New to the game with a message for all.......

Welcome to the obsession, friend!

I am glad to see someone with so much enthusiasm start to cache. I've been caching since March of 2006, and I am still just as enthusiastic as when I started. Caching is truly my favorite thing to do! I love Sig items. I collect them. I have a great big book full of them. It's fun to look through it. We make our sig items out of shrinkey-dinks. I draw our logo and otherwise decorate them, cut em out and bake them, and they make waterproof, attractive, small enough to fit in almost any cache items.

When you're making your cache pack don't forget to put CITO (Cache in Trash Out) bags in so that you can pick up trash while you're caching. :)

Hope you enjoy this game as much as we have.

Yes, you sure can use your stamp instead of a signature, but be sure to carry a fine-point pen for signing the logs in these: http://www.soyouwannagogeocaching.com/2008...o-geocache.html

I have heard of these elusive nano caches. At some point I might seek them out, but to begin with I plan to go for a little bit bigger than this. I know some people really enjoy the nano and micro caches in urban areas, but I do not think they will be my cup o' tea...we shall see.

thanks for the tip though, I will remember a pen/pencil should I go a hunting one!!

Welcome to the addiction, $5.

You can use a stamp as a signature.

I've been doing this just over a year; 500 ish finds and just 2 hides so far. I got introduced while visiting a friend in Chicago, who suggested we go geocaching. Like you, I said "what"? I thought it was kind of fun; then when I got home (England) and saw how many caches were near me (the closest was 400 feet away), I got hooked.

Currently I am without GPSr as I had to send it off for repair, so I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I borrowed by wife's iPhone over the weekend and found some with that, but I had to give it back to her...

I feel ya there. I do not have a GPS at all. I plan on using google maps as best I can and maybe in the future I will purchase a hand held. It's good to know the thrill doesn't easily fade!!

thank you for taking the time to share with me!!

~5$

Welcome to the obsession, friend!

I am glad to see someone with so much enthusiasm start to cache. I've been caching since March of 2006, and I am still just as enthusiastic as when I started. Caching is truly my favorite thing to do! I love Sig items. I collect them. I have a great big book full of them. It's fun to look through it. We make our sig items out of shrinkey-dinks. I draw our logo and otherwise decorate them, cut em out and bake them, and they make waterproof, attractive, small enough to fit in almost any cache items.

When you're making your cache pack don't forget to put CITO (Cache in Trash Out) bags in so that you can pick up trash while you're caching. :)

Hope you enjoy this game as much as we have.

Grocery bags for trash are on my list!! I read about the whole CITO creed and I think it is awesome.

I hope that I manage to start a small (or bigger) collection of signature items myself. It will be great to see different people's creations.

Someone (up above) mentioned that signature items annoy some people but I have to think they cannot be more annoying then finding a cache filled with old batteries, used balloons, broken crayons, or other questionable items I have read about.

thank you for replying to my post!!

all the best to you on your continued hunting!

Someone (up above) mentioned that signature items annoy some people but I have to think they cannot be more annoying then finding a cache filled with old batteries, used balloons, broken crayons, or other questionable items I have read about.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We all have different things we like about the game. I LOVE sig items. They're actually the only thing I trade for usually. So don't worry, we can't please everyone, and I think that although some are annoyed, there are still a TON of people who love sig items and will enjoy trading them with you.

If something annoys me in a cache, I just don't trade for it. :)

I've been caching for over 5 years now. And now that I think about it, in the name of environmental consciousness, and quite frankly to help clean out the garage, I am going to start placing all of my unused household chemicals in caches as swag. Perhaps other cachers can trade even or trade up and get some use out of my old paint or shampoo.

In all seriousness, you might want to get a feel for this whole swag thing before you get too enthusiastic about it. Even in the best of containers, swag generally goes to heck in a handbasket in pretty short order. Bad containers, careless cachers, and lack of attention by cache owners is a rampant problem.

I've been caching for over 5 years now. And now that I think about it, in the name of environmental consciousness, and quite frankly to help clean out the garage, I am going to start placing all of my unused household chemicals in caches as swag. Perhaps other cachers can trade even or trade up and get some use out of my old paint or shampoo.

In all seriousness, you might want to get a feel for this whole swag thing before you get too enthusiastic about it. Even in the best of containers, swag generally goes to heck in a handbasket in pretty short order. Bad containers, careless cachers, and lack of attention by cache owners is a rampant problem.

I am not too sure I have appropriately gauged the tone of your reply. Inflection can be lost in text conversations.

