PQ 40 Limit

dougsmiley

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what's the deal with the 40 limit on PQs?

Since we got the 1000, can this be upped to 100 or something? It doesn't seem like the data stored for the PQ settings would take up more than a kilobyte.

We can't run more than 35 a week anyway so why the odd arbitrary limit on how many in our "arsenal"? It doesn't seem there's a limit at all on routes and I'd be fairly certain they take up more space than regular PQs do.

What i would find a relatively small 200 mile radius from my home is 38 or 39 queries, meaning I can't leave them all on the page, rather will have to delete and re create to run later. This is something i'd only completely run once every couple months (running the "newest" query more often, obviously).

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what's the deal with the 40 limit on PQs?

Since we got the 1000, can this be upped to 100 or something? It doesn't seem like the data stored for the PQ settings would take up more than a kilobyte.

We can't run more than 35 a week anyway so why the odd arbitrary limit on how many in our "arsenal"? It doesn't seem there's a limit at all on routes and I'd be fairly certain they take up more space than regular PQs do.

What i would find a relatively small 200 mile radius from my home is 38 or 39 queries, meaning I can't leave them all on the page, rather will have to delete and re create to run later. This is something i'd only completely run once every couple months (running the "newest" query more often, obviously).

I too would like to see the 40 limit raised, but now that the 500 limit was changed to 1000, I've been able to reduce the number of PQs that I run, which frees up some of my 40 queries for other stuff.

Of course, now I can't automate the downloads of the info like I used to be able to do, so I'm still looking for a solution to that...

It just seems like a silly limit when the routes have no limit and would clearly use more space. It's not like the system is going to let me plan PQs weeks in advance, it'll only let me check a maximum of 35.

Lots of people, especially those who travel, would prefer the convenience of being able to make a hundred preset queries to run whenever they wanted to.

Thank you for the inch. Can I have a mile?

Exactly what I was thinking :D:D

Eh.. he has a point. More PQs wouldn't use significantly more server resources.

I actually use MORE PQ slots now since i need '500' (Scheduled. come via email) and '1000' (for when i want to grab an instant download) versions of everything.

Since ALL pq's are saved forever, this obviously isn't a space or resources issue.

Don't believe me? Create a pq, bookmark the preview url, delete it, the preview will now work forever. A handy way to not have pq's that are only for filters or preview purposes count against you.

Enjoy what you have my friend. Back in the day we didn't even have 1 PQ to download! You printed it out ONE AT A TIME!!!

No harm in asking, that's how we get improvements. Some ideas are good, some are bad. Some get implemented, some discussed. Way back in the day we didn't have GPS to locate boxes of tupperware. Go further back and we didn't have tupperware. Go even further back and we didn't have maps.

I'm kinda getting tired of this attitude I'm seeing on Groundspeak's forums lately of "how dare you ask ________", or "it works for me, therefore it is great for everyone!!".

Ideas should be shared, not boxed up and hidden from sight.

I'm interested in what people think about the paging on TB's that we recently introduced.. does it work well? I know there are a few things missing still.

I really like the new paging on the TBs! The page numbers are much much easier to view and use on my phone. Thanks so much!! :)

I'm interested in what people think about the paging on TB's that we recently introduced.. does it work well? I know there are a few things missing still.

Speaking of the TB changes.... I really miss the view all logs option. When a TB has a goal of visiting all states it's much easier to see what states it's been too if you can see all logs on one page.

Enjoy what you have my friend. Back in the day we didn't even have 1 PQ to download! You printed it out ONE AT A TIME!!!

No harm in asking, that's how we get improvements. Some ideas are good, some are bad. Some get implemented, some discussed. Way back in the day we didn't have GPS to locate boxes of tupperware. Go further back and we didn't have tupperware. Go even further back and we didn't have maps.

I'm kinda getting tired of this attitude I'm seeing on Groundspeak's forums lately of "how dare you ask ________", or "it works for me, therefore it is great for everyone!!".

Ideas should be shared, not boxed up and hidden from sight.

Easy to fix. Don't come to the GS forums.

OK, which one of these smilies says "Just funn'n with ya."?

I agree with all of that exept you can only run 35 per week, they don't have that limit.

It is a little frustrating if i'm just looking for one person's log ("when did my friend xxx find this tb?", i have to click through a bunch of pages.

I like the AJAX/dhtml suggestion. What if rather than reloading the whole page, clicking each 'page' just added more results to the current page? After a few clicks you could have all the results on one page.

Many forum sites are starting to operate like this, and it is quite convenient.

It is a little frustrating if i'm just looking for one person's log ("when did my friend xxx find this tb?", i have to click through a bunch of pages.

I like the AJAX/dhtml suggestion. What if rather than reloading the whole page, clicking each 'page' just added more results to the current page? After a few clicks you could have all the results on one page.

My only concern with AJAX development is thinking how Pocket Internet Explorer or Opera Mobile would render this - for viewing on my a mobile device

My only concern with AJAX development is thinking how Pocket Internet Explorer or Opera Mobile would render this - for viewing on my a mobile device

if properly coded, it would work on both. on an ajax capable browser, the logs would load via ajax, on other browser the whole page would reload to the new page like now. i can't say that it would be trivial to implement, but it's doable, and there's good js libraries out there.

Or even finding if you've logged the TB - in particular, the car TB's "have I discovered this one yet?"

You can always just view the Map or the Google Earth KML and see the states that way.

Since you mentioned it. The map for the travel bugs is small and squatty. I had sent an email asking for a selectable size, or even a pop out map. I was told to put it in the forums and let people comment on it. So what does everyone think. Would you like to be able to select a larger map size?

I was also wondering while reading this thread how about when posting on a TB log that you have posted on before a screen could pop up and say "You have posted to this log before. Are you sure?" Mainly for discoveries.

Another option that cache owners and dippers alike would like is the option to "dip" in one transaction. The reason I say that both would like it is that it would/could eliminate/reduce emails sent that then have to be deleted. It could potentially reduce server time (Granted a very small amount.) as the retrieving of the TB/Coin would then be automated. it would also shorted logs on the TB/Coins/Member profiles as the log could be entered as a "Dip" and not a place/retrieve. This could potentially save a tremendous amount of space. :)

Edited by N7MFT