May 2010 Photo Competition

Thanks to hobgoblinkiteflier for his excellent analysis of all the pictures, and for picking me as the winner! I rather liked Keehotees' horse photo! My second photo was certainly enhanced by volcanic ash.

I'm judging this time, so please get your photos posted on this thread before the 1st of June.

I'll also just cut 'n' paste the rules (the latest version from the original January 2010 thread):

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a hyperlink(s) to the cache(s) in the post. The cache(s) must be from the UK or Ireland.

2) Two photos per cacher per month (give or take).

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

As this is 'just for fun', I'm not going to be strict about rules 2 or 5, although rule 1 will have to be adhered to. However, if there are several good photos to choose between, I might be tempted to pick one that was actually taken in April 2010 and even more tempted if it's associated with your own caching log! And is the photo is REALLY old, it might only get recognition for Historical Interest.

Obviously, this is going to be highly subjective, so don't get disheartened if you thought your photo was better than the eventual winner. Please keep on trying - especially as the judge will change monthly.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work.

Cheers guys, looking forward to seeing a few entries.

Mark

These were taken while walking around the Stoughton Stumble yesterday with AllyD, MrsD and Millie the Geohound. Unfortunately I cannot remember which two caches we were between so the link goes to the first in the series. Hope that's ok!

GC26BM4 - Stoughton Stumble - Start

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

Thanks for letting me play! If I were judging then a couple of those from other cachers would make me think had about which one would win so good luck!

These were taken while walking around the Stoughton Stumble yesterday with AllyD, MrsD and Millie the Geohound. Unfortunately I cannot remember which two caches we were between so the link goes to the first in the series. Hope that's ok!

GC26BM4 - Stoughton Stumble - Start

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

Thanks for letting me play! If I were judging then a couple of those from other cachers would make me think had about which one would win so good luck!

These bluebell woods make me so homesick! We were too early to see any on our last trip home!

GC1R1HY Where Five Lanes Meet

Here's me having a think on the best way to get to this cache.

There are quite a few wooden sculptures throughout this part of the Chevin. I thought I would just take a moment to have a think in this carved out chair.

13e4d7ad-fbbd-4584-a3ea-d49902dd9752.jpg

Bronte Waterfalls

I've not been geocaching for long, but this has so far been the best place I've been to for playing the game. It was a grand walk on a fantastic sunny day. The family really enjoyed themselves.

0ba2a9b3-bfef-4ef9-a8e5-2227f04bbf0d.jpg

MikeyG.

Hello Everybody,

Just been looking through the photos submitted in May and its quite a tough choice to make. Ive made a few comments and I hope you dont mind.

INDYandCO - really liked the modern feel to this photo reminds me of something you would see in a magazine.

DrDick&Vick - nice photo, great landscape, a broken cloudy sky would have added to it (not that you can predict the weather).

shiltonpig - vibrant colours and a feeling of 3D drawing you in.

Firth of Forth photo 1 - lovely landscape with the dappled sunlight through the trees.

Firth of Forth photo 2 - grand bridge, i would suggest looing at taking it lower down towards the water line and a bit further back along the bank so your eye is drawn along the bridge span and making the most of the sunlight.

Guanajuato photo 1 - good action shot, I can never get these to come out.

Guanajuato photo 2 - although not an entry, I rather like the nervous look from the sheep!

themitchell5 - lovely family caching shot, I have one almost identical from a day out in Tenby a few years ago.

Nick & Ali - two interesting shots of urban wildlife

Von-Horst - what can I say, an interesting puzzling shot, until you see the waves! Clever.

Cornell Finch - two very fine shots and perfect for what we expect to see in May. The second one is naturally framed taking us deep into the woods.

Birdman-of-liskatraz - two fine photos, I like them both

Guanajuato - photos 3 and 4, again really interesting pictures.

DrDick&Vick - photos 3 and 4, nice action shots.

The Flying Boots - I like the cloud stretched over the top of the island.

The Blorenges - two very nice shots, good to see people in them as well, no sign of any bad or ugly that I could see? :laughing:

mitch.mob - Nice photo, I would have taken it from a slightly different angle using the curved rock as a frame on the bay, good photo.

martlakes - yep I think we have all been there looking for that nano! Nice balanced shot. One thing I always struggle with is a level horizon, you have it spot on.

Jedi Caching Powers - you should have had your camera on video mode and made £250! Nice action shot, just a shame about the finger shadow.

Broken-Bones - a very nice pair of shots, a typical scene from May, lovely.

MikeyG. - two very nice pictures, particularly the second one, but then Im a sucker for a good waterfall.

goldpot -lots of interesting colours, rather wanted something to take my focus, still potential in that picture.

So the results are as follows

1ST PLACE - shiltonpig - Deer in the valley. Stunning 3D effect and a picture I would put on a wall.

2nd place - Cornell Finch - Millie in the Bluebells - lovely vibrant colours.

3rd place - themitchell5 - Family and a lighthouse photo, typical geocaching scene.

Thanks to everybody for the taking the time to enter, the quality of the pictures made this a really difficult task.

Best of luck to shiltonpig for judging in June!

Mark