Quite obviously there is sarcasm, which is great, (on the right occasion at the right moment) sarcasm can sometimes be endearing. In fact I come from a long line of sarcastic peoples.

However what has stumped me about your reply is what seems to be a message of discouragement. I do not think I will be able to moderate my enthusiasm, nor would I want to.

As far as crappy caches, crappy cachers, or crappy cachees, two things immediately come to mind.

First, I did mention above my sig. items are made of recycled PLASTIC (which we all know NEVER rots) and epoxy which will seal in and set all other materials of the item (I am not 100% on this, but I am pretty certain, that once dry, epoxy lasts for a pretty long time) I put some thought into making trinkets that could survive time, weather, and being handled.

Second, if I place a piece in a cache and walk away I wouldn't really have any way of knowing what actually became of it. Whether it should just rot there, fall out, be intentionally destroyed, or taken and placed in another cache, or taken and cherished, how would I know?

I suppose someone might contact me and say they have found one of my sig pieces, but other than that I kinda was thinking that I put the piece in the cache, walk away, and never know for sure.

So if you are discouraging me from being creative with this game in this way, by making art, not only will I have to kindly thank you then ignore your advice, but I have to wonder why you would ever give such advice.

Is this your advice to all geocachers who make signature items? Are you simply trying to save me a bit of trouble or time? if that is the case, thank you, but I want to do it. It is no trouble and the time is no sacrifice if it is enjoyable.

thank you for taking the time, good to meet ya

~5$

also wondering, what about TB and other types of trackers? would you suggest not purchasing any of these for caches?

thanks! 5$

I've been doing this just over a year; 500 ish finds and just 2 hides so far. I got introduced while visiting a friend in Chicago, who suggested we go geocaching. Like you, I said "what"? I thought it was kind of fun; then when I got home (England) and saw how many caches were near me (the closest was 400 feet away), I got hooked.

That would actually be a great thread, redsox_mark! 'How close to a cache were you when you first discovered geocaching?'

I have one just down the hill from me... 900 feet.

Personally, I think the sig items you mention would be fun to find... not that I'd take them as I'm currently trying to declutter my life, but certainly fun to see in a cache.

Sad as it is, swag quality deteriorates over time. It's a universal constant like the speed of light, and it doesn't take many finds to realize this. One of my first finds contained two broken McD toys, a dirty head off of a stuffed bunny, and a jumble of stickers that had passed the accretion disk phase and formed themselves into a mini proto-planet.

I decided to commit myself to trying to improve cache swag at that point by leaving new, quality matchbox cars for the kids, new packaged items like golf tees, lapel pins, funky pens, etc. As much as swag is the secondary point in geocaching, it is fun to find a cache full of interesting and varied items.

As far as TB's and coins go, there's no rush to go out and buy them. Find and move a couple first to see if it's something that really interests you. Many go MIA, you should realize that and be ready to accept that should you purchase any.

Swag quality deteriorates over time. It's a universal constant like the speed of light

Actually, that's not true. The few caches I own that are reasonably close to parking suffer from swag degradation as much as anybodies, but those that require a significant tromp through a swamp or paddling in gator infested waters actually seem to have an increase in overall swag quality over time. Initially, I attributed the lack of degradation to the fact that these hard to reach caches get fewer visits, but measuring swag quality in easy hides vs. difficult hides, over an equal number of visits, dispelled that myth. For those caches that I find, which are fairly simple, I drop in either a handmade Geocaching keychain or a mini baggie with some antique foreign coins, taking nothing in return. For those caches that take all day to reach, I drop a lot more stuff. I'm thinking that those folks who aren't P&G hunters might be following my example. Maybe? :)

Good morning 5$Guitar,

Thanks for the inspirational read. I look forward to receiving my hug. I have one question for you though, is it a hug for the initial post or one for each post of yours I read? :)

I have been caching since 2003 and still have the same thrills that I had when I started.

Over the course of time I have changed my goals and methods to maintain my enjoyment so I thought I would point them out to you.

Start of caching life

1. Keep 100 mile circle clean of unfound caches.

2. Have all cache and TB icons on my profile as a found item. (At the time there were only three different TB types.)

Current goals.

1. Find a cache in all 3141 US county/county equivilents

2. Complete the Difficulty/Terrain grid

3. Enjoy the location more than finding the cache.

I first look to find any cache in an unfound county and after finding a qualifying cache I then look for caches that have great location.

This keeps my thrill level high.

I don't trade SWAG much because I do so much travel that I have to keep my luggage light so unless it fits in my pocket I don't carry it with me. But I do love signature items and have a collection of the more artistic/thoughtful ones I have found.

