TOO Hard to find?

A question to you all here... Some one has placed a traditional cache near me. I found it on second attempt when the spoiler was still online...

Now the cache owner has removed the spoiler and requested a DNF before he will send it to them... I know there is a place for this kind of cache but to be frank, I do not feel this is it. Some one has already come across a snake whilst searching for the cache. I do not feel it is right that the mosses and undergrowth will be hacked apart by people searching for a cache that is in an area with good tree cover so poor GPS Cover...

I could even question if the cache location could be classed as buried, it is covered with soil loose leaves and pine needles.

I know there are people who enjoy this kind of cache (I have and do) but to see woodland churned up for a smiley?

Am I being a grump?

...just to be clear, are you suggesting it is in some sort of protected area?

Its in the New Forest National Park... Although if wildlife/ plants animals are being disturbed excessively or unnecessarily does it matter where it is?

As I read in a log for a cache I was looking for recently in a city center, it was sad to see the Ivy pulled off the wall by people hunting the cache.

I just walked away and DNF'd

A question to you all here... Some one has placed a traditional cache near me. I found it on second attempt when the spoiler was still online...

Now the cache owner has removed the spoiler and requested a DNF before he will send it to them... I know there is a place for this kind of cache but to be frank, I do not feel this is it. Some one has already come across a snake whilst searching for the cache. I do not feel it is right that the mosses and undergrowth will be hacked apart by people searching for a cache that is in an area with good tree cover so poor GPS Cover...

I could even question if the cache location could be classed as buried, it is covered with soil loose leaves and pine needles.

I know there are people who enjoy this kind of cache (I have and do) but to see woodland churned up for a smiley?

Am I being a grump?

If you are moaning because it is difficult to find then, yes, you're a grump :unsure: . If you are concerned because the woodland really is getting badly churned up that's a different matter - I archived a cache after one week when it became apparent that the tree in which it was hidden was getting a real battering.

But though the difficulty of a cache can increase the liklihood of damage, they are really separate issues, and it's best to keep them separate.

I would agree with you that the cache should not be covered in soil - leaves and pine needles are OK.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

If it's buried, in the context of geocaching that means that some sort of sharp implement (trowel, spade) was used when burying the cache and was necessary to retrieve it. If you think this to be the case then you should report it immediately and request archiving as Groundspeak definitely won't allow it to be listed.

If it seems to encourage damage to the surroundings, I'd e-mail the owner and politely suggest that the hint is made a give-away so that the local environment doesn't suffer. If he refuses, and you live nearby, it would be responsible to point this out to the reviewer for the cache.

IMO, any well-hidden cache (particularly a micro) in an area where there is poor GPS signal should have a clear description of the hiding place to avoid excessive damage ("against a prominent bend in the path, no more than three metres from the edge of the path"). Then the hint should give the exact position (e.g. "base of oak tree nearest to the bend"). It might seem fun to some to search for several hours through a huge number of potential hiding places, but many don't enjoy it and it certainly has a negative impact over the area.

Note the the description of the cache in question includes the text "Cache placed in accordance with the GAGB New Forest guidelines".

Edited by Happy Humphrey