Logging on Holiday

Hi, we go on Holiday next week, found a TB to go with us, but I just thought, that I will drop the TB off, I wont be able to record it, and it will maybe get picked up again, before I get near the internet to record it. Is this a problem?

I may also find TBs and coins while we are away, and even drop them off again before I have logged it, so again, they may get picked up from the new location before my logging.

Does this upset the system? I know I can backwards record the date of my pickup and drop off, still concerned though.

Will have many logs to download from the Oregon when I finally get home! :D

In the travel bug that you're taking, it is certainly possible to write a note online on the travel bug page, however once abroad, you won't know which travel bugs you're picking up since the cache you're visiting might have a travel bug put there inbetween loggin on the net, and visiting.

The other option is to bring them all back to the UK to give them their mileage, then put them out locally once you've read their goal, however some trackables might want to stay in their country of origin.

It can cause a bit of a problem if somebody takes it from a cache before you've had a chance to log the drop-off, especially if it's picked up by a very new cacher who might not understand why it's in a cache but shows as being with another cacher and then doesn't realise that you can dip a trackable in and out of a cache to keep the mileage correct... etc...etc...

Some cachers print off a few slips to take with them while on holiday which say something like, " <Your caching name> dropped this trackable into this cache on <date>. As we're on holiday we won't be able to do our logs until <date> so kindly wait until after this date before logging your pick-up of this item."

The note can go into the cache with the trackable and hopefully finders will be polite enough to give you time to do your catch-up logs.

MrsB

Edited to add "Snap!" :D

Edited by The Blorenges

I remember in March, I went to an event, and swapped trackables. I went straight home, which was about a 20 minute drive, then straight onto the computer, and others had left before me, however I usually drop in my trackables with my "attended" note, however someone had already "grabbed" one of my trackables, so I just sent the cacher an e-mail asking if they could provide the tracking number, so I can "grab" the bug off them, so I can drop it in the event, and they can then retrieve it, and they e-mailed back the details.

This happened to me this weekend - dropped off a TB on Sunday morning whilst away for a long bank hol weekend. When I got back home on Monday evening and did my logs someone had already picked the TB up and logged that it wasn't showing as in the cache. So I did my log and dropped it in, then e-mailed them to let them know they could retrieve it now.

Alternatively, you can find internet cafes in the most remote and strange places.........

.......or, if you have a wi-fi enabled laptop, treat yourself to a cup of coffee in the local McDonald's and log on!

lefthanded99

When did McDonalds coffee become a treat? :):D:)

Alternatively, you can find internet cafes in the most remote and strange places.........

.......or, if you have a wi-fi enabled laptop, treat yourself to a cup of coffee in the local McDonald's and log on!

lefthanded99

Not always my favourite places, but Wetherspoons now do free wi-fi apparently.

I'll be honest - they do a rather nice mug of tea for 99p too, but the danger being is that they usually sell a real-ale for £1.55 a pint which to a Southerner is a bit of a tease!

Wetherspoons now do free wi-fi apparently.

I'll be honest - they do a rather nice mug of tea for 99p too

Yes, they do do free wifi (or at least the ones in Solihull and Telford do), but can't agree with you on the tea I'm afraid, it mings like a minging thing! They do have some interesting beers sometimes, though. . .

(It's been one of my backup options since the January downgrade rendered GC.com unusable on my work PC . . . take my own laptop out for a quick drink after work if I want to generate a list of caches to do on the way home. Waste of daylight I could be caching in but at least I can get *something* done.)

When we were away i logged all finds via mobile internet at the end of each day but someone pointed out to me that doing this let people know that i was away from my home co-ordinates leaving my home possibly vulnerable. This has now made me stop and think twice about logging whilst away and next time i will probably leave it until i return home. Am i just being paranoid? :)

When we were away i logged all finds via mobile internet at the end of each day but someone pointed out to me that doing this let people know that i was away from my home co-ordinates leaving my home possibly vulnerable. This has now made me stop and think twice about logging whilst away and next time i will probably leave it until i return home. Am i just being paranoid? :)

Maybe... just a bit...

After all, most folks reading your logs won't know your home address or whether you're the only person who lives there. There may be other members of your family 'at home'... or your butler... or even those two 'pups' :D

MrsB :)

When we were away i logged all finds via mobile internet at the end of each day but someone pointed out to me that doing this let people know that i was away from my home co-ordinates leaving my home possibly vulnerable. This has now made me stop and think twice about logging whilst away and next time i will probably leave it until i return home. Am i just being paranoid? :ph34r:

That would depend how close to home your "home coordinates" are, and how much you give away in your logs and forum postings.

If you've set your home coordinates to be close enough that your "nearest caches" list is still relevant but far enough away that it doesn't identify a specific house (I set mine to a major roundabout not far from my home) then even if it is published (which I understand it isn't) then someone has to be pretty determined to figure out that "Hiltay" lives somewhere within a mile or so of some coordinates and is away on holiday. They'd also need to know whether it was worth making the effort to travel to wherever it is you live, tracking down the specific house, and breaking in (i.e. whether you had anything valuable enough to make it worth that much effort).

From your profile your location is listed as "Yorkshire" and your profile photo shows a man with two rather large dogs. Yorkshire's a pretty big place to hunt for a man with two large dogs on the offchance you've got something worth stealing, especially given the extra unknowns that MrsB just offered.