Lastly, while I admire your patience and desire to have everything in place before you start I must warn you that when the addiction takes hold you will find that you cache at any opportunity. This means that you will have a few spare minutes and the knowledge of a cache that is near, your bag and stamp will be at home and you will search for the cache anyway. Since this is going to happen anyway you might as well start logging and enjoying the caches you find now with the knowledge and assurance that soon you will be caching fully armed with sig items and a full pack.

Welcome and hope to meet you one the trails one day.

PS. Don't forget to get the husband and kids involved. It is a great family activity.

thank you temperance, clanriff, nymph, and webscouter for your replies!

temp "Personally, I think the sig items you mention would be fun to find"

excellent! like I said a while back in one of my responses to this thread, I cannot imagine signature items somehow being worse than hiking for miles to score a broken crayon. I understand that this game is only partially about the swag, but it seems as though it could be an awfully fun part of it.

temp "One of my first finds contained two broken McD toys, a dirty head off of a stuffed bunny, and a jumble of stickers that had passed the accretion disk phase and formed themselves into a mini proto-planet."

Love the visual of the mini proto planet! LOL It seems that some well thought about items you put into caches certainly helps when it comes to items that can stand the abuse of time, weather, and wilderness.

temp "I decided to commit myself to trying to improve cache swag at that point by leaving new"

this is my theory, and I know I haven't even started yet, but just by reading others' logs about what they have found in caches (both the good and the bad) it seems to me in theory that the more cachers willing to spend a little more time and thoughtfulness on their swag leaves, the better the swag might become for all players. You can certainly set an example, and while you shouldn't expect everyone to fall into follow, as long as your expectations are rational and your motives positive, I certainly do not see any harm in trying to improve swag in caches.

temp "As far as TB's and coins go, there's no rush to go out and buy them."

I hadn't even considered purchasing my own to leave, not yet. In all honesty, I only asked this question because I felt like (unnamed) was possibly just trying to be a smart arse with his comment and so I had to point out that by his description TB would be a complete waste of time and money. I would guess to say that 99% of all geocachers expect that a TB they place could quite likely become damaged or lost. However, if everyone simply began thinking, "it's just not worth it" then over time we may as well just make all caches nano or micro and skip any swag all together.

I think the notion of TBs is a really cool one. I hope to find one someday, and I am sure at some point I will purchase one to place myself.

clanriffster "Actually, that's not true. The few caches I own that are reasonably close to parking suffer from swag degradation as much as anybodies, but those that require a significant tromp through a swamp or paddling in gator infested waters actually seem to have an increase in overall swag quality over time. Initially, I attributed the lack of degradation to the fact that these hard to reach caches get fewer visits, but measuring swag quality in easy hides vs. difficult hides, over an equal number of visits, dispelled that myth. For those caches that I find, which are fairly simple, I drop in either a handmade Geocaching keychain or a mini baggie with some antique foreign coins, taking nothing in return. For those caches that take all day to reach, I drop a lot more stuff. I'm thinking that those folks who aren't P&G hunters might be following my example. Maybe? "

those are encouraging points clan. I hope you are correct about the idea of setting an example. Like I wrote in reply to Temp, it seems to be this is a reasonable theory to work on and only to the potential benefit of all caches and cachers.

Nymph: "I'd also like to think that when I drop really good swag that others will be inspired to do the same... maybe it's not completely true, but it's like the starfish story"

I am so happy to be reading from more cachers that seem to agree with my thoughts on this than the ones that think I am wasting my time, that I am just green and stupid, or whatever. Yes it is true, we cannot expect that all cachers will add swag with a bit of mindfulness and heart, but does that mean that it is not worth doing what we can as individuals? does that mean we should all just give up and start placing broken used balloons, q-tips, or worn out happy meal toys? If the answer to that is a "yes" than why does anyone bother with having any sort of swag at all? May as well do away with all the different types of caches and just have micro or nano caches only. Also, if you have no interest in swag at all and plan to leave nothing, why is it too much to just sign the log book, ignore the swag, take nothing leave nothing, and go on to your next find? It seems as though with so many people participating in this game/sport it just makes sense to respect the old phrase "each to their own" and play the game the way that fits you best (so long as you can maintain a level of integrity and respect for other ways to play the game)

webscouter "Thanks for the inspirational read. I look forward to receiving my hug. I have one question for you though, is it a hug for the initial post or one for each post of yours I read?"

