FIFA World Cup visitors thread

Carbon Hunter

I thought I'd place this thread here in case some foreign cachers come to our shores during the World Cup - this can be a starting place to introdcue yourselves and get into contact with local cachers.

I really hope there are lots of you coming over and that you bring trackables to travel SA while you're here.

Hi Bob - yep - Old Arch Fort is not a great part of town to walk about in. So be careful (I guess you'd be in the Parktonian?). A nearby Earthcache and Arch Eland too.

Sunnyside and Men in Skirts are also nearby and easy grabs.

Best - get hold of a local cacher and plan a few caching excursions. Also - I'm sure you'll not be in Joburg the full 7 weeks? We can point you in the right direction as you travel too.

Welcome and enjoy!

A free routable OpenSteetMap for the whole of South Africa is available from here for anyone bringing their Garmin GPS to SA for the World Cup.

I know that the new Cape Town Stadium and surrounds are fully mapped. Could anyone near the other World Cup venues confirm that they are also present and correct?

FIFA 2010 visitors to Nelspruit (Mbombela Stadium), are very welcome to make contact with us for advice, arranging a geocaching outing, or just to get together over a cuppa or a beer and swop stories. We will gladly take geo-visitors on a local geocaching outing, and we're prepared to arrange an event/s to coincide with our football visitors if there's enough interest.

If you're doing a self-drive trip to our area (Kruger Park, Panorama Route, etc) feel free to pop in - you'll normally find Fish Eagle and GPS Storm here

Hello, good afternoon. My name is Nuno, i'm one of the severall portuguese journalists that will travel to SA in order to cover the WC but i want to try caching around with my gps. Between 9th and 23th June i will stay in Midrand and during 24th-26th June in Durban. After that all depends of the Portugal performance. So, if someone can help me i would aprecciate a lot. Is there any caches around Ellis Park, Soccer City or Durban Stadium (i think this one is off), or the training fields Randburg High School, Makhulong Stadium or George Thabe Stadium? I must found a way of moving around (maybe taxi or one dedicated driver, but the prices are very high) and i don't know the areas where i can walk around in safe...

If someone can help me... can send an email or post here, ok?

Best regards from portugal

Nuno Miguel Ferreira

Hi Paidaines

We stay in Midrand. There are quite a few caches in the Midrand area to be found. I would not recommend you searching for any caches near Ellis Park unaccompanied by South Africans who know their way around Johannesburg City.

Once we have decided on some caching trips, we can always get together for a caching day or two.

We will probably attend the event on the 16th - that Wormgeo mentioned... but we'll confirm that soon as well.

I'll be in contact on this thread once our arrangements are finalised.

Wasn't this a great idea for a cache series!? From Canada

GC28FXG World Cup 2010

Wish I'd thought of it. There was one cache for each group. Description follows:

World Cup 2010 - Group A

FIFA's World Cup, the premier international soccer tournament, will be played this summer from June 11 to July 11 in South Africa. This is only the end of a very long and intricate series of qualifying matches that have taken over 3 years and included more than 200 squads representing countries from around the world. 32 teams have advanced to this stage and will compete in a round robin (Group) stage and with the top 16 advancing to the knockout stage to determine the champion. It is one of the most anticipated sporting events and will also be the most watched televised sporting event in history with over a billion viewers expected to tune in.

So we'll a have a little competition of our own.

Group Stage:

This cache is one in a series of eight representing the eight groups of the round robin tournament phase. You can find them in any order you like. If you wish to be part of the competition, when logging your find include in your log the two (2) teams you think will acquire enough points to advance out of the group phase. After the last group game June 25, I will tabulate the results and the top 16 cachers with the most correct picks will move on to the championship phase.

In the event of a tie between 2 or more cachers, the earliest date of finding the last of the eight group caches will be the tiebreaker. If there is still a tie, the winner will be determined by a random draw.

Championship Phase:

Shortly after the last group stage match, June 25, the top 16 cachers from the group stage will recieve (via email) advance notification of the placing of the final cache. The race will be on.

World Cup Champion FTF - Certificate and Commemorative World Cup ball.

2nd - Runner up - Certificate.

Sorry, no FTF for the group stage caches.

When logging your find, include the top 2 teams from this group you think will advance to the knockout stages:

Group A

South Africa

Mexico

Uruguay

France

Our apologies to Paidaines for not organising a caching trip... Unfortunately both of us had been out of it with flu the past three weekends. It's just been too cold to risk making it worse!

I did notice some logs on caches (and on ours) - glad you were able to find a few nevertheless!

Enjoy Durban!!

I enjoyed these caches (though I haven't found too many in that area):

GC16YJF - Reunion Park Mangroves

GC17CG5 - Toti Bird Sanctuary II

GC13NEP - Toti Bird Sanctuary

GCNCQD - The Old Fort

From what I've seen in the media, the Dutch supporters seems to be enjoying the party more than anyone else... They are by now all competent Vuvuzela blowers... And they painted Cape Town's Fan Walk and Stadium orange enough all right...

I met one of them the other day, and what a pleasant chap he was... What I know about Soccer I learned in the last 3 weeks, and I admit that I still don't quite understand all the rules... But I'm getting there... Now this might be a silly way of picking a team that I want to root for... But I hope that Netherlands get to lift the Cup, as just reward for their positive fans...

