Wherigo Has Come to Android!

JohnE5

So, is there a way to recover the unlock code from a completed cartridge? I did not know the ows/gws issue with uploading the unlock code to the Wherigo website when I started doing wherigos and didn't bother to write down the unlock code on a piece of paper. (who carries around paper when they have a smartphone these days?) I use the HTC Droid Incredible and the whereugo app works well.

You can try uploading the .gwl file to Wherigo.com. Just don't try it from your phone. USB connect to a computer and copy the files from sd/wheryougo/game.gwl. Then upload it to Wherigo.com. But from what I hear on this forum the app my be breaking that file anyway.

The developer can program the game to show you the unlock code and save it as an item in your inventory after you complete the game.

Yea, I've tried that. Even renaming the extension doesn't work. The unlock code is not saved into the inventory, either. I'm not sure there is a way to retrieve the unlock code at this point. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what the unlock code is supposed to be for anyway. It's not like without the code a person can't log a find/completion on it.

Yea, I've tried that. Even renaming the extension doesn't work. The unlock code is not saved into the inventory, either. I'm not sure there is a way to retrieve the unlock code at this point. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what the unlock code is supposed to be for anyway. It's not like without the code a person can't log a find/completion on it.

The completion code allows one to "unlock" a cartridge on the web site. I think the original idea was to make an unlock in Wherigo equivalent to a find in geocaching (the numbers would not mix or affect the other).

If you want your unlock code, feel free to email me your GWC file and I'll retrieve it for you.

Hi,

I am very happy to play Wherigo with WhereyouGo Application on my HTC Wildfire.

It's a very good application.

But, i've got a problem.

I can't resume game. I've got the message "Problem with Cartrigde!"

For example, I can't resume game GC2JVJB and GC2KJWZ.

I saved the .gwl and .gwc files on my computer.

Have you got a idea ?

Thanks.

SuperPP.

Greetings!

While I've long wanted to get into Wherigo as I think it a perfect vehicle for multis and puzzles, I didn't have the proper hardware. Sissy now has a DroidX. I installed the tutorial cartridge, but when I attempt to walk away from the rocket ship it thinks the ship is in Seattle or some place in the North West. Also, the imperial count in feet on the compass is single digits but counts in ten foot increment. Metric is correct. The map shows me moving just fine.

I don't have any wherigos less than 80 miles away. Not confident out play anywhere cartridges will work.

Ideas?

Greetings!

While I've long wanted to get into Wherigo as I think it a perfect vehicle for multis and puzzles, I didn't have the proper hardware. Sissy now has a DroidX. I installed the tutorial cartridge, but when I attempt to walk away from the rocket ship it thinks the ship is in Seattle or some place in the North West. Also, the imperial count in feet on the compass is single digits but counts in ten foot increment. Metric is correct. The map shows me moving just fine.

I don't have any wherigos less than 80 miles away. Not confident out play anywhere cartridges will work.

Ideas?

Make sure you have the gps feature enabled on the phone, it makes a big difference. I had trouble at first with the spaceship also. After quitting and restarting the tutorial I was able to get it to work fine.

With the play anywhere cartridges and options, you just need to go to a park so you have some walking around room. You can complete it but the only differenve is you won't be able to find and sign the associated cache and log sheet to sign.

The GPS is on. I can see on the map my location and the map moves when I move. The issue, I think, is the cartridge is thinking the ship is at one place and where I started is another. I can start the cartridge, wear the suit, get to where I'm supposed to walk away from the ship. I navigate away and watch the distance get higher starting with zero and all the way past 50m. However, when I check the distance to the rocket ship it says it's several thousand km away. It's like it isn't putting the rocket ship at my starting location or something. Sissy had to go to work so I can't go back and confirm the above right now.

I tried restarting the cartridge several times and re-boot the phone.

When the cartridge starts the splash screen says the location is 360° 00.000 360° 00.000. I first thought that was simply saying it was a play anywhere cartridge. Is it supposed to say that?

okay, are you sure you're looking at a distance to the spaceship?

there's a badly placed zone in this cartridge, called "away" or something like that, which lies somewhere in USA, i don't remember where exactly. you have to ignore it and play as if it was not true.

if the actual spaceship is misplaced, please try walking back to where you started and see if that works.

also, yes, it's supposed to say 360/360 if it's a play-anywhere cartridge.

(technically, it's a bug that it shows nonsense instead of saying "play anywhere", but that's what it means)

I'm getting the same problem running the tutorial with Whereyougo on an HTC Wildfire It's trying to send me about 7500km away, roughly the distance to Seattle, and I've tried the suggestions above.

