My Carbon Footprint

At this Tenth Anniversary of Geocaching I wonder how many people realize that I created the most energy intensive sport on the planet. Geocachers driving from cache to cache consume large amounts of fuel and create a huge carbon footprint.

Do I need an award for creating the biggest carbon footprint on the planet?

Just think how much fuel Geocachers will burn in the Next Ten Years!

Cache-On!

Dave Ulmer - Inventor of Geocaching

P.S. Just call me Big Foot !

I hope that you didn't get injured patting yourself on the back. If so, I know a really good orthopod.

You know, you never fail to underwhelm me, SBell111. But I think that you underdid yourself this time. Thanks for the inspirational input. History will remember you appropriately.
Geocaching could fail and die on some simple truth about a flaw in its core procedures that couldn't be corrected.
Such as the idea that film canisters make a very good micro cache container. Or that lamp skirts are a very clever hiding spot. Or, for that matter, I guess, that a can of beans makes for good swag in a buried 5 gallon bucket. :D

At this Tenth Anniversary of Geocaching I wonder how many people realize that I created the most energy intensive sport on the planet. Geocachers driving from cache to cache consume large amounts of fuel and create a huge carbon footprint.

Cache-On!

FYI, I have every intention of walking and biking to every location that is not too far to do so. And by too far, I mean, will take more than several hours to get there.

so there.

I'm completely confused because I bought a car which is much better on gas so I wouldn't be needing as much when I scoot about.

I could just as easily bought a guzzler and then just stink up the town with it and not go anywhere.

6 of one, half dozen of another.

On the plus side, I've found so many great places through geocaching. I blame Mother Nature for my carbon footprint, for making all these great places! :D

Compare post #88 to his 2006 e-book and, um, the truth will set you free. :D

Crikey! I've only just scratched a few minutes-worth of that e-book but it seems that I'm not alone in calling for telecommuting where possible. It seems a shame that there's so much control-freaking inertia against it. Governments pontificate about "carbon footprint" and how all this travel causes climate change(sic), yet they don't encourage the very ethos that can reduce a nation's "carbon footprint" by getting rid of unnecessary journeys and the congestion of the "rush hour".§ A carrot-and-stick taxation approach of increasing taxes on office space and giving tax breaks for home-working would IMO be far more effective (albeit not as profitable) at meeting the declared goal than forcing everyone drive to work and levying humongous fuel duties to "discourage" trips for which people have no real alternative.

Anyway - to "carbon footprint". I have two resources that let me get to caches: time and money, and to a large extent increasing consumption of one decreases consumption of the other. My personal caching carbon footprint is what it needs to be for me to make most efficient use of those resources at the time of caching. So if I've got all day and the cache isn't too far I'll walk or go by bicycle; if it's too far for that or I haven't got the time then I'll drive at least part of the way.

Personally, while I believe that there are too few resources to go around an ever-increasing world population, I believe Monckton, who's shown that the IPCC have made too many mathematical errors for their predictions to be believable; Miskolczi, who's shown that runaway greenhouse effect is impossible; and Segalstad, who's calculated that even if the IPCC predictions are correct there is insufficient fossil fuel on Earth to increase atmospheric CO2 concentration by more than 20%, and so the doubling that the IPCC relate is impossible.

Geoff

§ I've never understood why they call it "the rush hour" since it's neither just an hour nor with all that traffic can anyone actually move fast enough to rush anywhere!

How do you feel abut the use of non-traditional GPS units being used as they will usually provide more false data into the system than they do true data.

Even bad non-traditional GPS (read: Smart Phone/iPhone) are better then the GPSrs that were available in 2000 (well, not sure about the iPhone). Why all the hate for SmartPhones?

How to use a SmartPhone as a Back Country GPSr (yes, it can be done!)..

One more question Dave if you don't mind.

Do you have any opinion on the Trail of the Gods power trail and/or the world record attempts for most caches found in a 24 hour period?

Seems silly, but its OK with me.

I have been encouraged to see that after 10 years the GPS manufacturers have finally recognized geocaching as a major use of their products and started developing built-in geocaching applications.