I wanted to ask the same question. Only 4 foreigners at my caches - my ones are all away from the society so I think this is ok. It is also worth noting that I had a visit by a cacher with the name Carbon Hunter, I wonder if you know him, maybe family. (Lol)

Thanks CH for the visit and your logs and that was one huge surprise.

FE and dakardrix who have the most cache stashes should be able to measure the impact of 2010.

Holland 2-0 and that will be their last win.

Holland against Germans – Germans win by 3-1.

Anton, Am I ruining our friendship? :blink:

Gerhard

I wanted to ask the same question. Only 4 foreigners at my caches - my ones are all away from the society so I think this is ok. It is also worth noting that I had a visit by a cacher with the name Carbon Hunter, I wonder if you know him, maybe family. (Lol)

Thanks CH for the visit and your logs and that was one huge surprise.

Carbon Hunter - ja - but he's an Arab - and they didn't have any teams in the World Cup - so not sure if it counts :blink:

Those caches have been on my TO DO list since you got lost in the plantations trying to place them!!!!

Glad I could do them. Now just need to get a story out.

Holland against Germans – Germans win by 3-1.

Anton, Am I ruining our friendship? :blink:

Oooh. What score would I predict?

Tonight Holland 2-1 (1 - 0 to Holland at half time)

When (or if) they play Germany, I think it will be as follows:

(my heart says) 1-0 Holland

(My head says) 2-1 Germany

Nope not ruining the friendship. It is just a game... just like geocaching, and everyone has an opionion

(Some stronger then others)

Tom, I hate to break bad news to you. We are going off topic but please forgive me as this is important.

Geocaching is about numbers right. Geocaching is sometimes also about mystery caches and solutions and calculations. Is soccer not about numbers? Or is this a mystery?

We have the following:

Brazil won in 1994, 1970. Add the two numbers together and you will get 3964.

Argentina won in 1986, 1978. Add the two numbers and you get 3964.

Germany won in 1990, 1974. Add the two numbers and you get 3964.

Brazil won in 2002, 1962. Add the two numbers and you get 3964.

Who will win the world cup?

Easy to calculate.

Use reverse logic to resolve the problem.

Take 3964 and deduct 2010 from it.

You now get 1954.

Go back and check who win the cup in 1954 to determine the nation.

Germany

I rest my case you honor. Sorry Tom.

To get back to the topic. I did noticed an increase in several other countries watching my caches but no visits.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Nope, no luck and no will to win. Tom, I hope your team do well, best of luck for the final one and I will hold thumbs for you although I still support Germany even if they are no longer a factor and sitting in the crowd watching how others do it.

There is a sudden influx of people into the country. Yesterday, some soccer fans had to watch the game at Durban Airport on a wide screen in the bar with a ticket in his pocket and Durban Airport was closed at one stage due to overloading. We also noted more than the usual numbers of planes flying pass our factory to Jan Smuts. Maybe there was a “wait and see” approach from the foreigners to make sure that RSA can deliver on their promises.

I also noted that there increased activity on my listings; more foreign country visits are being seen. Just maybe we will be able to see some cache visits after the games. I think that some of these visitors will stay and they will explore the country afterwards and some could be cachers. But this will be the odd ones and not a massive increase in the number of logs. Maybe Danie must compare the number of logs 3 months before the world cup and up to present – the graph will show if there was any significant increase in cache finds. I kept and eye on some of the caches near Nelspruit and no significant increase in cache visits can be seen. Gerhard

Hmmm... not world cup related, but I am going to be in the Hartebeespoort area from July 18 to August 7 for work ... I am trying to set up an event at a local Irish Pub/Restaurant ... hope to meet up with some of you there ... maybe even plan a cache run while I am in country ...

rufnredy

(dave)

Nope, no luck and no will to win. Tom, I hope your team do well, best of luck for the final one and I will hold thumbs for you although I still support Germany even if they are no longer a factor and sitting in the crowd watching how others do it.

The Octopus seems to have done better than the numerologists with the Germany/Spain match.

Well done Paul, you psychic calamari!!

Edited by cownchicken
.... planes flying pass our factory to Jan Smuts. ...

:lol: Jan Smuts? Where is that? What is that? :anibad:

Old habits die hard : Even Telkom still refers to it as Jan Smuts:

Outage Num:8115

Telkom ADSL outage affecting Jan Smuts (011 - 390/392/394/975)

Telkom ADSL services in the following area may be Inaccessible : Jan Smuts (011 - 390/392/394/975)

Start Date:2010-07-08 16:39:32

End Date:2010-07-08 18:55:52

:lol:

Now that the world cup is behind us (sniff..) how about converting this thread to a showcase of some of your world cup photos? I know its not very PC to hijack a thread. Just a thought.....

I have loads!

Here is one:

36721_438566318766_615353766_5835717_7343387_n.jpg

GOAL to Holland! (Semi final)

You make us quiet jealous.

Brilliant - we loved watching on TV - thousands of miles awauy - and Proudly South African!

You can blame Henzz and the Doc for that. Henzz suggested I post a picture and the Doc got it going.

It was awesome to have been there at Soccer City and I found a few caches as well!

Trev

We watch the Orange 11 + coach come home on BVN (Dutch Channel on DSTV).

WOW! What a hero's welcome they all received.

I think it was Snijder who said to all their fans, that Spain might have won, but the Dutch have the best fans. I might be a little biased here, so please forgive me, but looking at the orange in stadium, I agree with him.

I heard that the coach and captain received the equivalent of knighthood from the (Dutch) queen.