Satmap vs Garmin

Looking at purchasing my first proper GPS Handheld but im not 100% at what to buy.

I have been looking at either the Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin Oregon 400 or Satmap Active 10.

I want the system for general walking/hiking across GB, mainly England and Scotland

Geocaching, so a friendly/paperless system would be nice

Occasional use abroad, Holidaying in Europe/Scandinavia

Im in the military so accasional use when away with work, not essential though.

Mapping wise i prefer the 1:25000 os maps which is what im used to.

Obvious considerations into ease of use, size of screen, functions, reliability, rang and price of maps etc etc

Many thanks for any input or advice for my iminent purchase.

Jen+dave

Looking at purchasing my first proper GPS Handheld but im not 100% at what to buy.

I have been looking at either the Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin Oregon 400 or Satmap Active 10.

I want the system for general walking/hiking across GB, mainly England and Scotland

Geocaching, so a friendly/paperless system would be nice

Occasional use abroad, Holidaying in Europe/Scandinavia

Im in the military so accasional use when away with work, not essential though.

Mapping wise i prefer the 1:25000 os maps which is what im used to.

Obvious considerations into ease of use, size of screen, functions, reliability, rang and price of maps etc etc

Many thanks for any input or advice for my iminent purchase.

Jen+dave

Of the three you listed I'd look at the Satmap and one you didn't list, the Twonav GPSr's, especially the Adventura.

http://www.twonav.com/?op=0〈=0en&

Ask questions of those who own them and try to get them in your hands if you can. We don't have them in the states so only you can really make this call from first hand experience.

Best of luck!

Be safe.

N

You can get more maps and even free maps for the Garmins.

The Satmap screen is larger and brighter, more features like are included with the Satmap, like a really good nightvision mode in redlight.

The service is better with Satmap, cause they offer a service flatrate for a new housing if you dropped it accidently. So you don't need to worry about scratches on the plastic parts.

For England, you get the same maps for Satmap as you get for Garmin - the O.S. raster maps, only the garmin version can do autorouting on streets. There is a vector streetmap included. Whole England cost you £199 for both systems.

You have to decide if you prefer a small handy unit or a big one with a big screen.

For Garmins Discoverer maps, the Oregon has a better screen size.

On the Dakota, the maps doesn't look that good.

On the pro-side, the Dakota is a little bit smaller, lighter, batteries last longer and it is cheaper.

The more maps you want, a Satmap will be more expensive.

Have had a Garmin 60CS, Colorado 300, Oregon 300 and now a Satmap Active 10 plus.

Every unit had its positives and all did their job well.

The Garmins I've had were all good - Loved my 60cs, my first ever hand held and introduced me to Geocaching. Now discontinued.

Colorado 300 and Oregon 300 - paperless geocaching, all bells and whistles, lovely bits of kit - But poor screen brightness and a small screen that doesn't do justice the Garmin OS Discover mapping.

Satmap Active 10 - Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the garmin e.g No autorouting. It does paperless Geocaching but no field notes. but the large, bright screen and access to UK / European mapping eg French ISGN make it a winner for me.

I would recommend the Active 10, but do try and get a look and feel for all the options out there.

Edited by sexybaldyguy

Thanks to everyone for your replies

Ive been away for a few days but its good to hear all your points.

Ive only had the units in hand in a shop so not been able to test them.

One main question i have now is does anyone find caching a problem with the 1:50000 maps as im used to the 1:25000 maps that ive used for years (os paper)

Thanks to everyone for your replies

Ive been away for a few days but its good to hear all your points.

Ive only had the units in hand in a shop so not been able to test them.

One main question i have now is does anyone find caching a problem with the 1:50000 maps as im used to the 1:25000 maps that ive used for years (os paper)

Hi I started out caching withe the whole of UK 1:50000 and had no problems with it the maps were alright to use but then I treat myself to the whole of Cumbria 1:25000 and yes reading the map is slightly better Not twice as good though! Finding a geocache is no easier finding a right of way is a bit easier!