My Carbon Footprint

At this Tenth Anniversary of Geocaching I wonder how many people realize that I created the most energy intensive sport on the planet. Geocachers driving from cache to cache consume large amounts of fuel and create a huge carbon footprint.

Do I need an award for creating the biggest carbon footprint on the planet?

Just think how much fuel Geocachers will burn in the Next Ten Years!

Cache-On!

Dave Ulmer - Inventor of Geocaching

P.S. Just call me Big Foot !

At this Tenth Anniversary of Geocaching I wonder how many people realize that I created the most energy intensive sport on the planet. Geocachers driving from cache to cache consume large amounts of fuel and create a huge carbon footprint.

Cache-On!

Thanks Dave for keeping me entertained for six years. I've probably used 500 gallons of gas while out geocaching alone. :unsure:

In all honesty, environmentalist who fly in in private jets to "global warming summits," and live in mega mansions, have greater carbon footprints than geocachers ever will.

I created...

As I understand the history, you came up with the idea, but you're not in any way responsible for promoting or for turning this game into anything that it is today (or was even 9 and a half years ago). I believe all the credit goes to the folks at this website (Jeremy, et al.) for making it easily accessible for so many people, keeping the basic game free, making it possible for anyone to create a cache page, etc.

And since the whole "Global Warming crisis" is bull carp anyway, it doesn't really matter how much the geocaching carbon footprint is.

However, this WAS a really cool idea you came up with 10 years ago! That was awesome. Good job.

Thanks Dave for keeping me entertained for six years. I've probably used 500 gallons of gas while out geocaching alone. :unsure:

In all honesty, environmentalist who fly in in private jets to "global warming summits," and live in mega mansions, have greater carbon footprints than geocachers ever will.

Ditto

Cache-On!

I think that that oft repeated environmentalist bugaboo 'story' is a totally unproven and unsubstantiated fantasy of urban legend proportions. And in my opinion born out of envy.

Edited by Team Cotati

I think Geocaching is more in tune with the environment. Our carbon footprint is no larger really than runners and cyclists who have to drive to parks/events to partake in their pastime (oh, and they don't pick up as much trash). Or the increasing number of boaters...and let's not forget NASCAR. Heck, any sport, be it football, baseball, or basketball, draws thousands of spectators to a central location and produces tons of waste. Our carbon footprint is but a drop in the pond.

What you should be congratulating yourself on is that you've created a burgeoning population more aware of and in tune with their environment and who are willing to ensure its continued enjoyment. Not only that, but it's gotten more of us out the door and off the couch. Out from in front of the TV, away from the stresses, and back amongst our family and friends.

Kudos to you!! Here's to the next 10 years.

Cache-On!

Bah. I doubt its the most fuel using sport (got any numbers to back that up?) How much fuel do you think is used at a single NASCAR event (both for the race, and to fill up the stands with fans).

Like others have said, I've done more hiking & biking since I started caching than I ever did before. Besides I doubt I've used more than two tanks of gas for my 131 finds (I have cached in 3 countries and 10 states, but I don't count the long distance as gas spent geocaching because I was going to those places anyway - I just count the diversions from my normal route to caches).

If I wasn't caching, I'd have spent my time watching TV (who's electricity has its own carbon footprint), or driving to other locations. Either way, me being healthier and more entertained by caching far far outweighs the negative effects of any minor increase in carbon footprints it may have caused.

Worry not good sir, and thanks for the good times. I love this hobby.

Thanks, Dave! In 7 years a caching we've burned a wee bit of fuel in the Jeep as we scoured the woods for caches and in the car as we traversed the urban jungle but as others have said we've also burned a good amount of calories on long haikes to great places. I wouldn't give up either one!

The more I think about it, the more it seems that the footprint encompasses a game that allow people to spend countless hours debating what constitutes a "find." Now that is one big foot! We are all indebted to your creative genius.

Edited by Erickson

I note this is also your tenth post. Do you show up once a year on the anniversary, like ghost of Ann Boleyn or something?

Henry was an insecure cad, Ann well she made a major Ooooopsie

To Dave: Many thanks at an event this morning some of us watched your beginning video and read your first log where you searched out a cache placed by another. Thanks again.

Edited by humboldt flier

Hey Dave....great to hear you're still out there. My wife and I have been in love with this stuff over 7 years now.

A couple of years ago we did your #1 in Oregon.....come see me in New Orleans, I work at my View Carre' cache ( GCE02C ).....we'll shower you with gifts and go find a few if you like.

Regarding gas I used over 400 gallons on one trip alone ( out to Oregon) at I must be around 90,000 miles cache to cache so about 5300 gallons total.

Hey Dave....great to hear you're still out there. My wife and I have been in love with this stuff over 7 years now.

A couple of years ago we did your #1 in Oregon.....come see me in New Orleans, I work at my View Carre' cache ( GCE02C ).....we'll shower you with gifts and go find a few if you like.

Regarding gas I used over 400 gallons on one trip alone ( out to Oregon) at I must be around 90,000 miles cache to cache so about 5300 gallons total.

Thank You for the excellent contribution to my Carbon Footprint!

Keep up the good work!

Dave...

If I wasn't driving for geocaching purposes I'd be driving for some other reason.

Thanks for the fun pastime.

Perhaps you ought to consider a few reasonable lifestyle modifications.

And perhaps you should find a shirt.

How do you get from cache to cache? What powers your computer? What are you batteries made from? What chemicals were used to tan the leather in your boots? You are probably a friend of the guy I watched toss trash out the window of his prius.

If I wasn't driving for geocaching purposes I'd be driving for some other reason.

