Bottle Cap Micro Container

A few months ago, there was a thread about making micro containers from two bottle caps and the neck of a soda bottle. I made like 20 of them after I finally figured out the instructions. Now, I decided to make an instructable on it in order to clarify how to make them. Check it out!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Micro-Geocache-Container/

As you can see, I attributed the idea to Odie442, who sent me the instructions by email.

Very nice, clear instructions.

*** This post was intended as an encouragement.

I agree. Gotta make me some of those one of these days.

*** This post was intended as reinforcement for a happy, upbeat, positive, and green post by GeoBain. Thank you, GeoBain, for your helpful encouragement. It was both helpful, and encouraging.

Cool.. Another idea I will utilize one day.

I have a cache (GC1H7TG) with just the caps, one from a coke bottle, and one from a water bottle, used a Dremmell tool, and duct tape, folks love it, the simplest thing, and they love it.

I'm a chef, and since I've started caching, I tend to use plastics I salvage from the bin at work. I just recently learned of what I call a "Bouncing Betty", You take a cap from a McCormick Salt/Pepper shaker, (Black cap) and then get a hold of some of the caps that come on those beverage syrups, (Coke, soda the fountain syrups), a little electrical tape, the log rolls up in the fountain cap, and they close nice and snug, and well looks like a mini Land mine.

I also have a "Bleach/Radiator" Cap micro, grab one of them, and usually a small juice cap will snap in place, as well as some other caps.

Well as you can tell, I have lot of time on my hands while at work, (LOL not really) but at home, have lot of plastics to play with.

Glad to hear I am not the only cap head, or CITO head, and can not wait to give this a shot.

Knowing a little bit about Plastics I will chime in here.

I would think that the best way to make a bottle cap cache container would be to cut the bottle off below the collar on both bottles, sand or file the underside of the collars flat and use Crazy glue to fit them together.

The reason for using Crazy glue is that it actually eats/melts/breaks down the Plastic and fuses them together rather than gluing them.

The larger the surface area you are fusing the better the hold.

Edited by brslk

I would think that the best way to make a bottle cap cache container would be to cut the bottle off below the collar on both bottles, sand or file the underside of the collars flat and use Crazy glue to fit them together.

The reason for using Crazy glue is that it actually eats/melts/breaks down the Plastic and fuses them together rather than gluing them.

Crazy glue does NOT bond plastic well. At least not many plastics if it bonds any.

If you want to bond like plastics together you need either heat or a solvent. (friction and radio waves will work as well but most people don't have the sufficient equipment to use those and it's still just using heat).

I made mine a different way. No "glue" was used. There will be no degradation of the adhesive because there isn't any "adhesive".

I also added a little extra as part of the process.

The way I tried, I needed the glue to achieve a waterproof container. I painted them dark brown for "camo".

I also added a magnet to the sealed end before putting it together. What "extra" did you add?

I'm just not sure how the hot glue will hold up in hot weather or in direct sunlight. They were fun to make, but I kinda got carried away and made more than I'll ever hide myself (I'm not that found of nano/micro caches).

I made mine a different way. No "glue" was used. There will be no degradation of the adhesive because there isn't any "adhesive".

I also added a little extra as part of the process.

The way I tried, I needed the glue to achieve a waterproof container. I painted them dark brown for "camo".

I also added a magnet to the sealed end before putting it together. What "extra" did you add?

I'm just not sure how the hot glue will hold up in hot weather or in direct sunlight. They were fun to make, but I kinda got carried away and made more than I'll ever hide myself (I'm not that found of nano/micro caches).

Hot glue will work short term but for long term I used PVC cement. When I added it to the bottom part I added a 3/8 in neodymium magnet to the puddle of PVC cement. It's not going anywhere. The PVC cement is a solvent cement so it molecularly bonds the plastic(s) together.

I just made a container with pvc

I dont want to get off subject so dont tell me how good or bad that is

I was thinking the pvc glue would work wonders fro the bottle cap micros

since it actually melts and bonds the plastic

Exactly. Using VC cement is what will work best. The plastics are dissimilar but it will work fine.

Crazy glue does NOT bond plastic well. At least not many plastics if it bonds any.

If you want to bond like plastics together you need either heat or a solvent. (friction and radio waves will work as well but most people don't have the sufficient equipment to use those and it's still just using heat).

Crazy glue DOES indeed bond Plastics together very well (I should have added "Instant Crazy glue").

It contains acetone which is a solvent.

Try it for yourself. Pour a little nail polish remover into the bottom of a PET bottle and see what happens.

Crazy glue DOES indeed bond Plastics together very well (I should have added "Instant Crazy glue").

Try it for yourself. Pour a little nail polish remover into the bottom of a PET bottle and see what happens.

Crazy glue isn't acetone... ~LOL~

Why use nail polish remover for my test? I have pure acetone at my disposal (among many other chemicals).

You might want to check this site out: http://www.chemistryquestion.com/English/Q...recycling.html:

In part:

A plastic bottle is made of a polymer called “polyethylene terephthalate (PET)”. Approximately 100 molecules of terephthalic acid (TPA) and ethylene glycol (EG, structure: HO-CH2-CH2-OH) link alternately to form this compound’s structure. PET cannot be dissolved in acetone. However...
Edited by knowschad

Why use nail polish remover for my test? I have pure acetone at my disposal (among many other chemicals).

