Can A Pipe be a Benchmark?

bholt3

We were looking for the standard concrete post and disk. Found the Witness Post placard on the fence line, but the only marker we could find was a pipe with lead poured in the top. No markings, but it did have an old red plastic ribbon tied to it. The BM was supposed to be 1 ft west of Witness Post, but the pipe was 1 ft east. Since the datasheet stated the BM post was 1.0 ft above the ground I don't see how we could missed it. Photo of pipe marker is at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ben.peg.holt@sbcglobal.net/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.dnm=GU2055+BenchMark.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

[This message was edited by B&P on September 15, 2003 at 06:50 PM.]ben.peg.holt@sbcglobal.net

[This message was edited by B&P on September 15, 2003 at 06:51 PM.]

[This message was edited by B&P on September 15, 2003 at 06:53 PM.]

It's true that a pipe can be a benchmark, however I'd be suspect to think that what you found was most likely a property corner, or property line mark, and not a benchmark. It certainly is not GU2055.

The benchmark you were searching for is described as a 'bench mark disk'...'set into the top of a round concrete monument', and '...30 FEET NORTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE ROAD, 4 FEET EAST OF A T JUNCTION FENCE CORNER, 1.6 FEET WEST OF A WITNESS POST WHICH IS IN THE FENCE LINE, AND SET IN THE TOP OF A CONCRETE POST PROJECTING 1.0 FOOT ABOVE THE GROUND.'

I think this is probably a property corner because the description of '...30 FEET NORTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE ROAD...' indicates that the benchmark was probably set on the right-of-way line for the road - the same distance from the road that a property monument would be set. Also, fence corners are probable indicators of possible property corners (however fences and fence corners are NOT property lines and/or property corners). Along with the fact that a capped iron pipe is very commonly used as a property corner in the State of California. (I've set many.)

GU2055 may still be there. Occasionally the benchmarks get covered, but if this one originally stood 1.0 feet up, it would take a lot of dirt to hide it. Good luck in your search.

Keep on Caching! (and Benchmarking!)

- Kewaneh

Good point about the property corner marker. Especially if you look at the fence line in the referenced photo. The BM was supposed to be 1 ft west (left in photo) of the placard and we found the pipe 1 ft east (right in photo). Looks like we'll have to go back out with a metal detector.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ben.peg.holt@sbcglobal.net/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.dnm=Witness+Post.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

No, it isn't a cultivated field. It is a cattle pasture. The Witness Post sign was nailed to the fence post with one nail in the upper part. Both upper and lower nail holes in the sign looked very worn. Sign was loose on post. It may be very likely that the sign was reinstalled by someone. We'll have to go revisit the site with our tape measures cuz the BM sure isn't sticking 1 ft out of the ground now.