Which cache should I do for my 1000th find?

Flintstone5611

So I live in Brampton Ontario, and am approaching my 1000th find. I am totally unsure of which cache I should do for this milestone. I would love to hear everyone's suggestions. I am willing to make a drive for an amazing cache experience, but I would prefer not leaving the country and or making a drive of over 2 hours. Please feel free to throw any suggestions on the table, let's hear what you got.

Why does a cache have to be something special or amazing? It is not the cache you are celebrating, it is the milestone. My 3,000th find was a guard rail micro. The luck of the draw. It made for memorable cache because I visited with friends and we all had a good laugh about it. This has also happened to another cacher I know as we visited a Walmart parking lot in the middle of the night for his 3,000th find.

If you are having fun while doing the cache it is a good cache.

If you do pick a specific cache to go for, make sure you have some fallback caches along the way and keep an accurate count. A few years agao one of our group wanted a specific cache for their milestone and ended up undershooting it by one because we DNF'd a cache on the the to the one they wanted for the milestone. I would hate to see you suffer the embarrassment of making a big deal about the cache only to find out it is not going to be that one.

So I live in Brampton Ontario, and am approaching my 1000th find. I am totally unsure of which cache I should do for this milestone. I would love to hear everyone's suggestions. I am willing to make a drive for an amazing cache experience, but I would prefer not leaving the country and or making a drive of over 2 hours. Please feel free to throw any suggestions on the table, let's hear what you got.

My opinion...Any REAL cache. Like in the old days. Not a micro cache. Not even a film canister. Something with a real logbook and some trading swag so you can write a note in the cache letting everybody know that this was your #1000.

It doesn't matter in the least if the Groudspeak statistics think that it's your 1000th cache. As long as YOU think it's 1000, that's what is important. I've totally messed up my Groudspeak record keeping because I've eliminated some of the old Locationless caches from my "finds"...One of these caches indicated that I had been in Norway, another in New South Wales, and another in Oregon....never been to any of these places, so I got rid of them.

Like I said...just my opinion. The nice thing about this game is that you play by your own set of rules, and are completely free to ignore everything else (within the geocaching hiding/finding guildelines of course)

Edited by TrimblesTrek

I've totally messed up my Groudspeak record keeping because I've eliminated some of the old Locationless caches from my "finds"...One of these caches indicated that I had been in Norway, another in New South Wales, and another in Oregon....never been to any of these places, so I got rid of them.

I've had a traveling cache mess up my Maximum distance in a day statistic. I just overrode the coordinates for it in GSAK to solve that problem. Same thing would work for Locationless.

One of my favourite caches of all time is GC12TA8 - Mining Some Cold Hard Cache.

I would agree that was a fun cache.

A couple of our favorites have been Runestone - GC1CD2H (awesome cave cache) and our all time favorite Rocky Hike, Scenic Drive GC1498V (spend the time and enjoy the scenery coming at the cache from below).

Whatever you decide have fun and congrats on 1000!!!

A couple of our favorites have been Runestone - GC1CD2H (awesome cave cache) and our all time favorite Rocky Hike, Scenic Drive GC1498V (spend the time and enjoy the scenery coming at the cache from below).

Oh I definitely have to go back for Runestone. First attempt I wasn't properly prepared for that one (BRING ROPE). It's on my Todo list for 2010 though. Ragnarok, Devil's Locker and Al's Cache are in the area (if you have a car) and great caving adventures too.

One of my favourite caches of all time is GC12TA8 - Mining Some Cold Hard Cache.

I would agree that was a fun cache.

I haven't tried the Runestone cache but it appears, based on the photos, to be similar to A Cool Place in Kelso - GC1RJM9 and is a lot closer for Flintstone.

Heck, if you're considering nearby crevice caches, you could also consider Rattlesnake Hole - GC13Q52 - another I haven't yet tried.

Why does a cache have to be something special or amazing? It is not the cache you are celebrating, it is the milestone.

I totally understand this perspective. By that same token, it "shouldn't" matter if I take my wife to McDonald's for our anniversary, but unfortunately it does, lol. I am not bent on making this cache a life changing experience, but I think it would be fun to plan it out.

And I totally think your advise on having a cache to fall back on in the case of a DNF is brilliant. I will totally have a contingency in place for that kind of scenario.

Hilton Falls Loop makes a great milestone cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...97c9f&log=y

Maybe you can convince Nozzletime and Timber to join you.

Yikes! I don't know if I have the chops for this one. It does look awesome though!

It will take the better part of a day but is certainly do-able. Especially this time of year.

And Scotty is one of the true gentlemen of caching. You will enjoy his company on the trek. Not to mention Timber.

I'm close to 1k myself and I was hoping to make it GCBBA - Canada's first geocache. It might also be the Maritime Geobash. But those are both a bit outside the 2 hour drive limit you set. :)

I would agree with TrimblesTrek and make it a cache you can write a good long note to mark your milestone or leave a signature item.