That would typically indicate that the "play-anywhere" relocation isn't working, or is encountering some kind of race condition. I don't know how the tutorial relocates the zones and other objects, but when Earwigo's runtime does it, it relies on a few things being set up, which take a couple of seconds after the player starts, at least on the Colorado.

Mrs sTeamTraen is getting an HTC Wildfire shortly, so I'll check it out then.

Hello,

Just played my first game and completed it, wrote down the unlock but i mistyped it and i can't unlock the cartridge on the website. So i went back to the app (it has told me before that i would be able to return and see the results and the unlock code) and it only ask me to start a new game or cancel. i didn't chose any "cancel" button the first time. So i just can't unlock it.

Moreover there's no .GWS in my folder. What could i do (excepting doing the game once more, which took me 3 days...)?

I know people have been waiting for a way to play Wherigo on android phones, now there is! It's called "WhereYouGo". You can get it straight from the marketplace.

I downloaded the PPC version of the tutorial and copied it into the folder directory. It starts and plays great! I only had one bug, when trying to contain the Energy Source the option was not there just Scan. I saved and closed, restarted and the option appeared.

The user interface is a good start, the icons and photos look great. I'm hoping more polished version soon. The buttons could use some work and their is no use of the droid's menu button.

Try it out! Help the developer find all the bugs, maybe we can get Wherigo going again!

How did you copy it and into what directory? I have recently bought an Android phone and trying to get into Wherigo.

RICSON917

I recently migrated my caching environment from an old Windows Mobile 5.2 device to Android 2.3 (HTC Inspire 4G). I'm encountering a serious blocking issue in the WhereYouGo app, and am seeking for a resolution.

I downloaded some of the closest cartridges to my device (they are all N 3x xx.xxx W 12x xx.xxx). They all open successfully from the WhereYouGo app. They, however, are all shown as located 9,000km+ away from my location (while they are actually only 10 to 100km away). I noticed that they were all shown as located in N 3x xx.xxx S 12x xx.xxx Yes, I said the longitude was shown as "S" (!) instead of "W". It looks like they are actually treated as N 3x xx.xxx E 12x xx.xxx instead of N 3x xx.xxx W 12x xx.xxx, although I'm not 100% sure.

Am I the only one who is encountering this problem in the Western Hemisphere?

I'm using the latest WhereYouGo app and PPC cartridges.

I recently migrated my caching environment from an old Windows Mobile 5.2 device to Android 2.3 (HTC Inspire 4G). I'm encountering a serious blocking issue in the WhereYouGo app, and am seeking for a resolution.

I downloaded some of the closest cartridges to my device (they are all N 3x xx.xxx W 12x xx.xxx). They all open successfully from the WhereYouGo app. They, however, are all shown as located 9,000km+ away from my location (while they are actually only 10 to 100km away). I noticed that they were all shown as located in N 3x xx.xxx S 12x xx.xxx Yes, I said the longitude was shown as "S" (!) instead of "W". It looks like they are actually treated as N 3x xx.xxx E 12x xx.xxx instead of N 3x xx.xxx W 12x xx.xxx, although I'm not 100% sure.

Make sure you turn on the GPS on your phone and insdide the WhereYouGo App.

Thank you. But yes. My GPS is turned on and the map also shows my current location correctly. The problem is actually about the coordinates of Wherigo caches I am opening, not about my position.

For example, if I open this cartridge:

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=1d26fb1c-48f7-433e-98b0-1eaf616b063c

The WhereYouGo app says:

Distance: 9380km

Latitude: N 37 59.208

Longitude: S 122 35.262

No, it's not my typo. It really says "S" instead of "W".

Thank you. But yes. My GPS is turned on and the map also shows my current location correctly. The problem is actually about the coordinates of Wherigo caches I am opening, not about my position.

For example, if I open this cartridge:

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=1d26fb1c-48f7-433e-98b0-1eaf616b063c

The WhereYouGo app says:

Distance: 9380km

Latitude: N 37 59.208

Longitude: S 122 35.262

No, it's not my typo. It really says "S" instead of "W".

I think ricson917 was absolutely right. I noticed that I was getting the same distance even if I disabled the GPS. I just restarted the device to see if that might help, and yes, everything started to work just fine!

I'm still seeing S instead of W, but I can live with it. It doesn't seem to have something to do with my original problem.

Thanks for the help! My problem is now resolved.

Just downloaded the Whereyougo app for android. Went to do a Wherigo that I created to test the app. Started the cartridge, but the location would not update. Discovered that the GPS was off in the app. So I turned it on. Now I get a message that says "Sorry, you cannot play this cartridge in simulation mode."

