How About A UK GC Podcast?

Sorry Paul, had a problem with the server the website's hosted on crashed about 5 minutes after I posted the link. As you've found it's up again now. Hope you like!

If server/bandwidth issues become a problem, may I suggest some options?

1) Bittorent. Perhaps use the OpenBitTorrent tracker. This probably won't be the most effective means of distribution to the masses primarily because lots of people don't/won't use the technology for various reasons. However, it eases server load considerably once the first couple of seeds are established.

2) Mirroring. I have space, and will gladly mirror/archive the mp3 files if you'd like.

This all assumes that:

a) Your licence allows re-distributions in these ways.

B) You don't keep or care about tracking the number of unique downloads.

Note that I have no idea of the iTunes podcast model - do you upload the podcast to their servers? If so, this could become a moot point as I guess most people will use the iTunes platform to access the material. Personally, I won't, but at least I'll be in the minority pinging your servers every 10 minutes!

Edited by tiiiim

Many thanks for the offer!

the problem is an ongoing one that the host is having with the server, rather than anything I did!

I am intending, towards the end of June, to sign up with Libsyn who provide podcast hosting for $5 a month. This means that I will not need to worry about bandwidth at all. Unless the podcast gets REALLY popular!

To answer the question, no, the podcast is not uploaded to iTunes. It is just another listing directory with the extra ability for users to sync directly to their devices.

Many thanks for the offer!

the problem is an ongoing one that the host is having with the server, rather than anything I did!

I am intending, towards the end of June, to sign up with Libsyn who provide podcast hosting for $5 a month. This means that I will not need to worry about bandwidth at all. Unless the podcast gets REALLY popular!

To answer the question, no, the podcast is not uploaded to iTunes. It is just another listing directory with the extra ability for users to sync directly to their devices.

Just listened to the first podcast, excellent, I really enjoyed it. Thanks. :)

Ah, I see - been there too: very frustrating!

Libsyn looks good, and at $5/month it's not too much. Only 50MB storage though. With the first podcast being ~18MB, that's only 2 podcasts - will you be deleting the old podcasts to accommodate? Much like the BBC does with its podcasts?

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info! Every day's a school day!

I listened to the podcast yesterday - great work, and very informative. Also love the cheesy segue music!!

Offer still stands - if you need extra room or an offsite backup, just let me know! Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Hahah! They're only chef's trousers! You can pick 'em up on the bay for about a tenner. :)

tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim (sorry, lost count) - 50 per month, I had assumed meant that you get 50mb per month for your uploads. As the current cast is (as you say) about 18 mb, 50mb should be fine.

I encoded show 1 at 128 bps (kbps? Can't remember) so can always drop that a little, hopefully without compromising quality.

tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim (sorry, lost count) - 50 per month, I had assumed meant that you get 50mb per month for your uploads. As the current cast is (as you say) about 18 mb, 50mb should be fine.

Aaaaaaaaah, 50MB per month!! Now I gedit! Wow, that's pretty cool - like a loyalty perk! So yeah, that'd be more than enough: perhaps to get the money's worth you need to get out and create an 'enhanced' podcast in MP4!

I encoded show 1 at 128 bps (kbps? Can't remember) so can always drop that a little, hopefully without compromising quality.

I can confirm that the download I have is 128kbps (kilo-bits-per-second). If I were you, I wouldn't go any lower than this: whilst for voice 96kbps would be fine, definite artefacts would start to appear in the musical segues, and if you're to start having Skype voicemails also... That's just me though - I have some freaky hearing!!

Hahah! They're only chef's trousers! You can pick 'em up on the bay for about a tenner. :D

*cough*

magic_pants2.jpg

:)

I must admit that I wasn't really interested in the Podcast, but I heard Cornell Finch might be discussing the controversy re placing caches using iPhone co-ords which I am inerested in, so I had a listen to episode 2, then listened to episode 1, then subscribed to the feed.

I'm now hooked, good job that man, thanks.

I enjoyed the podcast, I think the 30 minute format is about right and the host came across well, which is difficult to do! Would be nice as the series progresses to have a 'guest of the month' rather than just the presenter, but I've no doubt that's coming!

From the technical side of things, the volume was too low. As a guide I usually listen in my car at about 9-10. Whereas with the podcast I had to turn it up to 20.

From an editorial side of things I found the iPhone piece interesting, but disappointing that no mention at all was made of the iPhone 4. As you may have guessed I have one of these phones and the GPS receiver is spot on. The geocaching app reports 5m accuracy most of the time and all the tests I've done including hiding a couple of caches tally exactly when I put the coordinates into mapping websites.

I appreciate the host may not have an iPhone 4 with which to verify this, but it was a bit disappointing that there was no mention at all that there is a new iPhone version out or a request for listeners to send in their thoughts on it. Just "iPhone bad!!!!".

Despite that minor gripe I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to next month.

PS. I know that sometimes things happen which will make the podcast late, but it was said that next months will be early, is there not a feature when publishing podcasts to set it to publish at a certain date / time in the future?

