Clarksville, IN Lewis & Clark Commemorative Mark Dedication

DaveD

Benchmark hunters in the vicinity of Louisville, KY / Clarksville IN mark your calendars for the dedication of the Lewis & Clark, Corps of Discovery II GPS monument this Saturday, October 25, 11 AM at George Rogers Clark Home Site, Clarksville. There will be dedication remarks made by:

NGS Kentucky State Geodetic Advisor, Ross Mackay

Indiana Society of Professional Surveyors, Indiana Historical Landmarks Society,

Clarksville Historical Society

U. of Akron award winning surveying students and staff.

For additional info see -- http://ngs.ky.gov/

Dave,

Thanks for bringing this up.

My wife and I lived in the Louisville area for about 3 years, and our son was born in Clarksville, IN. I won't make this ceremony, but I hope to visit the mark on a future visit to the area.

Looking a bit into the future, are there any tentative plans set for St. Louis in March of 2004? My family is making the journey to attend the "Three Flags" ceremony and take in the Lewis & Clark festivities there.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

[This message was edited by gnbrotz on October 24, 2003 at 02:08 PM.]

Lewis and Clark Expadition Virtual

GC64AC

Since I got the one at Monticello someone else can get this one only one per Cacher

Thanks DaveD,I linked on the Cache page as well.

While at that Mark look for the

Corps Of Discovery 200th Anniversary Virtual

GCH2X2

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MOGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

Are you refering to Monticello or another mark?

I only found 1 and I can't remember seeing a boat ramp.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com

The NGS Illinois Geodetic Advisor, Chris Pearson is currently discussing the most appropriate loction for the mark to be set for this Lewis & Clark signature event. I will post more info as it becomes available.

Just wanted to bump this back up as I'm counting down the week until I depart for St. Louis.

DaveD: Is there a site where I can keep tabs on this and future marks that will be set?

Thanks Dave. I found that page shortly after my last post, but it seems that all events are listed as either "Done" or "Upcoming". The "Done" listings provide details about the dedication, but the "Upcoming" ones don't show any info in regards to dates & times for the dedication.

I'll keep watching, but I'll probably try to contact Steven Randall and/or Chris Pearson as well.

Thanks Dave. I found that page shortly after my last post, but it seems that all events are listed as either "Done" or "Upcoming". The "Done" listings provide details about the dedication, but the "Upcoming" ones don't show any info in regards to dates & times for the dedication.

I'll keep watching, but I'll probably try to contact Steven Randall and/or Chris Pearson as well.

Hi GNBrotz;

I just wanted to say, I really like your avatar. <_<

Received the following e-mail for Steven Randall of NGS:

Mr. Rotz,

Thank you for your interest in this great project.

The marker in St Louis is being set by the St Louis Chapter of the Missouri Profesional Land Surveyors Asscociation. They await a warmer day to set this marker, so the exact date is not clear. The monument dedication however is Saturday, March 13 at 1:00pm. Dave Doyle has indicated he would be willing to give the dedication speech. The site is the Missouri Historical Museum in Forest Park. At that time, the National Signature Event for the Louis and Clark Bicentinnial, which goes on from March 10-14, will be in full swing as you probably know already. There is a fantastic exhibit at the museum with many Lewis and Clark artifacts. The 12 inch Commemorative disk is already in St. Louis, and any info on the setting of the marker should be directed to Mr. Brian Fischer, (bfischer@colestl.com) or William Hassall (wshass@stlmsd.com).

Thanks again for your interest,

Steve Randall

I am goona be there whatever it takes...........

This is a once in a Lifetime opportunity,there will never be a 200th again.

I have a minature version(Coin) of the disc that I plan on having there.

You may still be able to get them at the Arch in St. Louis.

I got a couple of Travel bugs around the area as well,The Lewis and Clark Bug.

Louisiana Purchase bug,and a few Geocoins on order to go as well.

I am goona be there whatever it takes...........

We'd be glad to see you, and anyone else who can get there!

Currently RogBarn, Happycycler and myself are planning to meet and also hopefully do some benchmarking together. We could have a real "event" of our own after the ceremony. ;)

I had thought of actually posting it as an event, but I don't think I could get it approved since it actually has nothing to do with geocaching.

Perhaps Tennessee Geocacher would give his opinion, and if it's favorable, could put me in touch with the St. Louis area cache approver.

Edited by gnbrotz

I have been working on an idea dealing with Lewis and Clark and you folks watching this thread have an interest and knowledge that might be useful. I have been a big historical fan of the Lewis and Clark story for a long time. What I have found is that there is a lot to these men then just the expedition.

I had an idea for a virtual cache near a tomb that is located on private property. The tomb is significant as it is the final resting place of Williams wife and child. It is also interesting as the land owner was buried standing up in the same tomb. My local approver, rightfully, shot down the virtual cache idea. The virtual was going to be at the roadside marker and require the logger to locate info before logging. I have given up on that idea. I am now thinking about making this either part of a multi or a micro. A traditional would not work here. There are several other pieces to the Lewis and Clark tail that could be incorporated into a large area multi. Example: Lewis's cousin who was a famous explorer in his own right is also buried within a few miles.

To keep this on topic there is a benchmark nearby as well. It is located near the edge of the former plantation (where the tomb was buit) property line. I checked it out years ago but I am planning on visiting and logging it soon.

If anyone is interested or has ideas please give me a shout.

docwalker@doc-walker.com

Doc