LOL if you count how many replies of mine there are (cause I haven't) I will happily mail to you an IOU a hug for each of them!

webscouter "This keeps my thrill level high."

I quite like your personal twist to the game. Making specific goals as to what kinds of caches and where you will find them. It is awesome that it is keeping the game that much more enjoyable for you.

webscouter "Lastly, while I admire your patience and desire to have everything in place before you start I must warn you that when the addiction takes hold you will find that you cache at any opportunity. This means that you will have a few spare minutes and the knowledge of a cache that is near, your bag and stamp will be at home and you will search for the cache anyway. Since this is going to happen anyway you might as well start logging and enjoying the caches you find now with the knowledge and assurance that soon you will be caching fully armed with sig items and a full pack."

I logged my first find last night, though I did find it a few days ago. I wasn't going to log that find until I had a signature item to go back and leave. I decided to skip that plan. Several of the logs to this particular cache seemed in some ways a little negative and since that wasn't my experience at all, I thought I should be sure to leave my two cents. I have gathered, from what some of you have written in replies to this post, that caches are often judged for quality according to what the cachers have logged about them. I might go back and leave a signature item later.

I am looking forward to being addicted!! I may have to always keep my pack in tow, that way it doesn't matter when I get the urge. LOL

webscouter "Welcome and hope to meet you one the trails one day."

"PS. Don't forget to get the husband and kids involved. It is a great family activity."

THANK YOU!! and I have told the kids all about it and, of course, they love the idea. My man, on the other hand, does even like to walk to the mailbox. LOL though he seemed to be pretty impressed with the whole idea of the game. He thought it was a neat creation. Maybe I will be able to get him out for just one cache find. (I was joking about the mailbox thing.....uh, kinda)

I forgot to say again, thank you all for taking the time to read this thread and the extra time to add your comments!

much respect~ 5$

Edited by FiveDollarGuitar

...why does anyone bother with having any sort of swag at all? May as well do away with all the different types of caches and just have micro or nano caches only.

It's been my experience that micros and nanos are unimaginative and for the most part placed because they are small and will fit almost anywhere, and because they are cheap to produce - often $0. At least larger caches that can hold swag, take a little more investment and a little more thinking when it comes to finding a good place to hide them, so they're likely to be a better caching experience.

I logged my first find last night, though I did find it a few days ago.

Good for you. Now you are a full-fledged participant. Really nice write-up. I'm sure the CO will appreciate it. I'm curious - how did you manage to fit an oil lantern and a metal coffee mill into a small-size cache? =)

...why does anyone bother with having any sort of swag at all? May as well do away with all the different types of caches and just have micro or nano caches only.

It's been my experience that micros and nanos are unimaginative and for the most part placed because they are small and will fit almost anywhere, and because they are cheap to produce - often $0. At least larger caches that can hold swag, take a little more investment and a little more thinking when it comes to finding a good place to hide them, so they're likely to be a better caching experience.

Good for you. Now you are a full-fledged participant. Really nice write-up. I'm sure the CO will appreciate it. I'm curious - how did you manage to fit an oil lantern and a metal coffee mill into a small-size cache? =)

Well.......

I was kinda going to leave that for the next person hunting that cache to wonder. LOL but since you are in Canada and not likely to go hunting it any time soon.......

they are perfect miniatures made of metal and copper. they have moving parts and awesome detail. I have had them for years, they used to be my mother's, I enjoyed messing with them as a child. They are just little things that sit around and collect dust. I thought in the theme of this particular cache that they would make fun swag.

I also have a small metal cash register, old fashion looking. It is also a pencil sharpener. I thought I would leave that behind as well, and call it the Cache Register, LOL but it did not fit into this particular cache.

I am attaching some pics so you can get the idea. I have a bunch more of these little figures, but I probably will not part with anymore of them. : )

2m2upg0.jpg

this is the cache register.

24xi746.jpg

this is it from the side. The drawer opens and closes and holds the pencil shavings. The handle (hard to see here cause this pic is a little blurry, turns to sharpen the pencil.

24ox9h0.jpg

and this is a little coffee perk I have. You can see they are pretty tarnished, but the copper shines through just a bit in places. Notice the filter piece come out. I placed it next to a lighter so you can get an idea of it's size.

27y3ggx.jpg

this is a little hutch cupboard. the doors and drawers all open and close. this has always been one of my favorite.

35bgh2t.jpg

and this is a small mixing bowl with a beater. the crank turns and the beaters spin. fun little piece, I likely will not be parting with this one either.

