Apps for Android?

Hi All

Can somebody tell me the "approved" apps for my Android phone. I have posted on the UK forum and it seems most cachers use the "unmentionable one"! So, with the following in mind can you tell me my best options:

I have an unlimited data package

I still want to use my GPSr

I want to search at my current location with my phone (i don't always no postcodes/zips of locations) for the nearest caches

Finally, I hear Groundspeak are designing an app for Android? When's the ETA?

Thanks

Munch

Hi All

Can somebody tell me the "approved" apps for my Android phone. I have posted on the UK forum and it seems most cachers use the "unmentionable one"! So, with the following in mind can you tell me my best options:

I want to search at my current location with my phone (i don't always no postcodes/zips of locations) for the nearest caches

Thanks

Munch

Hi All

Thanks

Munch

The unmentionable and UNAPPROVED app they are talking about is basically any Android app in existence because Groundspeak hasn't officially released their own app for the Android OS yet. I kind of understand why the remark them out but I don't agree with it. Obviously cachers have been searching and searching for the best app for Android and since Groundspeak hasn't released theirs they're preventing us from talking about any of the others too. Groundspeak, [content removed] If you're not going to release something soon then at least let us talk about other useful apps that everyone using Android would be interested in and can actually use. If yours is better in the end then it's a win for everyone but preventing us from talking about other apps if ridiculous.

[Edited by moderator to remove disrespectful potty language. Do not post any more messages like that.]

Edited by Keystone

The unmentionable and UNAPPROVED app they are talking about is basically any Android app in existence because Groundspeak hasn't officially released their own app for the Android OS yet. I kind of understand why the remark them out but I don't agree with it. Obviously cachers have been searching and searching for the best app for Android and since Groundspeak hasn't released theirs they're preventing us from talking about any of the others too. Groundspeak, [removed] If you're not going to release something soon then at least let us talk about other useful apps that everyone using Android would be interested in and can actually use. If yours is better in the end then it's a win for everyone but preventing us from talking about other apps if ridiculous.

Actually they don't want to encourage members to use apps that access GC.com servers without authorization. Most of the apps in the Market do just that. Those using apps that do may have their accounts frozen.

I don't know how they all function, but I bought one that uses GPX files like a stand alone GPSr. I doubt they have any issues with its mention here in the forums. Its Georg, pretty neat how I can use Google maps in satellite and 3D topo.

Edited by Keystone

Leatherman is correct. An app that uses GPX files is fine. Talk about Geobeagle and CacheMate all you want.

There is a grand total of ONE app which violates the TOU in such a clear manner that Groundspeak has determined that its forums cannot be used to promote it. Posters need to respect this. At the very least, posters should accurately portray the facts.

I don't know how they all function, but I bought one that uses GPX files like a stand alone GPSr. I doubt they have any issues with its mention here in the forums. Its Georg, pretty neat how I can use Google maps in satellite and 3D topo.

yes I bought the app "GeOrg - Geocaching Organizer" in the android market too.

I´m not missing much features to get a great online or (complete) offline geocaching-advanture.

- it uses your build-in compass to show the direction you are facing right on the map

- it supports the most common maps (Google Maps, Osmarender, Mapnik, Cycle, Satelite-view...)

- incl. onroad (turn-by-turn) and offroad navigation

- awesome 3D-compass view

- supports own offline-titlemaps

- you can add waypoints to caches or just via the map

- you can import your whole gpx-collections or pocket query via gpx-file or as a zip-file (even using e-mail attachment)

- and some more features like sovers i don´t really use

Here are some screens:

details.pngmap_target.png

Edited by TheHardtechnoFamily

I don't know about the Android but I used GeoNavigator from Trimble for some time. It was real handy if I was going someplace outside currently loaded PQ's area. It queries the site and shows the closest cache. Has street and TOPO maps views.

Also leaves a field not that you have found or not found the cache on GC site.

I am guessing the banned one scraps the website which is why it is banned. If that is true than users risk having their account locked, a risk I don't want to take.

Any comments from Keystone on if that is why it is banned.

This one is OK???

GeOrg - Geocaching Organizer

This one is OK???

It´s 100% fine - there was a implementation to download the gpx-file from gc.com but noone from gc.com answered his mail where he was asking about if it´s ok...so he removed it to be save. Can be read on the homepage:

"We even implemented in-application queries for geocaches from Groundspeak’s website to display them in lists and maps. Unfortunately the emails we sent to Groundspeak in order to get a statement from them about how they judge this functionality considering their sites Terms of Use were never answered. "

You have to upload or email gpx-containers/pocket querys into the georg local db.

This one is OK???

there was a implementation to download the gpx-file from gc.com but noone from gc.com answered his mail where he was asking about if it´s ok...so he removed it to be save.

I downloaded my GPX using the phone browser. Doesn't even have to be unzipped. Used my file manager to move it to the Georg database and loaded it just fine.

Leaning more and more to the droid.

I don't think they would have a problem with downloading the GPX file as long as the user was a premium member. You don't get access to GPX with non-premium. There big issue is scrapping the site.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Leaning more and more to the droid.

I don't think they would have a problem with downloading the GPX file as long as the user was a premium member. You don't get access to GPX with non-premium. There big issue is scrapping the site.

i don´t think they see it this way. They don´t like it either you have a premium or not...

