Snake Pics

This is a great pic of a diamond back! it looks like he is trying to fly :)

He was just about 3 feet long and sunning himself on the trail. When I moved in closer for the picture he started heading towards the bushes. Ironically, the cache I was after mentioned the lack of wildlife considering the posted warnings. :)

Well ya; he probably ate everything else :)

some nice pics there, ive never met a snake while out caching but i use to have a 10ft Burmese Pythons that lived in my bedroom i called it: Claris"S"sa

ive still got one of her old sheddings that measures 8ft, ill dig out a few pics if i can

I had a friend who liked snakes. He had 3- a blood python (no pics, sorry), a Burmese python (@10-12'):

05c3a51c-83e1-435b-83f0-afa938eb277c.jpg

and a reticulated named Susie (@15' or more):

e60af6c8-6f6b-4bfb-a667-2d9db8b063f2.jpg

Fun times...especially when Susie got loose once... :)

I don't have a problem with snakes - theoretically, but after looking at all these picture and reading all the stories I am even more thankful I live in a snake-free country. No snakes in New Zealand and as I live in the southern part of the country there is nothing much else that bites either. Many is the time I have stuck my hand in a hole in the ground or fossicked around in the long grass and thanked whoever for the total lack of toxic biting creepy crawlies! Most dangerous thing I've encountered while caching (not that I've been at it long) was some feral chickens! :)

I don't know how to post my buddy PMOGUY 's cache Bedell Canyon Overlook (GC28M76). He told me today that he saw another bigger rattlesnake than the one that he took 2 pictures of while he was on the way in to hide his cache. If I go for this cache, it will be in the winter even if I have to use snowshoes.

Take a minute to look at the pictures for this page if you want to see great rattlesnake pictures and wall grafitti from the 1880's.

:) Ugh! :) I have a terrible fear of snakes, which makes me dangerous if you're a snake of any variety. If I see a snake and know it isn't poisonous then I'll leave it alone. Otherwise said snake becomes snake + lead.

Looking at that cache with the copperhead next to it made me wonder though if maybe there isn't some kind of snake repellent you could use around the cache itself. Snakes, so my parents said, hate moth-balls. The problem with those is you could sniff your way to the cache LOL.

Thinking of a small child sticking his or her hand near that thing scares the daylights out of me. It's bad enough when a venomous snake bites an adult, but a child....I don't even want to think about it. Thanks for the posts...this will serve me as a great reminder to make sure I carry a long stick with me, especially when I take the kids out.

:blink: Ugh! :lol: I have a terrible fear of snakes, which makes me dangerous if you're a snake of any variety. If I see a snake and know it isn't poisonous then I'll leave it alone. Otherwise said snake becomes snake + lead.

Looking at that cache with the copperhead next to it made me wonder though if maybe there isn't some kind of snake repellent you could use around the cache itself. Snakes, so my parents said, hate moth-balls. The problem with those is you could sniff your way to the cache LOL.

Thinking of a small child sticking his or her hand near that thing scares the daylights out of me. It's bad enough when a venomous snake bites an adult, but a child....I don't even want to think about it. Thanks for the posts...this will serve me as a great reminder to make sure I carry a long stick with me, especially when I take the kids out.

there should be something like that on the market

Thats it! I am done geocaching!

Why?

A week ago I was going down to a river to place a cache and saw a nice healthy garter snake. He was pretty thick in the middle so he's been eating well. He was only about 2 feet long or so.

He was sunning himself and didn't see me till it was too late and couldn't get away. I saw the look of fear in his eyes as he tried to remain still, knowing his path to safety was too far away.

I just squatted down, said hi to the little guy, contemplated picking him up but knowing he would poo on me, and reached out to pet him on the back.

He didn't try too hard to get away and let me pet him a couple times. Then I gave a gentle flick on his tail to encourage him to go home, which he obliged.

And then I was on my way as well.

One of these days I will remember to take pictures of the snakes I see.

Why?