I have several others besides these, but I think you get the idea. The lantern I placed looks like the old kind with the handle to carry or hang.

nice to meet ya!! 5$

holy heck!! those came out GIGANTIC!!! sorry bout that. obviously, I do not know what the heck I am doing.

~5$

it is very possible that banishment to hell is in your near future.

<_<

bleh...where's the devil icon!

LMAO I said I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do it!!

:(

I fixed it!! :)

Well.......

I was kinda going to leave that for the next person hunting that cache to wonder. LOL but since you are in Canada and not likely to go hunting it any time soon.......

they are perfect miniatures made of metal and copper. they have moving parts and awesome detail. I have had them for years, they used to be my mother's, I enjoyed messing with them as a child. They are just little things that sit around and collect dust. I thought in the theme of this particular cache that they would make fun swag.

I also have a small metal cash register, old fashion looking. It is also a pencil sharpener. I thought I would leave that behind as well, and call it the Cache Register, LOL but it did not fit into this particular cache.

I am attaching some pics so you can get the idea. I have a bunch more of these little figures, but I probably will not part with anymore of them. : )

2m2upg0.jpg

this is the cache register.

24xi746.jpg

this is it from the side. The drawer opens and closes and holds the pencil shavings. The handle (hard to see here cause this pic is a little blurry, turns to sharpen the pencil.

24ox9h0.jpg

and this is a little coffee perk I have. You can see they are pretty tarnished, but the copper shines through just a bit in places. Notice the filter piece come out. I placed it next to a lighter so you can get an idea of it's size.

27y3ggx.jpg

this is a little hutch cupboard. the doors and drawers all open and close. this has always been one of my favorite.

35bgh2t.jpg

and this is a small mixing bowl with a beater. the crank turns and the beaters spin. fun little piece, I likely will not be parting with this one either.

I have several others besides these, but I think you get the idea. The lantern I placed looks like the old kind with the handle to carry or hang.

nice to meet ya!! 5$

Where did you find that giant lighter?

you know about the 40/1 rule, right? You can only make 40 fourm posts for each cache you find :)

Just kidding! Welcome to the madness. I've been caching five and a half years and really nothing has changed for me. I didn't like shopping malls then and I don't like them now. <_<

And just for a laugh, here's the National Lampoon spoof on the Desiderata:

You are a Fluke of the Universe.

You have no right to be here,

and whether you can hear it or not,

the Universe is laughing behind you back.

Hi 5$,

You have asked about sock puppets a couple of times.

At first I thought you were one! Your opening post shows that you know quite a lot about the game yet you've never found any caches. You used words that I would expect an old-timer to know but not a newbie. That set my sock puppet sensor to quivering. The longer I watch this thread though the less confidant I am in that belief since you didn't launch into controversy. I have to admit that I still wonder sometimes if you're some guy in Albuquerque giggling madly while shining all of us on! :)

Sock puppet accounts are mostly used as a throw-away account that someone creates when they want to post something obnoxious... a lure trolled (thus the phrase 'troll post') to catch the unwitting up in a controversy, or to attack someone and inflame the forum.

They create a sock puppet account so that they can remain anonymous and keep the mess they start from spattering all over their real account, and they know that if they are successful then the account will get banned or deleted.

Thus sock puppets are reviled, banned in most forums, and not something that you need at all.

Edit to add - Those metal figurines are way cool! If I lived in your area I would be following your logs from cache to cache collecting them!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Hi 5$, you sound like me! I've just started geocaching when my bff came for a visit 3 weeks ago & said 'hey, you want to try something called geocaching?'

And with those words, my entire world shifted. Within a week I had purchased my own gps (we were using his iphone but I found the gps is waaaaay more accurate). If I might suggest, when you're ready for one, check out the new ones around your town but buy a used model. I picked up a great one barely used on a local used site. I guess they weren't bitten as deeply by the game as I was! hehe

I have a 4 year old daughter and we go out every weekend to find 'treasure'. She refuses to part with anything of her own so we've hit the dollar store in town (a couple times now) and I take great satisfaction in trading up in caches wherever we go. I'd love to create a signature piece. Will require some thought.

I've also found the lock & lock boxes on sale in town and am always wondering in an idle moment, where should I start hiding them? I think my fellow geocachers in Nanaimo will appreciate some new hides since anytime something new comes out, it's found by at least 3 separate groups almost immediately.

Now I look forward to my free time, getting outside, seeing new places I had no idea existed, admiring the creativity of the local geocachers and I especially am looking forward to ROAD TRIPS!! lol

Hope you continue to enjoy, good hunting!