This is a Wherigo I had created about a year ago http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=0a74ffe7-c802-48fa-bc80-46aa8299ba87

I have played it through with the iPhone Wherigo app, and several others have played it through with Androids and Garmins, so I know it is not the cartridge at fault.

I have a Samsung Exhibit II 4G, os 2.3.5. The Exhibit II is actually a Galaxy W, relabeled for T-Mobile.

I downloaded the Whereyougo app last week. I've tried to play the tutorial a couple of times. But each time, it tells me that my GPS signal is weak, and that I should move around and see if it gets stronger. I did that, but it didn't help. I discovered I could (need to?) turn on the GPS *inside* the app in addition to turning it on through my normal means (Settings, basically). I generally got 10/10 satellites, though a few times I got 11/11. How many satellites does it need to find before it gets a strong enough signal to work? And if that's not the issue, what is? I'm hoping to do my first Wherigo in the field in about twelve hours, so I'd really like to have an idea of what's wrong. Thanks!

(Oh...I'm using an Optimus V phone.)

Edited by And Sister

Just downloaded the Whereyougo app for android. Went to do a Wherigo that I created to test the app. Started the cartridge, but the location would not update. Discovered that the GPS was off in the app. So I turned it on. Now I get a message that says "Sorry, you cannot play this cartridge in simulation mode."

This is a Wherigo I had created about a year ago http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=0a74ffe7-c802-48fa-bc80-46aa8299ba87

I have played it through with the iPhone Wherigo app, and several others have played it through with Androids and Garmins, so I know it is not the cartridge at fault.

I have a Samsung Exhibit II 4G, os 2.3.5. The Exhibit II is actually a Galaxy W, relabeled for T-Mobile.

I've found the solution to my problem. Under settings/Location and Security, you need to turn off Use Wireless Networks so the location data the cartridge is recieving is coming from only the GPSr.

I saw a question on Page 1 that I could use an answer to.

I am new to the 'Droid market, and I'm not very computer literate.

I recently got a Verizon C771, Android version 2.3.3

I downloaded the WhereYouGo app, and all my cartridges.

When I hit the Start button, I get a nastygram:

No Wherigo cartridge available.

Add cartridge file (*gwc) into

/mnt/sdcard/WhereYouGo/ directory

and start WhereYouGo again!

I plugged my phone into my computer, and looked at the WhereYouGo folder, only finding two subfolders, cache and mapOnline. I created another subfolder which I called directory, and moved all my gwc files to it, but I still get the same user error message.

I have no doubt the error is on my end, presumably caused by some misunderstanding on my part, coupled with a lack of understanding with the hardware involved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Sean

"directory" is equivalent to "folder"; it's an older computer term, outdated by the popular term "folder" (I still use "directory" when talking about a system's file structure, though). Thus, it is looking for cartridges in /mnt/sdcard/WhereYouGo/. I recently bought an Asus Transformer (I'm still waiting for the LTE version to be released in the United States) so I could test Wherigo-related things, so I'll be exploring the WhereYouGo app later on so I can provide better support to everyone.

I saw a question on Page 1 that I could use an answer to.

I am new to the 'Droid market, and I'm not very computer literate.

I recently got a Verizon C771, Android version 2.3.3

I downloaded the WhereYouGo app, and all my cartridges.

When I hit the Start button, I get a nastygram:

No Wherigo cartridge available.

Add cartridge file (*gwc) into

/mnt/sdcard/WhereYouGo/ directory

and start WhereYouGo again!

I plugged my phone into my computer, and looked at the WhereYouGo folder, only finding two subfolders, cache and mapOnline. I created another subfolder which I called directory, and moved all my gwc files to it, but I still get the same user error message.

I have no doubt the error is on my end, presumably caused by some misunderstanding on my part, coupled with a lack of understanding with the hardware involved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Sean

I don't know that I would call it an nastygram, but Ranger Fox is on the right track.

To use the app you need to download the PC version of the cartridge on your PC, connect up your phone to your PC, and then move or copy the downloaded cartridge file to the WhereYouGo folder (not a subfolder). Next time you start WhereYouGo, you should see the cartridge list instead of the message.

Hej,

just finished the Wherigo tutorial with a sony xperia pro and the whereyougo-app. It seems to work fine, both with downloading the cartridge with the PC or with direct download with opera mobile to the phone.

But one thing was really disturbing me. When choosing the wrong option when to act with the alien, the whole thing seems to "hang". It was not possible to get back to the main screen, I got stucked with the transponder with which I could scan all the things in my inventory, but nothing happens. The only way to close the app was to kill the process from the app manager. Is this normal?

