Mount Adams climb

combatnurse2003

All,

I am interested in once again climbing the southside of Mt Adams. I did it about a decade ago solo. I've climbed Rainier with a friend (no guide service), Baker, and Hood 3-4 times. The goal last time was "Because it was there". This time, it's caching.

The route I have in mind is the South Spur. It is non-technical, but as with all climbing, ice ax and crampons are needed. Also recommended, so we'll bring it, is a rope, and with it, a required harness. I can teach, but in the end, my life and yours is on the end of the rope. If any one of us don't feel comfortable, we won't go.

The easy part is, it is a non-technical walk up; no ice climbing, heavy glacier travel, etc. Mule trains made this ascent in the past, so we can. It's a 6-8 hour trip from parking for those who are fit.

The plan would be to come in the day before via 8040/500 to the Cold Springs Campground, hike to about 9000' and camp at the Lunch Counter. This will give everyone an idea of what to expect and whether they want to continue to the summit at ~12,300. We'd leave a little after midnight to ensure we are at the summit for sunrise and on the way down before the snow gets too soft and slushy. Back at parking by 1-2pm.

I'd prefer to do it during the week when there are less people on the mountian.

Looking to do this in the first half of July, so let me know if you are interested. Other obvious equipment includes sleeping gear, pack, food, water, the ten essentials, etc. You can email me at combatnurse2003@yahoo.com. Please put MOUNT ADAMS on the subject line.

I look forward from hearing from you all,

Michael, aka combatnurse2003

Semi interested, but not prepared for it, gear wise. Interested to see how ya'll do though :D

Ditto, or physical-wise, right now. ;) Until mid-July, it's all about getting ready for GeoWoodstock and then recovering from it. Oh, and getting ready for the Aix and Pains climb on July 17.

Edited by hydnsek