How do you get from cache to cache? What powers your computer? What are you batteries made from? What chemicals were used to tan the leather in your boots? You are probably a friend of the guy I watched toss trash out the window of his prius.

I believe that the word Prius ought to be capitalized.

I believe that the word Prius ought to be capitalized.

And now all he's worried about is my "P".

Never thought I would hear from The Original! Wow!!

Anyway, up here in Canada, we are cheering for global warming. Maybe we could grow something other than wheat... Never seems to warm up though... Maybe those lying sacks [] at CRU are to blame!

Anyway, Cache on is right. Burn more fuel. That is the major export of my province, and if it does cause global warming, maybe I can use my Jet-Ski for more than 2 months a year.

Naw, actually most of my posts were censored and deleted.

Dave...

That is too funny!

Thanks Dave for this great hobby!!!!

[Edited by moderator to remove potty language.]

Edited by Keystone

Dave, Dave, let's not be bitter. The good of geoaching far outweighs the bad, as previous posters stated. And, as also stated, geocachers are a very tiny little drop in a great big bucket.

What we really should be working on is how to get all those freaking ATVs out of the woods.

Lets see here. I pretty much totally disagree with the fact the Groundspeak, Inc. has a world-wide de-facto monopoly on the hobby of Geocaching, just because they went out and plonked down a few dollars for the domain name before anyone else thought of it.

And I pretty much totally disagree with a "carbon footprint", and any of this global warming caused by human's nonsense.

I'm confused. :unsure: I'm going Geocaching. Carbon footprint aside, of course. ;)

Dave, Dave, let's not be bitter. The good of geoaching far outweighs the bad, as previous posters stated. And, as also stated, geocachers are a very tiny little drop in a great big bucket.

What we really should be working on is how to get all those freaking ATVs out of the woods.

Dave Ulmer is from Portland I believe. Like the so many others in the urban areas of the NW, he is wringing his hands about "anthropogenic global warming".

AGW is the preferred Kool-Aid of the progressive left in the Pacific NW.

After awhile you turn it out.

I think some of you need to turn on your sarcasm detectors!!

Thanks Dave for inventing this game. It has given my family a great family thing to do together. My kids are teenagers and they love to go caching. How many parents of teens can say they have an activity that their kids enjoy doing with the old farts? Fromwhat I see today not many I would guess. My wife and I just had our anniversary and we cached to, from and at our getway place. It was great fun. We cache both on foot, by bike and by car so for those that are green inclined it is not all bad. Thanks again and cache on!!! Bill the Cat :unsure:

Lets see here. I pretty much totally disagree with the fact the Groundspeak, Inc. has a world-wide de-facto monopoly on the hobby of Geocaching, just because they went out and plonked down a few dollars for the domain name before anyone else thought of it.

Actually Groundspeak didn't come up with the name "Geocaching" It was suggested in a fourm and Jeremy had the fore thought to register it first. Mike Teague started the first geocahing web site and then ran ito problems. Jeremy was pretty much a lurker back then and offered to help, and put together a workable web site that we all know now.

El Diablo

Many many thanks, Dave. it's a great hobby. Just bought a RV, hope to see more of this wonderful country. Glad to see you're still around.

Welcome to the RV Life. I have been living full-time in a motorhome for the last 7 years. I've always wondered how long it will be before some enterprising geocacher finds me. Of course I am a moving target but it should be a challenging find for someone with skills.

Dave...

And I pretty much totally disagree with a "carbon footprint", and any of this global warming caused by human's nonsense.

I'm confused. :unsure: I'm going Geocaching. Carbon footprint aside, of course. ;)

Oh they've got that de-facto thing alright, just not for the silly reason that you site.

I think that that oft repeated environmentalist bugaboo 'story' is a totally unproven and unsubstantiated fantasy of urban legend proportions. And in my opinion born out of envy.

Copenhagen climate summit: 1,200 limos, 140 private planes and caviar wedges

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhage...iar-wedges.html

Edited by Kit Fox

Cache-On!

Hey Big Foot. Great to see you checking in on the 10th Anniversary.

And I already checked on May 2020. Another weekend. Please stop by and say hi again.

Many many thanks, Dave. it's a great hobby. Just bought a RV, hope to see more of this wonderful country. Glad to see you're still around.

Welcome to the RV Life. I have been living full-time in a motorhome for the last 7 years. I've always wondered how long it will be before some enterprising geocacher finds me. Of course I am a moving target but it should be a challenging find for someone with skills.

Dave...

So does the RV have a travel bug? :unsure:

Great hobby. Thanks for bringing it to the masses.

Copenhagen climate summit: 1,200 limos, 140 private planes and caviar wedges

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhage...iar-wedges.html

And?

If it wasn't for geocaching, I wouldn't have collected three trash bags of trash off the side of the road today. I like to think we're doing more good than harm. ;)

I'll blame Dave either way, how's that? That make everyone happy? :unsure:

You know, that may very well be true. But all too often I get the distinct impression that geocachers think that that cito thing is the end all and be all equalizer of all things related to geocaching. That somehow geocachers are due some sort of special dispensation.

Oh they've got that de-facto thing alright, just not for the silly reason that you site.

Silly reason? I'm sure some schmuck with no clue of what they were doing could have purchased the name Geocaching.com before anyone else thought of it, and totally blown it. They certainly have done it right, and squashed the competition. Navicache and Terracaching have been abandoned, for all practical purposes. Heck, Terracaching.com has been so abandoned, they can't even update the copyright information on the bottom of each page on their site.

So why do you think they have the de-facto thing?

Oh, and I still can't tell if Dave is joking around or not. He's certainly interacting in the thread. By the way, great idea Dave, thanks. :D