I haven't been keeping up lately but there is one hardware feature I always wanted them to build into GPS units.

Call it Geo-Proof, a way to securely prove that a certain GPS unit and person with passcode actually went to a certain coordinate location at a recorded time and date. From what I know there could already be something like this out there. This feature would be good for proving that people actually completed geocaching finds and adventures as recorded.

Dave...

Dave,

Our Garmin Map60CSx devices had the active track file turned on and shows this information, proving where we went (time stamped) while trying to set our personal best for a day (626). When you download your GPSr in MapSource, and click on the Track tab, that information is accessible, albeit cumbersome to work with. Thanks for coming up with the idea that evolved into geocaching. Our family has added a negligible amount to the carbon footprint in over 7 years of caching. One good volcano eruption can reset everything, atmospherically speaking, so cache on everyone! Conversely, one good comet strike can end the game too. Suspect our mammal ancestors celebrated the latter incident 65 million years ago, given that they were protesting rising global temperatures, attributed to dinosaur flatulence. :) Things worked out, afterall.

Cache on!

Cache-On!

Thanks Dave for keeping me entertained for six years. I've probably used 500 gallons of gas while out geocaching alone. :)

In all honesty, environmentalist who fly in in private jets to "global warming summits," and live in mega mansions, have greater carbon footprints than geocachers ever will.

Yeap! If your greener than Al Gore, your green enough!

Edited by jaroot

Cache-On!

The Great D.U. Wow. Thanks for the obsession! I long for the day I get to lay my eyes on the O.C.B. ... The Holy Grail of geocaching! ;)

Geocachers may burn some gas, but I'd like to think that is offset by all the WMA & campsite day-use fees, and especially CITO'ing that gets done.

I posit that the positive aspects of Geocaching far outweigh the negative (even taking into account the cost to the taxpayers for when the bomb squad is called on the occasional "suspicious' cache. :D )

Global warming isn't caused by humans so don't worry about your carbon. Please do what you can to be Eco-friendly though.

The Great Global Warming Swindle.

I agree whole-heartedly. There's a different between being an environmentalist and a conservationist. The typical envrionmentalist is usually a whack job that doesn't REALLY care about the environment where the conservationist generally truely cares about the environment and can actually apply real science in practical terms rather than based on lies.. [cough cough .. the Gore congregation]

I remember reading a post from you where you presented a situation where a cache could be placed in a secluded location with one path in and surrounded by a meadow of sorts and that the geocache could lead to negative enviromental impacts from geocachers bushwacking to the cache.

Does this play a role in your preference for virtulas/waymarks over geocaches?

Do you have an opinion about geocaches being mistaken for bombs in urban enviroments? Does that play in a role in your reasoning of virtuals/waymarks over geocaches?

Yes, I think environmental damage is less with virtuals because you are finding a larger area rather than a tiny spot where a container is located.

Cache boxes are for kids. Kids love the idea of finding a treasure and geocaching would not be nearly as attractive to them if all were virtual or waymarked places.

I am concerned at how easy it would be to booby trap a few cache boxes with bombs. Some terrorist could easily do this and shut the whole geocaching game down in a day.

Dave...

I am now convinced that this Dave Ulmer is an imposter. I think you've all been hoodwinked.

People are gonna drive every where any way. I know people that will put a bag of garbage on the hood of their car and drive down the drive way to put it in the can.

People drive what they could easily walk in a few moments.

If not geocaching, something else would fill the void for what to drive around for.

On the positive side, I get out more, and bike and hike more. I think the game is 100 times more positive then negative.

Cache-On!

There are lots of geocachers that are very grateful that you had such an awesome idea! Thanks!

Well remember all that walking/hiking that we all did INSTEAD of driving cars?

We all had to eat food to do it! And that apple was from a tree, which was planted by a machine that used gas, and MANY MANY other gas powered machines prob drove by to take care of it.

So woot, one way or the other B)

Even the biggest tree hugger loser, al gore, is just as bad as everyone else.