I don't see anywhere in my post where I said Crazy glue was acetone.

As for the nail polish comment.. it is more accessible to the general public these days. It is about 90% acetone.

I have no problems buying it being a former boat builder and fiberglass tech with a degree in.. ah.. nm...

Heck.. I could call Dow Corning and order a 55 Gallon drum of it.

Edited by brslk

You might want to check this site out: http://www.chemistryquestion.com/English/Q...recycling.html:

In part:

A plastic bottle is made of a polymer called “polyethylene terephthalate (PET)”. Approximately 100 molecules of terephthalic acid (TPA) and ethylene glycol (EG, structure: HO-CH2-CH2-OH) link alternately to form this compound’s structure. PET cannot be dissolved in acetone. However...

Your link is dead.

They were fun to make, but I kinda got carried away and made more than I'll ever hide myself (I'm not that found of nano/micro caches).

I started to make one last night with a juice bottle and two lids. I realized that they are fun to make and they are big enough to use as "C.I.T.O. Kit" containers. I will add a grocery bag and a sandwich makers glove and have a nice kit for less then 5 cents!

Maybe the small micro sized containers can be used as stages of a multi? Or for an event game?

Anyone else have some ideas on how we can use micro containers, but not hide the traditional micros?

I started to make one last night with a juice bottle and two lids. I realized that they are fun to make and they are big enough to use as "C.I.T.O. Kit" containers. I will add a grocery bag and a sandwich makers glove and have a nice kit for less then 5 cents!

Maybe the small micro sized containers can be used as stages of a multi? Or for an event game?

Anyone else have some ideas on how we can use micro containers, but not hide the traditional micros?

We have used the film cans with a bag for CITO. IMO it is a waste as hardly anyone CITO's. When I check on caches we have that have been out for years the CITO film can is usually still there despite the area accumulating garbage. Instead you could make the containers and leave them as swag.

I have one of these caches dubbed by some as "large nanos". It has a magnet inside and is attached to some metal stairs about 9'-10' up.

As for the nail polish comment.. it is more accessible to the general public these days. It is about 90% acetone.

I have no problems buying it being a former boat builder and fiberglass tech with a degree in.. ah.. nm...

OK, you said Krazy Glue CONTAINS acetone... which I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

And nail polish REMOVER is 70% acetone according to the last label I read. (I admit to being without nail polish remover at the moment).

And nail polish REMOVER is 70% acetone according to the last label I read. (I admit to being without nail polish remover at the moment).

It doesn't. Acetone actually REMOVES Krazy Glue, according to their website.

In part:

A plastic bottle is made of a polymer called "polyethylene terephthalate (PET)". Approximately 100 molecules of terephthalic acid (TPA) and ethylene glycol (EG, structure: HO-CH2-CH2-OH) link alternately to form this compound's structure. PET cannot be dissolved in acetone. However...

Your link is dead.

Probably just the colon after the ".html", but no matter. The key point I was trying to make was this: "PET cannot be dissolved in acetone."

It doesn't. Acetone actually REMOVES Krazy Glue, according to their website.

I will now back outta this thread and leave the internet Plastic Engineers to discuss how certain Plastics react to Acetone.

I guess I wasted my time going to University. I could have learned all I needed to know by reading it online!

I make these all them time. You may find out that the hot glue may not hold up over time. I use this and everything seems to be doing well with all the ones that I have put out.

Loctite Repair Extreme

That's the adhesive that I have used on my bottle cap containers. It works well, but I have had two fail. It looks like it didn't have complete coverage of the adhesive in the critical areas.

Nice tutorial, but I hate Instructables.com with a passion. Worse web design than that is hard to find. Guess they want you to pay to be a premium member to get something half usable

Agree. pay just to get it all on one page is lame. however theres lots of good stuff on that site.

-

nice clear instructions though and a unlimited source of caps[if you drink lots of soda]

This is really simple. An instructable seems like overkill. Take 2 plastic bottles.bottles.

1. Remove one cap. (Recycle the rest of the bottle.)

2. Take the other bottle and cut along the line as shown in the picture. Keep the top and recycle the rest.

3. Glue the lid onto the open bottle end. Use the adhesive of your choice per discussion here. :anicute:

2literbottlefortaichiex.jpg

We have one like this. I stuck a magnet on the inside and hid it about 9' up.

Also, how have people camoed these?

I painted some of them. I used Rustoleum for Plastic spray paint. ( I tried Krylon Fusion and had trouble with it crazing when applying the second coat. I see someone on that magic board said the same thing). With the Rustoleum, I used a first coat of the green plastic paint and a second layer of Rustoleum brown camoflage paint.

I left a couple of the containers outside in the weather and they went through a couple of thunderstorms without leaking, the paper inside stayed dry. Liberal application of hot glue worked well to seal cap on the cut end of the bottle. I just don't know how the hot glue will hold up in temperature extremes. I used "high temperature" mini glue sticks.