Apisphere Geomate Jr. Geocaching Handheld GPS - Is it any good?

I am looking into getting a Apisphere Geomate Jr. Geocaching Handheld GPS to supplement my iphones gps since it is completely inaccurate. How accurate is this model? I am not concered about extras or anything like that. I just want a gps that I can plug the coodinates into and when it says i'm 3ft away I want to be 3 ft. away. Not like the iphone that will jump from 5ft to 50ft even if i havent moved. it's so annoying! If this is not going to do that then what is a basic, cheap model that will?

The Geomate Jr is a specialty device, you can't key coordinates into it, it comes "pre loaded" with approx 1/4 million Geocaches when you buy it.

If a destination/coordinate you are trying to get to isn't already pre-programmed into the Geomate Jr then it won't be of any help to you..

Edited by NordicMan
I just want a gps that I can plug the coodinates into and when it says i'm 3ft away I want to be 3 ft. away.
Then you will be disappointed with every consumer GPS in existence. And even more disappointed when you discover that the coordinates posted have a degree of error in them as a result, so even when you think you're right on top of the cache, you probably aren't.

I think you might be very happy with the Geomate Junior. I used one for a while before I upgraded to a Garmin, but I was very impressed with its accuracy. Since you say that you already use an iphone to get close to the cache, you already have the capability of going paperless.

While you can't load the Geomate with custom coordinates, you can preload with all the traditional geocaches in either the eastern or western half of the US. When you turn it on, it lists the 20 caches closest to you. Since you already got close with the iphone, the cache you want will probably be the first one on the list. It will then give you the direction and distance to the cache. Sounds like a good combo to me.

The one downside that I see is that the Geomate only lists traditional caches. If you're looking for other kinds, you're out of luck.

:D I think it's a good choice. We cache with a Garmin OR and love it, but if we didn't plan on caching and have some time, we will grape the iPhone and geometer. My wife carries both in her purse. The iPhone gives you all the info and ability to log the cache on the go, and the geomate will do a grate job of finding the cache. We have found it to be as accurate as the OR. The only problem is that the caches are preloaded, and no "premium" caches. I wouldn't want the geometer to be my only device, but it works great with the iPhone.

I carry mine for impromptu caching and it performs like a champ. Recently returned from the Baker, Cal. Primm Nevada area and was out of P.Q. range - fired up geo and Yowwwwzer, caches were found.

There are a few threads on this unit and my review is on one of them. I feel just as strongly about it now as I did at it's initial release.

Incidentally, I have dedicated GPS units and the iPhone as well, however, Geo.Jr. fills a niche. Biggest pluses become evident when you are out of PQ range and or out of cell service areas.

Have a great day.

I am looking into getting a Apisphere Geomate Jr. Geocaching Handheld GPS to supplement my iphones gps since it is completely inaccurate. How accurate is this model? I am not concered about extras or anything like that. I just want a gps that I can plug the coodinates into and when it says i'm 3ft away I want to be 3 ft. away. Not like the iphone that will jump from 5ft to 50ft even if i havent moved. it's so annoying! If this is not going to do that then what is a basic, cheap model that will?

I started geocaching a little less than a year ago. I was spending hours looking for caches and actually enjoying it. Now I don't feel the same urgency but do a little here and a little there when I am out and about. The Geomate fills the bill for doing that. I prefer my Geomate over the Garmin e-trex because I don't have to manually load the data. It is also a quick grab and go which I like. I have well over a hundred caches attributed the the Geomate Jr. Works great