I was really sarcastic.... however, I really dislike snakes and posting picture just make me all the more uneasy. Even as a newbie cacher, I got my share of running into snakes. So far, three to four. I got a habit of when I am searching around rocky area that I dont just stick my hand in every opening. :blink:

I hate this thread. I hate snakes with a passion. I started geocaches over a month ago. On my second day out. I ran into a snake and I sprinted back to my car which was a half mile away. From then on, i bring my knife and a walking stick to turn over rocks. Good thing here in Washington, we only have a garder snake on the western side.

Why?

A week ago I was going down to a river to place a cache and saw a nice healthy garter snake. He was pretty thick in the middle so he's been eating well. He was only about 2 feet long or so.

He was sunning himself and didn't see me till it was too late and couldn't get away. I saw the look of fear in his eyes as he tried to remain still, knowing his path to safety was too far away.

I just squatted down, said hi to the little guy, contemplated picking him up but knowing he would poo on me, and reached out to pet him on the back.

He didn't try too hard to get away and let me pet him a couple times. Then I gave a gentle flick on his tail to encourage him to go home, which he obliged.

And then I was on my way as well.

One of these days I will remember to take pictures of the snakes I see.

Probably best to leave full snakes be. If they are alarmed and unable to move quickly they may disgorge their meal to make themselves more agile. Then to sate their hunger they'll have to eat another poor varmint.

I touch them with my gaze, perhaps a photo or two and then I'm on my way.

I've seen so many snakes this year I can't keep count. Lots of very large gopher snakes.

Here's the one that made me yell "poop" rather loudly last October. I didn't see him at dusk on the trail and very nearly stepped on him. The flash makes him stand out much better than he actually did. I gave up caching that day because it was getting dark and because the snake was blocking the path.

10-02-09%20013.jpg

Saw this fat mama back last July in Georgia at Anna Ruby Falls. Just one of three snakes we saw up at the falls. We had a few small kids with us so we decided that poking around under rocks and logs for caches was not going to be fun for the snakes or us.

07-27-09%20026.jpg

Very cooperative green snake that let me get right up next to it that we found while visiting the earthcache Hematite Lake GC1K8W9.

441fdd41-0d68-4b07-be8a-3221e104f82e.jpg

Here's another gopher snake. I saw this one on the weekend. He was on the paved trail and my wife freaked out at the sight of him.

49107ed1-4ec5-429e-baa8-1a5ea130f74c.jpg

And here's a little red-sided garter snake I found while searching a few weeks ago. I lifted a rock and there he was. Since the clue was something like "It's not real" I thought I'd found the cache. I was reaching down when he took off...

050975d3-7595-403d-b915-d1b7bf988dc1.jpg

The encounter with a couple of snakes were when i was caching with my boyfriend stinger504 :D my boyfriend had a mini panic attack :D

My first snake encounter was a 4 weeks ago or so. I was trying to find the best way to the cache and I noticed something moving on the path, small garter snake I think, but it ran off so I wasn't too freaked out.

The second encounter I was caching with my girlfriend, and I found a spot where the cache might be and started towards it around a large pile of branches. Two snakes, right by ME, darted into the branches. GF didn't believe me and I ran as fast as possible to the cache with her. As we got ready to leave the snakes started poking their heads out of the wood, so at least she saw proof that my panic attack was justified :anicute: . Needless to say we went around the way without snakes.

OMG, I have an acute fear of snakes, so WHY I opened this, I don't know :huh: I am paralyzed by garter snakes, so I don't do anything but P&G's from May-Oct. Seriously. So thinking we were safe, one of my friends and I took the kids out to an old farm in the middle of nowhere in the woods. I turned to look at a log thinking the cache might be in there and a tounge darts out. Um yeah, I caught it was black and yellow and don't know if that was it or not or what it was, I screamed and ran, my friend was freaked that something was wrong with me, yeah, just a snake, no worries :D

Reading this thread forced me to look up if Indiana has poisonous snakes...fortunately for me, I can continue caching as it appears they are south or so rare experienced snake hunters can't find them. My stomach is turning at the thought of finding a big old snake....now the little Greensnake...he's pretty cute and I could handle that.

Now that you mention it, yes!

A cache I planted in honor of a snake.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fa-fed43cd080f0

An urban cache I found a snake!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...2c-75fd44a245d4

My wife found a rattlesnake back in August of 2006

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Frankly I am surprised I haven't found more.