Honestly, I reckon it would be easier for a burglar to watch the houses in their own neighbourhood for evidence someone was away. I've logged caches from my home, from holidays within the UK, from several different states in the US and not worried about it.

Edited by team tisri

Will have many logs to download from the Oregon when I finally get home! :ph34r:

You can download them off of the Oregon??? I though that they were just to show a little treasure chest icon and not show in the "find a geocache" listing if you'd found it.

I'm a newb, but I thought that the travel bugs would be fine so long as you specified the right date, and that as soon as they were taken the computer would "assume" that since they weren't dropped off there, then the drop-off just wasn't logged and would fill in the blanks. If you understand what I'm saying.....

Will have many logs to download from the Oregon when I finally get home! :ph34r:

You can download them off of the Oregon??? I though that they were just to show a little treasure chest icon and not show in the "find a geocache" listing if you'd found it.

I'm a newb, but I thought that the travel bugs would be fine so long as you specified the right date, and that as soon as they were taken the computer would "assume" that since they weren't dropped off there, then the drop-off just wasn't logged and would fill in the blanks. If you understand what I'm saying.....

The Oregon can mark a cache as found, and you can also write notes.

However, as it is not a Qwerty keyboard I use it to make a note of TB's dropped/retrieved and short note of the cache to remember it by -usually two or three words.

When we were away i logged all finds via mobile internet at the end of each day but someone pointed out to me that doing this let people know that i was away from my home co-ordinates leaving my home possibly vulnerable. This has now made me stop and think twice about logging whilst away and next time i will probably leave it until i return home. Am i just being paranoid? :ph34r:

That would depend how close to home your "home coordinates" are, and how much you give away in your logs and forum postings.

If you've set your home coordinates to be close enough that your "nearest caches" list is still relevant but far enough away that it doesn't identify a specific house (I set mine to a major roundabout not far from my home) then even if it is published (which I understand it isn't) then someone has to be pretty determined to figure out that "Hiltay" lives somewhere within a mile or so of some coordinates and is away on holiday. They'd also need to know whether it was worth making the effort to travel to wherever it is you live, tracking down the specific house, and breaking in (i.e. whether you had anything valuable enough to make it worth that much effort).

From your profile your location is listed as "Yorkshire" and your profile photo shows a man with two rather large dogs. Yorkshire's a pretty big place to hunt for a man with two large dogs on the offchance you've got something worth stealing, especially given the extra unknowns that MrsB just offered.

Honestly, I reckon it would be easier for a burglar to watch the houses in their own neighbourhood for evidence someone was away. I've logged caches from my home, from holidays within the UK, from several different states in the US and not worried about it.

thanks for that shot of reality :huh: , i think sometimes you can read too much about being internet secure, not giving out any details that people can use, etc. there are bad people out there but most are normal friendly just like us and since my husband and i started caching its been great to be part of a wider community. :ph34r:

When we were away i logged all finds via mobile internet at the end of each day but someone pointed out to me that doing this let people know that i was away from my home co-ordinates leaving my home possibly vulnerable. This has now made me stop and think twice about logging whilst away and next time i will probably leave it until i return home. Am i just being paranoid? :D

thanks for that shot of reality :( , i think sometimes you can read too much about being internet secure, not giving out any details that people can use, etc. there are bad people out there but most are normal friendly just like us and since my husband and i started caching its been great to be part of a wider community. :laughing:

If I might just back up the point even further from the part I bolded, from your profile picture showing a man with dogs I'd assumed you were the man in the picture. So your profile picture wasn't even painting an accurate representation of who "Hiltay" is.

thanks for that shot of reality :P , i think sometimes you can read too much about being internet secure, not giving out any details that people can use, etc. there are bad people out there but most are normal friendly just like us and since my husband and i started caching its been great to be part of a wider community. :P

If I might just back up the point even further from the part I bolded, from your profile picture showing a man with dogs I'd assumed you were the man in the picture. So your profile picture wasn't even painting an accurate representation of who "Hiltay" is.

To take this back to the 1st question: Under our family username (Sheridans) we have a number of caches in a tourist location. More than half of the finds are logged more than a month after the find and movement of a TB - We do get mails from the TB owners but generally everyone understands that a TB found in our location will be hidden for a month. Dont worry as long as you do the right thing in the end.

Edited by AndyCCF

thanks for that shot of reality :P , i think sometimes you can read too much about being internet secure, not giving out any details that people can use, etc. there are bad people out there but most are normal friendly just like us and since my husband and i started caching its been great to be part of a wider community. :P

I usually only pick up / drop off a TB if I know I can log it on the site the same day. Even if I don't log the cache for a few days I try to keep the trackables up to date. If that seems too much effort on a holiday then don't bother moving trackables at all.

One reason to be prompt is that people do sometimes go out of their way to pick them up. So if a TB is advertised as being in a particular cache it might cause annoyance if it's not actually there. Of course, to some extent it's a risk you take; but whilst you might be unlucky and arrive later on the day that the bug was taken, it seems a bit impolite to allow this situation to stay uncorrected for a week or more.

The other worry is that you pick up a TB on day 1, then drop it in a cache on day 8. Unfortunately, you failed to take a note of the tracking number (and forgot where you picked it up and dropped it off, and what it was called!). It's not so unlikely; it might have been one of several in a travel bug hotel.

Or you took a note then lost it. Now what do you do about it when you get back home...? At least if it's the same day you will probably remember, or can return and check.