Benchmark hunting is now open :)

iryshe

I'm kinda confused.

I read Jeremy's note of June 4 about opening these forums. I read that note on June 4 and it was the first time I'd seen the forum.

But then I see a bunch of messages from folks dated weeks ago.

How'd that happen?

Jamie

As a Charter Member (with preference to receive e-mail notifications) you should have been notified of this new feature and linked to the area (including this forum) where you could "test-drive" it for yourself.

I received such a notification, though I have yet to log my first benchmark.

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

As a Charter Member you should have been notified of this new feature and linked to the area (including this forum) where you could "test-drive" it for yourself

I got the email with the link, but I didn't see the forums.

In any case... I can see it now. I may have to give this a try.

So you're saying there's no box with trinkets when I get there? icon_wink.gif

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

As a Charter Member you should have been notified of this new feature and linked to the area (including this forum) where you could "test-drive" it for yourself

I got the email with the link, but I didn't see the forums.

In any case... I can see it now. I may have to give this a try.

So you're saying there's no box with trinkets when I get there? icon_wink.gif

Jamie

Loving this "Benchmark" thing, here in Yuma, AZ regular caches are few and far between in this area --- a lot of traveling to get in to any rich areas (San Diego,Phoenix, etc.). Now with this new sport / game I'll be busy all summer, my first search gave me 111 stations with in a 10 mile radius of my place --- out early, done by noon --- temps will soon be in the 110's + icon_rolleyes.gif

Mzee --- The Seeker!

Loving this "Benchmark" thing, here in Yuma, AZ regular caches are few and far between in this area --- a lot of traveling to get in to any rich areas (San Diego,Phoenix, etc.). Now with this new sport / game I'll be busy all summer, my first search gave me 111 stations with in a 10 mile radius of my place --- out early, done by noon --- temps will soon be in the 110's + icon_rolleyes.gif

Mzee --- The Seeker!

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

So when are our benchmark find counts going to be viewable from our profile page?

exactly what i was wondering. Im very interested in this because after you find most of the chaches in your area, whats left to do? This amazes me, i searched and boom, theres a hundred of these things just within a 10 mile radius of my house. In fact there was one about 100 feet from my house!

another question though, when i checked this out first, i was confused by the reports and such, ive figured it out now, but before i figured out what a recovery log was, i went out and wondered where the one right near my house had gone to. Im assuming a "find" is finding the actual marker itself? Because the post that the marker sat on is still there.

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

Thanks a lot ... I've done some of these hunts when there weren't local caches available ... actually a lot of fun. Especially the ones that haven't been found in a while ... sometimes they don't even exist anymore ... but hey, it's a hunt. There doesn't have to be a successful conclusion to be a successful hunt.

So again thanks for this interesting spin ... it is really easier than searching the offical data base ... ----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

[This message was edited by Hawk-eye on June 07, 2002 at 09:45 PM.]

Hello everyone, Im here to promote, and to thank you for, your interest in Land Surveying.

Just to clarify the origin of the markers you are searching for, they have been set by numerous government agencies, including both NGS & USGS, for many purposes. The term "Benchmark", as used here, is a generic term for any kind of marker, most often a brass cap mounted in concrete. Technically, a benchmark is a point with a specific elevation above sea level, from which the elevations of roads, buildings and other structures in the area are determined. However, the brass caps you find may be any of the following:

Triangulation Stations

Triangulation reference marks

Azimuth marks

Township corners

Section corners

Quarter section corners

Government property corners

Right of way markers

Highway station markers

GPS markers

Local control traverse points

Utility company markers

For further information on Land Surveying, please feel free to visit us at rpls.com and ask any questions you may have.