely got my money's worth out of the unit.

I have had two eTrex units in the past 5 years. The rubber siding came off of both of them in perhaps a year. I always have reglued them back on. They have spent little time in the car but in Florida it only takes once. Still, it is a persistent problem with these units.

1. I got my eTrex Vista back in 2002 (or maybe a little earlier)

2. Never had any problems with the rubber around it

3. The unit lived in my glovebox for several years and has spent a great deal of time on the dashboard.

I bought a new eTrex Vista HCX back in January and it hasn't had any problems.

I have an etrex and have read through other forum posts that eventually the adhesive tape that holds the rubber band on gets gummy and needs to be replaced. I'd like to get a sense of how long and under what condition this occurs. For those of you with an Etrex series GPSr, please post

1. 11 months (HCx)

2. about 5 months

3. Zero storage in car. Live in cool climate, no sunscreen, failed all the way around but mostly where it was held, adhesive turned tan color and oozed out.

Ideas: adhesive may be incompatible with some body chemistries; some batches of rubber may be incompatible with the adhesive . . .

For example, for me the answer is

1 year

not yet

5%

1) I bought mine about 3 years ago.

2) about a year and a half to 2 years.

3) Only when it was travelling to caches with me.

Notes:

a) Heat does seem to be problem that exacerbates this defect.

:) A much older eTrex has never suffered from this problem, but lacks a USB connection and map so isn't in use.

c) On reporting the problem to Garmin UK, I was told this was not a known defect, and the eTrex was replaced free of charge (and now passed on to my daughter as I bought an Oregon).

Chris

1. Four years

2. about two year

3. I never leave it in my car.

Which is the best adhesive to repair it with?

Opinions vary, but I have yet to hear from anyone who used RTV (silicone seal) that had any problems with it again. The stuff remains pliable, is waterproof, and could care less about the kind of heat you'll ever see in your car (or anywhere else you'd want your GPS to be!)

Perhaps a couple of other questions should have been asked as well,to perhaps find the possible cause ,like have you ever gotten the unit totaly wet,or have you exposed it to quite hot or cold temperatures.Obviously its inferior glue that Garmin uses.

Perhaps a couple of other questions should have been asked as well,to perhaps find the possible cause ,like have you ever gotten the unit totaly wet,or have you exposed it to quite hot or cold temperatures.Obviously its inferior glue that Garmin uses.

I started having trouble with mine one summer day as I was out geocaching with some friends. It was probably in the upper 80s out and I was holding my Etrex in my hand most of the time. I really believe it was the heat that caused the adhesive to deteriorate.

My Basic Yellow Etrex:

3 Years.

Approx 8 Months

Never.

My Etrex Legend

18 months

It's just coming loose now.

Never.

It's clearly a design flaw and Garmin should be repairing them for free.

The band on my first eTrex Legend lasted a year. I had it replaced and from that point on it was never left in my vehicle and 8 years later it is still intact.

The band on my Legend didn't last 6 months. Had it replaced and it lasted another year or so. Had it replaced again (out of warranty but Garmin did it for free) and it has lasted 6 years. Again over those 6 years I have not left it in my vehicle.

From my experience, I think it's the heat of a vehicle on a hot summer day that degrades the adhesive.

....From my experience, I think it's the heat of a vehicle on a hot summer day that degrades the adhesive.

Based on my experience it must be a combination on both heat and humidity. I frequently leave my gadgets in the sun on the dash but the sleeve has never come loose. However - I tend to cache in areas that have very low humnidity - especially on the hottest of days.

Based on my experience it must be a combination on both heat and humidity. I frequently leave my gadgets in the sun on the dash but the sleeve has never come loose. However - I tend to cache in areas that have very low humnidity - especially on the hottest of days.

It doesn't get too much less humid most places than it typically runs here in the Denver area (except THIS year!) -- we're classified high desert plateau = don't water it and it dies. Mine (per above) didn't last all that long.

Sadly I have experienced the rubber band issue four times! But Garmin has resolved it promptly, replacing the offending item 3 times. After the last episode, they indicated that they no longer replace entire units and instead sent me a do-it-yourself band replacement.

Although the exact cause is unclear, in at least one instance the separation began shortly after several days of use of the unit in relatively high temps (> 95 Fahrenheit). In two instances, I had used the unit for several weeks in moderate temps (80-90 Fahrenheit), and then immediately in much colder temps (< 30 Fahrenheit), after which the band began to separate (i.e., once back in colder climate).

Because I do not store the GPSr in my vehicle, but cannot be 100% sure it has never spent an errant few hours (or night) in the car I have answered your questions 3 as "never".

For those of you with an Etrex series GPSr, please post

original eTrex VistaC

1. 10 months

2. 10 months (before being replaced by Garmin)

3. "never"

1st replacement unit

1. 7 months

2. 7 months (before being replaced by Garmin)

3. "never"

2nd replacement unit

1. 10 months

3. "never"

3rd replacement unit (which I currently still have)

1. 29 months

2. 16 months (before receiving do-it-yourself band repair ki)

3. "never"

Why do I continue to use an eTrex? For my purposes (mostly use it in the field or water, and sometimes for on-road navigation), the size and weight is nice (pocketable), and the screen brightness is much better than in the similarly-sized new touch-screen models (although I have been thinking of "upgrading" to an Oregon lately).

