AT Benchmarks

roasteroo

Has any one found any of these cool benchmarks. Cant find a data base they are in. I found this one as a kid, about 9 years old, and revisited it during a cache hunt. It about .5 mile from my house on the NJ/NY border along the AT. If some one has pictures and locations to share here with others that would be really cool.

This summer on an extended driving trip, I drove to the top of Mt. greylock in western Mass. There is a mark on the sidewalk on the way to the Vets monument on top of Greylock. Postion is appox. N42.63728 W73.16586 at 3493 ft. This is the location of the Vets monument, not the mark. It's about 100 ft SW of the monument.

I was on and off the trail from Maine to Virginia and I found several.

found this benchmark while caching in Boonsboro but can't find it in the benchmarks to log it.The cords to the cache are N39 29.082 WO77 37.136 The bechmark has 404 MD 3 on it with an A that has a T inside the A.It is located behind the Dahlgren Chapel.Any help would be great

BigRedCliff,

The marker you found is actually a cadastral (property) survey marker on the Exterior Corridor Boundary of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. The stamping indicates that it is marker number 3 on Segment 404 in the State of Maryland. Only very few of these marks have been included in the NSRS (National Spatial Reference System), maintained by NGS. Here is one in Vermont.

61fa47b3-a4dc-43a7-a6fb-4f112cbcc37a.jpg