Hi 5$,

You have asked about sock puppets a couple of times.

At first I thought you were one! Your opening post shows that you know quite a lot about the game yet you've never found any caches. You used words that I would expect an old-timer to know but not a newbie. That set my sock puppet sensor to quivering. The longer I watch this thread though the less confidant I am in that belief since you didn't launch into controversy. I have to admit that I still wonder sometimes if you're some guy in Albuquerque giggling madly while shining all of us on! :)

Sock puppet accounts are mostly used as a throw-away account that someone creates when they want to post something obnoxious... a lure trolled (thus the phrase 'troll post') to catch the unwitting up in a controversy, or to attack someone and inflame the forum.

They create a sock puppet account so that they can remain anonymous and keep the mess they start from spattering all over their real account, and they know that if they are successful then the account will get banned or deleted.

Thus sock puppets are reviled, banned in most forums, and not something that you need at all.

Edit to add - Those metal figurines are way cool! If I lived in your area I would be following your logs from cache to cache collecting them!

Hello There Alabama!!

I assure you I am no sock puppet or finger puppet or marionette! :D

I have been learning all these words and acros by reading up. Call me crazy, but I really wanted to have a pretty good grasp on how this game works before setting out to play. I really didn't want to do anything that went against any kind of cacher code. The more I read and googled, the more I had to google more, mainly just to learn what the heck you guys were all talking about. All I can say is thank god for the geocacher glossary of terms. :(

I am glad you liked the cache pieces I have placed already. Tells me I am on the right track! It is important to me to be a cacher that gives a happy, fuzzy <_< feeling to those who take the time to find. It is only what I would hope for in finding a cache myself, so it seems fair.

thank you for your faith in my honest participation, and your comment.

I have absolutely no desire to experience or participate in the controversial or negatively dramatic side of geocaching! Just looking for the fun stuff!!

much respect~ 5$

Hi 5$, you sound like me! I've just started geocaching when my bff came for a visit 3 weeks ago & said 'hey, you want to try something called geocaching?'

And with those words, my entire world shifted. Within a week I had purchased my own gps (we were using his iphone but I found the gps is waaaaay more accurate). If I might suggest, when you're ready for one, check out the new ones around your town but buy a used model. I picked up a great one barely used on a local used site. I guess they weren't bitten as deeply by the game as I was! hehe

I have a 4 year old daughter and we go out every weekend to find 'treasure'. She refuses to part with anything of her own so we've hit the dollar store in town (a couple times now) and I take great satisfaction in trading up in caches wherever we go. I'd love to create a signature piece. Will require some thought.

I've also found the lock & lock boxes on sale in town and am always wondering in an idle moment, where should I start hiding them? I think my fellow geocachers in Nanaimo will appreciate some new hides since anytime something new comes out, it's found by at least 3 separate groups almost immediately.

Now I look forward to my free time, getting outside, seeing new places I had no idea existed, admiring the creativity of the local geocachers and I especially am looking forward to ROAD TRIPS!! lol

Hope you continue to enjoy, good hunting!

I know what you mean Jinx!! I too am already thinking about places to hide a cache. I am not going to jump the gun though. I want to find several first before making my own. I have read the "you want to hide a cache" info page and honestly, it sounds a little complicated and official. I understand it has to be this way to assure the quality and that the rules are followed. Hopefully once I have a better grasp on caches I will feel more confident in creating my own. I wanna make a BIG one. :)

thank you for your "hello" and for sharing your story!! I hope this excitement never wears off.

much respect~ 5$

you know about the 40/1 rule, right? You can only make 40 fourm posts for each cache you find :)

Just kidding! Welcome to the madness. I've been caching five and a half years and really nothing has changed for me. I didn't like shopping malls then and I don't like them now. <_<

And just for a laugh, here's the National Lampoon spoof on the Desiderata:

You are a Fluke of the Universe.

You have no right to be here,

and whether you can hear it or not,

the Universe is laughing behind you back.

greetings huk!

I guess this means I am running a little behind and I owe the forum another cache!

funny, I hate shopping too!! I especially hate malls!! UHG. just the thought of them makes me grit my teeth.

I hope I hang in this as long as you have. thank you for your welcoming to the geocache madness!

oh, and the Lampoon spoof, I have read it before. There is actually another version as well, but I cannot post it here. I would have to 'bleep' too many words for it to make any sense. :(

I do love the poem though, even if in someways it seems a little too hippy dippy, tree loving, wheat headed granola munchin' fantastical. Over all the message is an incredibly positive one.

thank you! 5$

I haven't been on much (only my 2nd post this year! kind of a "life got in the way" kind of thing though we still cache semi-regularly) but your story reminded me of something we had last night.