Well, all things considered I took a few things from this forum into account when I decided which cache to do for my 1000th. The fact that I wanted to do a neat cache (so I went after a mystery cache that I solved months ago but never retrieved), the fact that the milestone is the celebration and not necessarily the cache itself (decided to keep it close in case the cache was a bust). I ended up going for GC1FCEF Surveyor's Cache, by one of the local masterminds. This is a nice quiet walk close to home. It turned out to be an awesome cacheperience! We saw wildlife (pretty close up), enjoyed the great mild weather and yes, we made the find! Thank you all for helping me on this awesome piece of my cache history!!

Well, all things considered I took a few things from this forum into account when I decided which cache to do for my 1000th. The fact that I wanted to do a neat cache (so I went after a mystery cache that I solved months ago but never retrieved), the fact that the milestone is the celebration and not necessarily the cache itself (decided to keep it close in case the cache was a bust). I ended up going for GC1FCEF Surveyor's Cache, by one of the local masterminds. This is a nice quiet walk close to home. It turned out to be an awesome cacheperience! We saw wildlife (pretty close up), enjoyed the great mild weather and yes, we made the find! Thank you all for helping me on this awesome piece of my cache history!!

Congratulations! The first 1,000 is the most memorable I always say.

I saw your logs, as I happen to have a watch on that particular cache. Great cache choice, and I see you had a lot of fun during your visit. Fun is the most important thing to remember when you go out caching.

I also believe it was the company he was with that made #1000 extra memorable, heck, unforgettable! :rolleyes:

Uh....sure. LOL!

Honestly, this was one of our favourite cache experiences and it was a result of the combination of several important things all being satisfied. All of us were present for it, we got to see something that is beautiful, we found it (kinda critical), and we got proof, lol! The company was satisfactory at best, but necessary!! In the end, we really couldn't have planned for a better milestone!

Why does a cache have to be something special or amazing? It is not the cache you are celebrating, it is the milestone.
I totally understand this perspective. By that same token, it "shouldn't" matter if I take my wife to McDonald's for our anniversary, but unfortunately it does, lol. I am not bent on making this cache a life changing experience, but I think it would be fun to plan it out.

And I totally think your advise on having a cache to fall back on in the case of a DNF is brilliant. I will totally have a contingency in place for that kind of scenario.

Ha, that's funny about dinner.

As for milestones (talking just hundreds so far, I should hit 600 tonight), I've always done mine with either my brother, my daughters or both. I always plan a few as contingency caches in case we do get a DNF as mentioned. With #300 as an example, it was my brother and daughters 100th as well. We chose a park with plenty o' caches and one by the guy who got us into caching. That was our milestone, a tribute to the guy that got us going. Those are the things that make them memorable.

As for my 1000th, I'm thinking this earthcache placed in 2005 and only two finds so far...

That EC does look memorable.

The milestone counts are great and all but it's the adventures that really count.

I just happened to pick up my 200 find out in the Niagara region. #200 was Deer Bait on a VERY memorable, wet, rainy, muddy, slippery, sloppy, sliding, wet, wet, wet bike ride through Short Hill Provincial Park. On the same trip we also picked up You Are Logged In, Canal Lock Box, Haunted Blue Ghost Tunnel, Little Lock N Lock and many more. Actually, the ones we didn't find are just as memorable including the visit to Decew Falls (too wet and slippery to make the decent) and Slip and Slide 2 (water was running too fast). Sure it's nice to hit Deer Bait for one of the milestones but I'll forget that fact soon. I will however be remembering the trip for a long time.

As for my 1000th, I'm thinking this earthcache placed in 2005 and only two finds so far...

I will be close to that one this summer. Spending two weeks with the family in an RV driving from Vitoria to Banff, Jasper, Edmonton, Drumheller, and then flying home from Calgary. I plan of setting some distance, altitude, West, and North records while we are there.

Well, my 1000 came and went in record time. It was my first Wherigo and the CO came along, as did my brother, one of my two daughters, three friends and some of their kids. Ten of us altogether, that's what made it fun.

Keith, as for being in Alberta, will it be mid-July for our mega? Not far at all from Drumheller. In fact we'll have some mega related events happening in the Red Deer River valley, including Drum. Whenever it is, let me know and we could head out for a few together. I'm in Calgary but any of the Alberta stops are a day trip except Edmonton.

As a cache owner, I consider it an honor when a cacher selects one of my caches for a milestone. Over the years my caches have been selected a number of times.

res2100 selected Cool Hand Luke for 3000

geocite selected Tequila:81 Proof for 2000

Winnie The Pooh has selected one of my caches for all of her first 10 "100" milestones.

I selected Team Goju's South Humber Runabout (still one of my most favourite caches) as # 1000 and Adventure Rat's Crossnumbers Prime as # 2000

To some cachers, the numbers are very important and selecting a memorable cache adds to the milestone. For others, the numbers are not important and therefore a specific cache may not matter.

The beauty of Groundspeak's implementation of geocaching is that the preferences of either end of the spectrum can be met.

If the milestone is important to you, I encourage you to select a special cache. And invite the CO to accompany you on the quest. Most CO's will be honored to join you.

Enjoy the milestone and the cache.

I received a disappointing log on one of my caches recently. I have since learned that the cacher was trying to get a milestone for a specific event which is probably why they we so displeased with my cache. As I said before, plan ahead for the chance you may ht a DNF or two along the way. If you do hit a DNF or two along the way, please try to remember it is not always the cache placers fault that you DNF a cache.