Oregon 300 vs 450

My father is considering purchasing an Oregon 300 or 450.

The 300 and 450 have the same MSRP on Garmin's site, and "street price" for the 450 seems lower ($350 on Amazon, no discount from MSRP for the 300. In general, Garmin seems to be doing "street price" enforcement as it is rare to see units sell for less than MSRP now.)

Based on published specs, it seems that there is nothing about the 300 that the 450 doesn't match or exceed - what am I missing? The 450 has to have some sort of disadvantage to be selling for the same/cheaper price, or is it just that Garmin hasn't bothered to discount the 300 prior to a discontinuation?

Based on published specs, it seems that there is nothing about the 300 that the 450 doesn't match or exceed - what am I missing? The 450 has to have some sort of disadvantage to be selling for the same/cheaper price, or is it just that Garmin hasn't bothered to discount the 300 prior to a discontinuation?

For any number of reasons, the 450 is to be preferred to the 300 - not just for the added features, but for the readability of the screen. Make no mistake about it - there are retailers that still have a few 300's around at less than the price of the 450, too, but the difference for the 450 is well worth it. It is, as you gathered, a superset of the 300, and lacks nothing that a 300 offers.

Also - be aware that apart from Amazon (and many eBay auctions), there's currently a $50 rebate on 450s and the rest of the Oregon/Dakota line directly from Garmin. It's a good time to buy. "(Offer is valid for purchases made between April 1, 2010 and June 20, 2010. Postmark deadline is July 20, 2010.)" http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/2010/03...bate-offer.html

Also note that you may not wish to spend the additional $ for the 450T model since there are quite a number of resources for good, free maps for the 450.

Go 450. The tri-axis compass, 5000 cache capacity and the better screen make it worth it. I ended up selling my 300 and upgrading to a 450 and made $20 off the deal.

Beware though, you can't use the $50 rebate with a purchase Amazon. I bought my 450 from

http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/Shop/Contro...id/0/rid/134139

but they are currently sold out and I don't know if they will be receiving anymore right now.

For any number of reasons, the 450 is to be preferred to the 300 - not just for the added features, but for the readability of the screen. Make no mistake about it - there are retailers that still have a few 300's around at less than the price of the 450, too, but the difference for the 450 is well worth it. It is, as you gathered, a superset of the 300, and lacks nothing that a 300 offers.

Also - be aware that apart from Amazon (and many eBay auctions), there's currently a $50 rebate on 450s and the rest of the Oregon/Dakota line directly from Garmin. It's a good time to buy. "(Offer is valid for purchases made between April 1, 2010 and June 20, 2010. Postmark deadline is July 20, 2010.)" http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/2010/03...bate-offer.html

Also note that you may not wish to spend the additional $ for the 450T model since there are quite a number of resources for good, free maps for the 450.

Thanks for the info.

I agree on NOT wanting the T variant - keep in mind I'm an Oregon 300 owner and was going to reccommend the 300 to my father, but seeing the 450 made me think. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact that they are the same price, one would think that Garmin would sell the "less featured" unit for less money.

Looks like I'll reccommend the 450 to him. The rebate seems to be for about the same amount of discount as Amazon offers. There are other vendors selling for under $400, however they're all smaller noname ones I don't necessarily trust, and in fact I see names (like Abe's of Maine) of vendors I know specifically to avoid.

Well I must admit I am bummered! I didn't know that the 50$ rebate WASN'T available when bought from Amazon. It doesn't say it anywhere on the rebate form. It just says "bought in new condition" , and I bought it direct from Amazon and not resellers. I have sent in my rebate form with my fingers crossed.

Where did you read about the rebate not available form Amazon?

Thanks

The bit about Not Amazon is spelled out in the box o' text on the rebate form, in fine print under Terms and Conditions.

Sorry you jumped a little too fast.

I had to work a bit to put together the scratch to buy mine and made certain I have everything covered as the $50 will be welcome upon arrival.

The bit about Not Amazon is spelled out in the box o' text on the rebate form, in fine print under Terms and Conditions.

Sorry you jumped a little too fast.

I had to work a bit to put together the scratch to buy mine and made certain I have everything covered as the $50 will be welcome upon arrival.

Ahh SHOOT! Dam I guess I did jump the gun, frick!

Thanx for the info :D

- keep in mind I'm an Oregon 300 owner and was going to reccommend the 300 to my father, but seeing the 450 made me think.

Just don't unbox it and turn it on out in the daylight before you give it to him. He might accidentally wind up with the 300 if you do.

Actually because I'm likely to use my unit more than he will use his, we've already been talking about possibly making arrangements for me to get the "newer" unit and he'll buy my "older" unit from me. Of course, given that retail pricing is wacky right now for the 300, it would be difficult to assess what a fair price for the "older" one would be.

He lives 200 miles away so would likely order the new unit directly to my parents', and might even use that on the fishing trip he's primarily ordering it for.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-450.html

They're a very reputable site. I have ordered from them before and would in a heart beat.

I'm glad to hear that! I just ordered a 450 from them oer the weekend, it shipped yesterday, should be here tomorrow! Can't wait to play with the new toy.

On a side note, I just sent my Rino 530hcx back to Garmin for repair yesterday :D.

can you use the rebate at gpscity

They're a very reputable site. I have ordered from them before and would in a heart beat.

I'm glad to hear that! I just ordered a 450 from them oer the weekend, it shipped yesterday, should be here tomorrow! Can't wait to play with the new toy.

On a side note, I just sent my Rino 530hcx back to Garmin for repair yesterday :D.

Yes

On a side note, I just sent my Rino 530hcx back to Garmin for repair yesterday :).

Yes...it says it right there on the product page.