We were at my kids' Little League games with my mom and construction of a bridge blocked the normal way home. My mom insisted she knew a shortcut I didn't know about but when she described it I told her that because of a new department store on that way they blocked off the shortcut since it would cause massive traffic through some very quiet residential neighborhoods.

How did I know this? Well went it first went up someone who lives on that street put a very clever cache in the area of the blockage so people (at least those who cache) could see this and know about it. I went by there and showed her the hide and she thought it was interesting.

YAY!! I finally finished crafting a handful of my signature pieces that I have been rambling on about.

I told a few of you (the ones that seem interested) that I would post pics here when I finished them. This is a first go, I have never made anything like this before so it was a little experimental. As time goes I am hoping I will only come up with better ways of execution.

I would like to add these images, and the new images of the signature pieces I have yet to make, to my profile. I cannot seem to figure out how one goes about adding to their gallery. Anyone know how I would do that? (thanks in advance!!)

wgyt5w.jpg

This is the first one I made. There are words on the back of each of these. I didn't bother taking pictures of that. (thank me later : ) this one says, "may the music set you free" hence the wings and whatnot. I would say it was like a Freebird type theme, but I think that title belongs to someone else.

33wpf6f.jpg

These are each made out of about 3/4 recycled stuff. The main body of each is a plastic bottle cap. The words on the back of this one read, "celebrate the music of the world"

24xp6yx.jpg

...and this one reads, "unlock the music of the heart"

3zdqf.jpg

and finally. "take the time to take in nature's symphony"

so there they are in all their glory. :anicute: I hope I can get some tweaking worked out to improve on the whole project a bit.

I placed two of them in caches today!! happy caching!

Wow! These are beautiful... I said in a prior post that I would not pick up signature items, but something like this might certainly change my mind! Nice work.

As far as I understand the gallery consists of the collected pictures that you have attached to your logged finds.

For example if you revisit your log for Dogs Day #2, you'll see that there is an option to 'Upload an Image for This Log'. If you add an image it's automatically added to your gallery. If there is another way to add photos to the gallery, I don't know it...

Cheers!

Wow! These are beautiful... I said in a prior post that I would not pick up signature items, but something like this might certainly change my mind! Nice work.

As far as I understand the gallery consists of the collected pictures that you have attached to your logged finds.

For example if you revisit your log for Dogs Day #2, you'll see that there is an option to 'Upload an Image for This Log'. If you add an image it's automatically added to your gallery. If there is another way to add photos to the gallery, I don't know it...

Cheers!

Well, it is official, if I wasn't an annoying poster before, I am now.

I just posted this question in another post. LOL

apparently, right as you were answering it!!

It does seem to appear to me that everyone's gallery photos are attached to cache find logs. So I think you may be correct about this. bummer. Maybe someone else will have some info on another way to do it, but I ain't holding my breath, I think we got it right.

thank you for your kind compliments!!

they mean a lot.

much respect~ 5$

Take your camera along the next time you go caching and take a picture of your sig item as you place it in the cache. You will build up a gallery of your items, your pics will be on topic, you can keep track of which sig item you left where, you'll have nice picture mementos of all your art, and everyone can enjoy your pics of your find.

Just try not to leave a spoiler on the actual cache hiding spot.

I really enjoy visiting the galleries of caches I've found. It's fun to see other peoples experiences, what they've traded, their family photos, etc.

Oh Em Gee! You did THAT with a milk cap!?!!!! I have been RACKING my brains for ways to use those caps (because it just SUCKS to throw them away when I know birds are eating them and dying from it!), AND wanting to make some higher quality swag! I know mine won't look as amazing as that, but do you mind if I try to make some along those lines?

Oh Em Gee! You did THAT with a milk cap!?!!!! I have been RACKING my brains for ways to use those caps (because it just SUCKS to throw them away when I know birds are eating them and dying from it!), AND wanting to make some higher quality swag! I know mine won't look as amazing as that, but do you mind if I try to make some along those lines?

those were my thoughts exactly!! A lot of people do not know you are supposed to remove these from the bottles before you put the bottles into the recycle bin. No choice but to throw them out.

Of course I don't mind. Mine are all within the theme of music/instruments.