Excellent second, now for the difficult third!

Re volume. Voice is fine. Music is rather loud. ;)

(GSAK. Gee-Sack, rather than G S A K :) )

Thankyou!

Volume - see next post!

G S A K - I am not American and hate pronouncing initials as words!

Heard one the other day from an American friend. She was talking about someone who had gone into hospital for a routine op and had come out with "merser". ??????

Oh, you mean MRSA??

Took me ages to figure that one out!

I enjoyed the podcast, I think the 30 minute format is about right and the host came across well, which is difficult to do! Would be nice as the series progresses to have a 'guest of the month' rather than just the presenter, but I've no doubt that's coming!

Thankyou! I am trying my best to keep it to around 30 minutes, I had a look the other night and I cut about 20 minutes from the recordings. Must have all been waffle though...

I am intending to have a "guest" of the month, I am also trying to get some questions to Deceangi for "Ask The Reviewer". If anyone wants to take part then they can do so from the page at http://www.ukgcpodcast.com/ask-the-reviewer/ - Dave has said that he will record the answers in audio format and send them to me to include in the podcast.

I have had three (I think) questions so far so would like a few more to make this a regular feature.

From the technical side of things, the volume was too low. As a guide I usually listen in my car at about 9-10. Whereas with the podcast I had to turn it up to 20.

I don't know what went "wrong" with the sound level. I did nothing different to what I did for show 1 and yet the volume, I agree, is low. Either that or as B&R said, music's too loud! I can't do anything about this month's, except apologise, and try harder for the August show.

From an editorial side of things I found the iPhone piece interesting, but disappointing that no mention at all was made of the iPhone 4. As you may have guessed I have one of these phones and the GPS receiver is spot on. The geocaching app reports 5m accuracy most of the time and all the tests I've done including hiding a couple of caches tally exactly when I put the coordinates into mapping websites.

I appreciate the host may not have an iPhone 4 with which to verify this, but it was a bit disappointing that there was no mention at all that there is a new iPhone version out or a request for listeners to send in their thoughts on it. Just "iPhone bad!!!!".

I have had many emails and discussion with people since releasing the podcast (and creating the "idea" on the feedback forum) about the iPhone 4 being the best yet. Unfortunately, when I recorded that particular segment of the podcast the iPhone 4 had only been available for 16 hours in the UK and I could find no reports on the GPS accuracy specifically for Geocaching. Of course, I then completely forgot to mention the 4 when recording the segment!

I am going to do another segment on the iPhone for hiding in August's show so feel free to make your comments in email, on here, via skype (link on the website) or record a short piece of audio and send it to me!

Despite that minor gripe I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to next month.

PS. I know that sometimes things happen which will make the podcast late, but it was said that next months will be early, is there not a feature when publishing podcasts to set it to publish at a certain date / time in the future?

There is a feature that will allow me to schedule the actual post for the podcast, however, I haven't quite got to grips with the host for the mp3 file itself yet and am unsure whether I can schedule release for that. I suspect I can, but need to investigate. In the meantime I would prefer to do things "live" as such so that I know it all works before I disappear away from the PC for a week and miss yet another schedule.

Many thanks to all for your support and don't forget to tell your caching friends about the podcast!

Edited by Cornell Finch

:laughing: I am not very erm err shall we say poota savy :laughing: I don't have an iPod or an MP3 player :D and I could not work out a way of listening to the Podcast on my computer :huh:

So I did what all 40 something year old numpties do and I yelled up stairs for my 15 year old son (they know it all don't they!! smat arses) ;) I sort of explained what I wanted to listen to and 5 minutes later he came downstairs with his laptop with iTunes on it and both Podcasts loaded ready for me to listen to...

I must say I have only listened to the first one for now and I found it very interesting, it was great to hear you talk about places I have heard of and cachers I have heard of or have actually met, I will listen to the second one later this evening but I can say this is something I would listen to regularly (if I can get the boy to download it and lend me his laptop :D )

I might even give you a shout about the Durham Monthly get together and our upcoming event in September :laughing:

Very well done and keep up the good work

Mandy

Hey Mandy, glad you liked the first show! You'll find (as has been noted already) that the second show is a little quiet.

Just for info, if you can't get the laptop (and assuming that you have speakers on your PC) then if you go to the page show 2 then you can simply press the play button (right facing triangle) just below the title of the page and the podcast should play right there in your browser!

http://www.ukgcpodcast.com/2010/07/06/show-2-mega/

Good luck, let us know what you think!

Collin

Edited by Cornell Finch

I've been patiently waiting all week but now I'm suspecting it's more than a bandwidth issue. His Twitter account has disappeared too and surely that's not a bandwidth problem? Secondly I would think he would have posted on the forums - if he wanted to.

I wonder if someone else was being nasty as touched upon in the past and he's got fed up of the hassle?

I do hope not, I enjoyed a local geo-podcast.

[edit: apologies - the Twitter account IS still there but for some reason my client does not list it. Even so, surely he would write a message on it if he wanted to?]

Edited by Aggrajag