Premium Membership?

flyballmom

I am new to geocaching and have a question. I am using a Garmin 12 that works just fine and was free to me. However, it does not have the ability to be downloaded to. (I dont have the cables). My question is this: Is it still wothwhile to become a PM? What can I do with the PQ's without being able to download them? Any advice will be helpful.

I can think of several reasons to go "Premium" even in the situation you are in. Aside from the problem downloading to your GPSr.

Premium membership is a way of supporting the site, and the time and effort it takes to make it run smoothly.

Premium membership also allow you the benefit of using PQ's to your advantage even if you have to load them manually. You can filter the searched cache list to include or exclude caches by type, size, distance, haven't been found, have travel bugs listed, and on and on. This filtering tool is valuable once you get the hang of it and its really pretty simple!!. You can also filter for certain "attributes" such as nearby parking, nearby drinking water, restrooms, winter access, whether there are ticks, poisonous plants, snakes, ect!

I find myself using PQs more and more to plan out caching outings.

Your PQ's are viewable in list form, and also on Google Maps, from the "My Pocket Queries" page.

Premium membership also allows you to view caches placed with a "premium members only" attribute. You can still view them if you go through the process of "backdooring" them, but having the PM simplifies it.

I think just supporting (financially) the site is money well spent!! Hey... thirty bucks for hours of fun is a pretty cheap date!!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I completely agree with NeecesandNephews. What other form of entertainment will give you the same benefits of geocaching for $30.00. For a year!!

A couple of DVD's will cost that much for a few hrs of enjoyment. ONE family night at the movies could cost that much. Most families probably wouldn't think twice about spending that amount for a couple of McDonalds meals for 4.

When you purchase a premium membership you're not only getting the benefits of membership itself as listed above, you're also helping others to discover and enjoy a unique way to get outdoors, discover places you never knew existed, be more physically active, and perhaps spend less time planted in front of a TV.