Request from a newer cacher

A cacher was looking for one of my caches. It is a little bit of a tricky hide, it is in plain sight though. He/she couldn't find it and requested that I verify it was there and email him/her.

This cache was on my way home from work so I checked and email him/her to let them know it was there.

Usually I look quite a while, come back and look again. I will put it on my watchlist to see if there are other DNF's or finds. Read the logs for clues. I don't know if this person did that.

The thing that get me is they wanted me to make sure it was there for them, but they never emailed back to say thanks. Is that too much to ask.

Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask.

I would recommend that instead of emailing them back that you checked it for them that you email back and request they post a DNF.

Then once they post a DNF, feel free to go verify and post a note on the cache.

That way, other cachers know you checked it AND your reviewer knows you checked it as well if a question arises.

*** This post contains no intentional snarky or sarcastic comments. It is intended in its entirety to be useful and positive in nature.

The guy DNF'd it. I'd leave it at that. I may not even respond to it. I certainly wouldn't email them at their convenience just to inform that your cache has been verified to be in place for them.

BTW, I figured they'd posted a DNF log asking for it to be verified. If not, they should. And when I checked the cache, I'd post a not on the cache page saying I verified that it is there. They can read my note on the cache page if they are interested.

Edited by simpjkee

Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask.

I would recommend that instead of emailing them back that you checked it for them that you email back and request they post a DNF.

Then once they post a DNF, feel free to go verify and post a note on the cache.

That way, other cachers know you checked it AND your reviewer knows you checked it as well if a question arises.

*** This post contains no intentional snarky or sarcastic comments. It is intended in its entirety to be useful and positive in nature.

They did post a DNF. It was the first DNF for that cache in a while. Since it was on my way, I wanted to make sure before I told them it was where it was supposed to be.

I know if I email for help. I make sure I send a response immediately, even if I don't intend to do that cache for a while.

I don't think I would run out of my way to check, just for them. They looked and don't even have the fortitude to post a DNF.

It comes back the the DNF argument. I would check after 2/3 DNF posts, but not for one character asking me to check for him/her to make sure it's still there for them. Sounds like they want to play a ME, MYSELF & I game.

**** Yes, I intended it to sound sarcastic. That's the way I am! :unsure:

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

1. I will not run out and check on a cache if one person cannot find it, especially if it is a tricky hide. I'll wait until there are several DNFs or until it is convenient for me to check.

2. If I get a request from a new cacher to help them find it, by giving constructive criticism, not a spoiler, and it is convenient, I'll drive over and help (or at least talk them through it on the phone).

3. As far as someone thanking me ... I assume they are appreciative and would rather not get an e-mail saying thanks. Reading the thanks interrupts what I'm doing, and I don't know it is just "thanks" until I read it. I'd rather just read the important ones. ... Call me a curmudgeon.

Given the facts as we know them, I think that I would probably have emailed them and simply told them that I suspected that the cache was still there, that I don't check up on it after every single DNF, and probably would have either provided them with a hint, or asked if they wanted a hint.

However, you did check up on it, and just because they didn't explicitly thank you doesn't mean that you didn't grow in stature as a geocacher in their minds.

I think a response of some kind is deserved since you did kind of go out of your way for them.

Recently (after a long absence from caching) I was out on a trip searching for a micro. I found what I thought was the cache, signed the log, but then on the drive home remembered that the container said 'Letterbox' on it and not the name of the cache.

I did not log a DNF or a find, rather emailing the owner of the cache I was searching for and asking the simple question; did I find it or did I not? He replied quickly and let me know I had not found the cache, so I logged a DNF vowing to make it back out there.

At the end of the day though he was courteous enough to let me know one way or another, and I appreciated it. I thanked him in an email response and that was that - because of his actions I'll keep an eye out for his hides.

i usually contact a CO only on rare occasions. If i have looked *thoroughly* i'll do a DNF. If Ive looked *several times* I'll log a Needs maintenance. I may also send the CO a Pm describing exactly where /how i looked. If there's any unusual activity at GZ i'll note that also. For instance, I went to one site where there was fresh construction activity. Described that I had looked all around the tree Co thanked me, went to check it out and took it offline as it was MIA. HOWEVER, also advised me the hide was in the rocks 30 feet away!!! bottom line, i ALWAYS assume in my postings that its there, whether i believe that or not. We always will encounter 5/5 hides that we find quickly. We will also encounter 1/1s that we DNF. its just the nature of the game.

A cacher was looking for one of my caches. It is a little bit of a tricky hide, it is in plain sight though. He/she couldn't find it and requested that I verify it was there and email him/her.

This cache was on my way home from work so I checked and email him/her to let them know it was there.

Usually I look quite a while, come back and look again. I will put it on my watchlist to see if there are other DNF's or finds. Read the logs for clues. I don't know if this person did that.

The thing that get me is they wanted me to make sure it was there for them, but they never emailed back to say thanks. Is that too much to ask.

The way I understand it, the cachers posted a DNF and then emailed you to check if the cache was still there. Since it was convenient enough, you did that and emailed that it was. Now, you are a little miffed that they did not thank you for your extra effort. Well, that's understandable. It would have been very nice of them to acknowledge your kindness either in their log or by email, but they didn't think to do that. Oh well. Sometimes nice actions are not rewarded or acknowledged. I imagine, however, that you won't be so quick to respond to these cachers' future requests.