As far as i know (and i´m pretty sure) there is no way to get a gpx-file without a premium account. But you can view everything that can be viewed using the webpage with a gpx-style interface...so there´s actually no need to get the gpx i think...? Maybe that´s the fact they don´t like.

Edited by TheHardtechnoFamily
But you can view everything that can be viewed using the webpage with a gpx-style interface...so there´s actually no need to get the gpx i think...? Maybe that´s the fact they don´t like.

You are right. You can view all the info and print it and enter the info by hand or download the loc file. Getting the GPX is just so much more convenient.

When you consider that you can get that level of access w/o charge it is actually pretty amazing. I don't know many business' that give away info for free.

WoW! My Droid failed me yesterday in the drizzly Western WA weather. It didn't get a lock the entire 40 minutes I was driving to a caching location. It was the Georg app I'm sure. When I opened Google Maps it locked on right away. I'm thinking Georg doesn't use the celltower assistance Google Maps does.

any word on when the offical app is popping up? says Q2 of 2010 and we are just about through Q2. I just got rid of my Iphone and payed 10 bucks for that app, loved it but hated the IPhone for other stuff. All the Geocache apps out that i tried for free I didnt like so now i have cached in about a month :) Anyways, there a way to sign up for the beta or any word on its release looking forward to it.

Leatherman is correct. An app that uses GPX files is fine. Talk about Geobeagle and CacheMate all you want.

Funny that GeoBeagle is "approved" by our wonderful moderators. Ever read the application description for GeoBeagle when downloading it from the market?

And I quote,

"Geocaching is the game of finding objects craftily hidden in the real world. GeoBeagle is most useful with downloaded caches; for direct integration use Geobeagle with "Find Geocaches", or try "<censored app name>".

GeoBeagle is free and open source! Please email with any questions."

WOW, GeoBeagle promotes the app that's hated so much around here. And GC.com promotes to some extent the use of GeoBeagle. What a mess around here!

Sounds like our moderator(s) need to get out the censorship marker and get to work!!!

Funny that GeoBeagle is "approved" by our wonderful moderators. Ever read the application description for GeoBeagle when downloading it from the market?

And I quote,

"Geocaching is the game of finding objects craftily hidden in the real world. GeoBeagle is most useful with downloaded caches; for direct integration use Geobeagle with "Find Geocaches", or try "<censored app name>".

GeoBeagle is free and open source! Please email with any questions."

WOW, GeoBeagle promotes the app that's hated so much around here. And GC.com promotes to some extent the use of GeoBeagle. What a mess around here!

Sounds like our moderator(s) need to get out the censorship marker and get to work!!!

Its a mystery to me why "Find Geocaches" is OK here. It is not free so maybe they pay for the approval. It sounds worse than the Voldemort app that is not approved. It is not "censorship" in my opinion. They simply are not advertising a future competitor, like any other business. The iPhone app gets a competitive edge by giving unlimited PQs for live updates. Someone came up with a brilliant better method, in my opinion, for live caching. It will be interesting to see what the official app does for live caching. Edited by John E Cache

I have no doubt that when Groundspeak releases their version it will kick the but of all other apps (=

In the beginning for the iphone there were apps that work fairly but when Groundspeak relised theirs it kicked a** sure it has it flaws but still way better in all asspect :)

I have no doubt that when Groundspeak releases their version it will kick the but of all other apps (=

In the beginning for the iphone there were apps that work fairly but when Groundspeak relised theirs it kicked a** sure it has it flaws but still way better in all asspect :)

And why do you think it was so much better than other apps? Actually, I find the app confusing and convoluted compared to "good" iPhone apps. Their only competitive advantage is live access to their databases through a hidden API which they don't allow other developers to do.

Groundspeak certainly doesn't have a lock on the best programmers in the world, but they do have control on the primary reason why someone would buy their app over others. So their Android app better be good because you have no other choice for live access other than getting apps that violate the TOU.

Check out Geohunter - it's developed from Geobeagle but has additional functionality. As an offlince caching app, I think it's better than most others - allows GPX/LOC/ZIP import, many caches (i have 5000 loaded) and a basic but decent compass.

There is a grand total of ONE app which violates the TOU in such a clear manner that Groundspeak has determined that its forums cannot be used to promote it. Posters need to respect this. At the very least, posters should accurately portray the facts.

Is there anyway to get GPX files without paying for membership?

I want to test Geobeagle with a gpx file but don't want to shell out a years membership and find that the program doesn't work for me.

I want to test Geobeagle with a gpx file but don't want to shell out a years membership and find that the program doesn't work for me.

sure, you need "Gsak" for our pc. You can load some .loc files in it a save this database as a .gpx file.

sure, you need "Gsak" for our pc. You can load some .loc files in it a save this database as a .gpx file.

This method will still only give you the info contained in the .loc files. Not much help if trying to evaluate the value of the info in the .gpx file. I think the answer is no.

This method will still only give you the info contained in the .loc files. Not much help if trying to evaluate the value of the info in the .gpx file. I think the answer is no.

The question is, what does he want to test with the gpx exactly? Of course there are only the coorinates in it...but every other information like difficulty, details/description, hints etc. can easily be added in gsak by hand too. Just copy and paste the information you find on the cache-site. I used to make my gpx-files like this while i didn´t had a premium account.