Sadly I have experienced the rubber band issue four times! But Garmin has resolved it promptly, replacing the offending item 3 times. After the last episode, they indicated that they no longer replace entire units and instead sent me a do-it-yourself band replacement.

Although the exact cause is unclear, in at least one instance the separation began shortly after several days of use of the unit in relatively high temps (> 95 Fahrenheit). In two instances, I had used the unit for several weeks in moderate temps (80-90 Fahrenheit), and then immediately in much colder temps (< 30 Fahrenheit), after which the band began to separate (i.e., once back in colder climate).

Because I do not store the GPSr in my vehicle, but cannot be 100% sure it has never spent an errant few hours (or night) in the car I have answered your questions 3 as "never".

For those of you with an Etrex series GPSr, please post

original eTrex VistaC

1. 10 months

3. "never"

1st replacement unit

1. 7 months

2. 7 months (before being replaced by Garmin)

3. "never"

2nd replacement unit

1. 10 months

3. "never"

3rd replacement unit (which I currently still have)

1. 29 months

2. 16 months (before receiving do-it-yourself band repair ki)

3. "never"

Why do I continue to use an eTrex? For my purposes (mostly use it in the field or water, and sometimes for on-road navigation), the size and weight is nice (pocketable), and the screen brightness is much better than in the similarly-sized new touch-screen models (although I have been thinking of "upgrading" to an Oregon lately).

geez louise, you should try a different method if it keeps failing on you...

This is why I don't send my GPS to garmin if the band comes unglued. I know that they will probably just use the same glueing method that they used when they built the thing. You know it will just come apart again...

The band on my original etrex legend came off around the 8 month mark. After that I took it off, removed the sticky glue that was on still on the unit and band, and reglued it with high quality superglue (gorilla glue i think). 4 years later and its as solid as a rock. Not one sign of it coming off.

:rolleyes:

This is why I don't send my GPS to garmin if the band comes unglued. I know that they will probably just use the same glueing method that they used when they built the thing. You know it will just come apart again...

My rationale for sending the units back to Garmin rather then repairing them myself was two-fold:

a) Because I also use it while kayaking, I figured if the unit suffered water damage due to my actions (i.e., inadequate repair job), Garmin would be less likely to replace the unit (due to water damage) then if they had repaired it.

B) I kept on hoping that they would have fixed the problem...

Older Blue Legend

9 Years

Not Yet

30%

ETrex Camo

7 Years

Not Yet

20%

eTrex Venture Cx

6 Years

Not Yet

50%

eTrex Legend HCx #1

4 Years

Not Yet

80%

eTrex Legend HCx #2

4 Years

Not Yet

10%

Bottom line is - None of my units have ever done that.

That is really strange! I wonder why?

eTrex (gen 1: non WAAS)

1. 6 years

2. never (replaced by Garmin due to field damage under warranty)

3. 10%

eTrex (gen 2: WAAS) Garmin refurb.

1. 4 years

2. never

3. 100%

Vista HCx

1. 1.5 years

2. 1.5 years (replaced by REI under warranty)

3. 0%

Band came loose in button areas exposed by Garmin eTrex neoprene case

Vista HCx (replacement)

1. 8 months

2. never

3. 10%

Switched to Foarm cases...

Vista HCx

1. 3 months

2. never

3. 0%

All 5 units exposed to extended extreme desert conditions, temperature never seeming to be a factor.

Edited by coggins

1. Three years.

2. The original band became loose after about one year. The replacement band I installed, loosened up after another year. I am currently on my third band which I had Garmin install several months ago after the adhesive started to jam the power button. We'll see how long it lasts. The problem was worse during warming temperatures.

3. Never

Don

I have 2 Etrex Units.

1 x Etrex H

1. how long you've had your unit ? - since 2007 approx

2. how long it was in service before the rubber band needed to be resecured ? - It is still secure

3. how much of the ownership time did you store it in a vehicle ? - Never stored in vehicle (except when traveling).

1 x Etrex Summit

1. how long you've had your unit ? - Since 2004 approx

2. how long it was in service before the rubber band needed to be resecured ? -It is just starting to break down at the top of the unit and I am looking into possible solutions. I have e-mailed Garmin to see if I can get any of the tape they use from them as I live near one of their offices. It may not be a permenant solution but I can live with a 5y+ service life.

3. how much of the ownership time did you store it in a vehicle? Never stored in vehicle (as above).

I suspect in my case the glue has broken down with age rather than from heat (living in the UK) but that heat accelerates the aging process, although it does spend most of its 'working life' in the most hazardous enviroment known to man - my back pocket :ph34r:

Edited by chris&hector