Is it possible that this sport could get TOO popular?

Starting to worry just a bit. Lately, there have been many new caches in my area hidden by very new and inexperienced cachers. Tonight, while we were hunting for a cache in the woods, some guy rode his bike past us and said "good luck"! Then, a few minutes later we heard a small child say, "daddy look, those people are geocaching"!

Also, tonight we found a new cache in a wooded area behind a Mcdonalds, and it was just a large plastic mcdonalds drinking cup with a happy meal toy and 2 pieces of paper for a log. There was so much trash in the area that we didn't know what was trash and what was the cache.

My next door neighbor heard a TV commercial the other day where a town was advertising boating, fishing, and geocaching as reasons to visit.

I love this hobby, and I especially like the secretive, sneaky part of it all. I like the fact that we are an "underground community" that the rest of world doesn't know about. It just seems to me that the gaining popularity could be a bad thing. I hope I am wrong and that somebody here can say something positive on this subject to put the worry to rest! :unsure:

This is what I like to call the "Mainstream Event Horizon". The Mainstream Event Horizon is upon us. Years ago, when geocaching was growing, but not as much as now, I predicted that there would eventually be over a million caches worldwide. This prediction became a reality and I am a prophet now because I predicted that the Mainstream Event Horizon was going to occur. The Mainstream Event Horizon is a reality now, but where will the Mainstream Event Horizon take us from here? Are McDonalds cups as caches a result of the Mainstream Event Horizon? Are television commercials going to become common during and after the Mainstream Event Horizon? Will stealth be unnecessary because of the Mainstream Event Horizon? Just how popular will geocaching get after the Mainstream Event Horizon? The effects of the Mainstream Event Horizon remain to be seen.

:unsure:;):D

I think popularity is going to peak, but then the herd will thin out. Like all things that become mainstream, you'll have the ones who were there in the beginning, the "just a phase"ers that are gung-ho for a little while but then lose interest, and you are again left with the ones who were there in the beginning and the ones who were gung-ho but actually stuck around. I think you will see this more so in bigger cities than smaller ones.

I predict the McDonald's cache in the OP will disappear, most likely the result of a McDonald's employee picking up trash. What we're going to end up with is a bunch of plastic degrading in the wild; the stuff we'll end up CITOing in a couple of years. What will suck is that those poorly-placed, non-maintained caches are going to prevent us "real" geocachers from placing good, long-lasting caches. That's what's going to tick me off.

Starting to worry just a bit. Lately, there have been many new caches in my area hidden by very new and inexperienced cachers. Tonight, while we were hunting for a cache in the woods, some guy rode his bike past us and said "good luck"! Then, a few minutes later we heard a small child say, "daddy look, those people are geocaching"!

Also, tonight we found a new cache in a wooded area behind a Mcdonalds, and it was just a large plastic mcdonalds drinking cup with a happy meal toy and 2 pieces of paper for a log. There was so much trash in the area that we didn't know what was trash and what was the cache.

My next door neighbor heard a TV commercial the other day where a town was advertising boating, fishing, and geocaching as reasons to visit.

I love this hobby, and I especially like the secretive, sneaky part of it all. I like the fact that we are an "underground community" that the rest of world doesn't know about. It just seems to me that the gaining popularity could be a bad thing. I hope I am wrong and that somebody here can say something positive on this subject to put the worry to rest! :unsure:

People might know about geocaching, but they don't know about geocaching. I'm happy with people having a general understanding of the game.

What you describe is sadly nothing new and I fully expect that things will get 'worse', much worse before they start to normalize and even then I suspect that it will take external social pressures to cause change.

No, it doesn't have to happen that way but my personal belief is that it will.

No prophet and only been here 4 months but I will gladly make a proclamation!!!

Iphone...the beginning of the end.

yeah, I have thought the same thing. But then a while back someone started a thread called "the death of geocaching" and it was about how he was out one day and on the spur of the moment pulled out his iphone to show a friend all about geocaching. Then he couldn't find the cache he was looking for and predicted geocaching would die if TPTB didn't find a way to help him find a cache spontaneously with his phone whenever he wanted.

That's when I realized there is nothing to worry about. The game will die, all right. For him, not for me.

I'll continue to read cache pages, charge the battery on my explorist 500 and head out into the woods just like I have done for the vast majority of my 2300+ finds.

I do agree with you that iphones might change the nature of urban and near-urban caching. But that doesn't bother me at all...

Edited by hukilaulau

I love this hobby, and I especially like the secretive, sneaky part of it all. I like the fact that we are an "underground community" ....

In the beginning, that was the reason I liked geocaching too but eventually you come to realize that there's no real skill involved in hiding a film can under a light pole cover or a hide-a-key under a dumpster or a nano behind a telephone box.

These days I like geocaching because of the interesting places it takes me - preferably out of the way places where stealth isn't important. The whole world can know about geocaching as far as I'm concerned because it's not a factor in the kinds of places I like to be taken anymore.