Thanks for any advice!

(ENG)

Good, now I'm using where you go to make the Wherigo. The problem is that I can put the cartridge in android, but I can not with that where you go show me the map. Someone can help me? Thank you

Someone can put the maps in where you go, I have the locus installed and nothing, someone can give me a hint as we put the map?

(PT)

Boas neste momento estou a usar o where you go para realizar os Wherigo. O problema é que consigo meter os Cartridge no android, mas não consigo com que o where you go mostre o mapa.Alguem me pode ajudar ? Obrigado

I have been using WhereYouGo for a couple of years and have done about 20 of them with this app. Have run in on various phones, including HTC, Sony Ericsson and Sony. It has mostly worked smoothly.

But I do have a major problem that I am curious if it is a problem with the specific player or if it is general? It is that it cannot handle non-ascii characters and these does show up as "?" in the player.

So, characters like é, ü, å... There are many other characters that you would like to use if making native language cartridges. There are of course possibility to use images but that is very cumbersome.

I suppose that one would like to use unicode.

Hi, I have a RAZR maxx and I was able to install the where you go app and the tutorial cartridge properly. I csn wear the spacesuit, but my problem is that I when I start walking the 50m, I don't get a notification when I've reached the distance. The GPS is enabled on my phone and in the app as well. I have know idea what I'm doing wrong. Also I've noticed that in the location field it is showing 4000km away in Washington State. Does anyone have insight to this problem?

They have sure messed up the Where you go app since the update the Battleship carts dont work right. and the regular carts have problems too. the one I played yesterday started asking me questions before I got to the zone then it wouldnt let me go back to the map so I couldnt get to the spot to get the info to answer the questions.:angry: Not Fun!:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

I got a new Samsung S8+ to replace my S6.  Today I transferred apps through the cloud (Verizon) but WhereYouGo didn't show up on the new phone.  I went to download it from Play Store but I can't find it there either.  Is WhereYouGo no longer available for download?  I finally succeeded in transferring the app by using Smart Switch but haven't had a chance to test it.

Hi 

your app 'whereyougo is really nice! But since few days i have the problem that nothing works, can't download any cartridges and cant start some cartidge, a few days ago this app works without any problems, but now, shows only the message 'downloading....Error'
Further, im not the only person with this problem, a lot of peoble wrote in the app store under this app thatthey have the same problem.
I would be happy if you can help me, thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, Marty 1905 said:

Hi 

your app 'whereyougo is really nice! But since few days i have the problem that nothing works, can't download any cartridges and cant start some cartidge, a few days ago this app works without any problems, but now, shows only the message 'downloading....Error'
Further, im not the only person with this problem, a lot of peoble wrote in the app store under this app thatthey have the same problem.
I would be happy if you can help me, thanks a lot!

Use the more modern Wherigo player in Geooh GO. It's the only app that can directly download cartridges and is regularly updated unlike the WhereYouGo app.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:40 AM, SpiritGuide said:

GC1MDAP?

It downloads with Geooh just fine.

Hi, I'm seeing the same issue as @keystonelonestar on my Android phone.  Geooh GO doesn't seem to have fixed his problem, so I'm reluctant to pay for another app to find that it doesn't fix it for me either.

In the past, I've followed the cartridge link on the cache page and downloaded without any issue to WhereYouGo.  I've just tried again for the one you suggested,  GC1MDAP,  to see whether it was an issue with the cartridge I'd been trying to download, but I get the same behaviour.

1. Click latest version link ->

Download cartridge

CGUID:

32cb6856-c506-4553-8563-b3f1f0badd6e

2. Click Download button ->

Connecting ... Logging in ... Downloading ... Downloading: Error

Is anybody still able to use WhereYouGo?  Thanks.

8 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Hi, I'm seeing the same issue as @keystonelonestar on my Android phone.  Geooh GO doesn't seem to have fixed his problem, so I'm reluctant to pay for another app to find that it doesn't fix it for me either.

Geooh has definitely fixed issues related to downloading cartridges from the cache description in the app! The screenshot above is showing exactly that. How can you know it doesn't when you haven't even obtained the app and tried it yourself?!

5 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

Geooh has definitely fixed issues related to downloading cartridges from the cache description in the app! The screenshot above is showing exactly that. How can you know it doesn't when you haven't even obtained the app and tried it yourself?!

Afraid, I don’t.  I only have what keystonelonestar has said to go on.

On 1/16/2020 at 7:07 PM, keystonelonestar said:

I downloaded the Geooh GO app and it gives me the same error as the Wherigo app - "Downloading:  Error"

Do you get the error in WhereYouGo (but not in Geooh GO)?