I did some research to find the right epoxy to use, this is a plastic hardener, and I came across this stuff called magic cast. It dries super clear, and without bubbles. There are a lot of steps involved in using it correctly to get the best results, just read the instructions with the product. You can buy it at most craft stores. Have fun!! hey and send me some pics if you make some, I would love to check em out!

nice to meet you! 5$

Sound like you got the sickness. Be prepared for some great adventures!

BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING IT!!

thanks for replying and good to meet ya Brian

Hi 5$! I'm fairly new (almost up to 2 months now!) but welcome and thanks for the great post! As it happens, I will be at disney world in June. I'm hoping to find a few caches while I'm there, but I don't know if the family will play along! Like you, I started to get me (and my son) away from the tv, and my fave caches are those in a secluded area with a bit of a hike. Of course, with the 6 yr old, the hike has to be at most 3/4 mile!

Yep... those sig items are fantastic! Having no artistic talent myself I am always amazed at what some people can create. I would suggest making some of these into travelbugs. They would probably disappear pretty quickly but it would be fun to see where they go before that happens! Wish I lived closer to your area. I would definitely look for these!

Yep... those sig items are fantastic! Having no artistic talent myself I am always amazed at what some people can create. I would suggest making some of these into travelbugs. They would probably disappear pretty quickly but it would be fun to see where they go before that happens! Wish I lived closer to your area. I would definitely look for these!

That is a HUGE compliment, thank you.

I posted these images to my social network page to share with my friends. (my page is only friends, no unknown creepers) the thing is this..... I just told people "look at my new craft making these little trinkets" and I did not bother saying anything about geocaching. I just didn't feel like explaining it yet and I am not ready to share. Even though there are tons of us who play, I do not know but one person personally. Though, if I starting asking I might be surprised who I do know that caches. Anyhow, long story short, I got comments on them saying things like, "you could sell these" LOL

All I could think when reading that was, "sell them!?! I AM GIVING THEM AWAY!"

I might have to make a whole lot more of them now, at least 5 of my friends have requested one, and I just posted the pics today!

good grief. I might have to spill the beans about geocaching yet. (but not just yet) shhhhhhhh

~ 5$

quick question.... can I attach a found tag to them or must I buy my own tag to attach to one?

also, is there anything particular I need to know about trackable items?

(I need to save enough money to get a paid membership first, oh geez and I need a GPS, this game is crazy hard without one, then I guess I can buy a tag)

quick question.... can I attach a found tag to them or must I buy my own tag to attach to one?

also, is there anything particular I need to know about trackable items?

(I need to save enough money to get a paid membership first, oh geez and I need a GPS, this game is crazy hard without one, then I guess I can buy a tag)

Well. I see you've banked enough finds to make 480 forum posts now. :o

The basic answer is, you have to buy your own tags for travelbugs. Occasionally you will find a TB that asks you to add something, usually on a chain or something, and then take a picture.

Starting one is easy. You just have to come up with a name and a mission. Some people create long elaborate stories and missions, others send theirs out pretty bare.

I'm sending you an email with some ideas...

(Yes, you REALLY gotta get a gps. I have a feeling the paid trial membership won't be a problem :o )

5$G,

Welcome to the club! I've been Geocaching since June 2007 so I'm almost at the 3 year mark.

I remember being equally enthusiastic when I first started. It took me a while to stop pointing out caches to whomever was in the car while driving (there's one over there...there's another over there...oh, and that one took FOREVER to find - what evil mind thinks to drill out an oak ball, put a small container in it, and hang it in an oak tree?!). I too did a TON of research before diving into the activity (researched GPSrs, bought and read Geocaching for Idiots cover to cover, and was well aquainted with the lingo before my first find.

I caught some pics of your sig items and I have to say: WOW. Gotta say I don't have the patience to put that much time into sig items (so I have signature PathTags instead). I tend to spend my spare time crafting creative containers (although if you're like me you agonize where to place something that's taken hours to make so that it doesn't get muggled right away).

I have two pieces of advice to all newcomers:

Hide caches that you love to find. I think I had over 150 finds before I hid my first cache. It is a nighttime cache that I placed in an urban environment, was inspired by another find I made, and is still well received. Hide what you like to find with the hope you'll inspire others in your area to put something out for you to better enjoy.

Go to events! The first few events are a bit nerve wracking but so well worth the effort. As you've seen in these forums, Geocaching can be a wonderful community that welcomes new people - especially those with a bunch of enthusiasm. Don't be surprised if you're invited to join others on a Geocaching outting. I know I would offer to take you if I were in the area (the offer does stand if you're ever in the Sacramento California area).

Most importantly - have fun.

~Papa EGTH of the Elk Grove Treasure Hunters