I love this hobby, and I especially like the secretive, sneaky part of it all. I like the fact that we are an "underground community" that the rest of world doesn't know about.

It's been years since this game could reasonably be called "underground". It's highly visible and in the press somewhere several times every day.

Our saving grace isn't that we're underground, it's that 999 out of 1000 people who hear of it don't give it a second thought.

Try it - invite your friends, coworkers, family, etc. Invite everyone you come in contact with to geocache. How many of them will even try it once, and how many of those will ever go again?

Yes, we're growing. No, we're in no danger of becoming too popular! :unsure:

This is something I worry about, too. But I also think that many new geocachers get bored very fast :unsure:

So in my opinion, the only thing that grows is "profile garbage", new members who have created an account and have lost the interest in the game after 10 caches...

Mezgrman

At some point, caching will become a fad/internet meme/hipster trend/running joke/whatever.

That's when we'll know it's too popular. Fark and Jay Leno will make geocaching jokes. Rolling Stone will have an article on it. Friends will see your GPS and roll their eyes. You'll see geocaching-related TV commercials:

"Been hurt in a geocaching accident? Here at Kromsky-Burton-Myers, we're dedicated to helping YOU recover everything you deserve."

People you introduced to geocaching will beat you to FTFs. You'll ponder switching to GLONASS, Galileo, or Beidou because it might give you an advantage. You'll be jealous of some kid you saw on the news with 10000 finds (and no life).

The only problem I see is if there are enough boneheads out there hiding caches poorly on private property without permission that a local ordinance gets passed that bans Geocaching (it happened about 45 minutes South of me).

There are a lot of what I'll call "casual" cachers that want nothing more than to drive around from parking lot to parking lot lifting up lamp post skirts and getting their numbers up. Even moderately difficult finds that require *gasp* walking on a well marked trail in a park see dramatically fewer finds, at least near me.

If anything, the increasing popularity of Geocaching may motivate some fat lazy people to get outside and do some exercising and to use their brains instead of vegging out on the couch watching TV all the time. I know it was the motivation I needed to become more active and I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

When I started geocaching I was not aware that I was joining a secret society. And since there is a lot of woods out here it is now taking me to cool places in said woods that I probably wouldn't go to other wise. Or to rural locations that I only drive past.

Everyone in my life knows what I do and only 2 will venture out with me and one of them has mobility issues so she doesn't venture far out with me (which is why I like those easy path sorts of caches because they keep the hobby accessible).

Anyhow, it may have some flash in the pan popularity, especially with the applications for phones but I don't see it lasting. But I see little wrong with people wanting to engage in this hobby and if the problem is bad cache placement then we as a community have to find a way to communicate that better than what we are.

And also around here some of the worst cache placements I have discovered are by a seasoned person (and they draw numerous complaints every single cache). Instead of complain about it. I simply don't look for those caches.

I think popularity is going to peak, but then the herd will thin out. Like all things that become mainstream, you'll have the ones who were there in the beginning, the "just a phase"ers that are gung-ho for a little while but then lose interest, and you are again left with the ones who were there in the beginning and the ones who were gung-ho but actually stuck around. I think you will see this more so in bigger cities than smaller ones.

I predict the McDonald's cache in the OP will disappear, most likely the result of a McDonald's employee picking up trash. What we're going to end up with is a bunch of plastic degrading in the wild; the stuff we'll end up CITOing in a couple of years. What will suck is that those poorly-placed, non-maintained caches are going to prevent us "real" geocachers from placing good, long-lasting caches. That's what's going to tick me off.

I agree 100%. This happens with all kinds of activities. I do a lot of networking in my non-geocaching life, and see it happen A LOT.

you'd be amazed how many police don't know about it.

I got detained about two weeks ago. Fortunately my Oregon had tracks to where I had been and little open treasure chests on the screen. They weren't please but they let me go. (After checking ID, permits, plates, lecturing, etc.) Nothing like 3 cruisers all over you when you're not doing anything wrong.

This is what I like to call the "Mainstream Event Horizon". The Mainstream Event Horizon is upon us. Years ago, when geocaching was growing, but not as much as now, I predicted that there would eventually be over a million caches worldwide. This prediction became a reality and I am a prophet now because I predicted that the Mainstream Event Horizon was going to occur. The Mainstream Event Horizon is a reality now, but where will the Mainstream Event Horizon take us from here? Are McDonalds cups as caches a result of the Mainstream Event Horizon? Are television commercials going to become common during and after the Mainstream Event Horizon? Will stealth be unnecessary because of the Mainstream Event Horizon? Just how popular will geocaching get after the Mainstream Event Horizon? The effects of the Mainstream Event Horizon remain to be seen.

:P:):)

Listen you. I'm the official Geocaching Prophet around here. :mad::):D

i'm kinda surprised some company like rei doesn't already plant a puzzle cache at each store. to try and get you to come

They wouldn't be published under the current guidelines.

Although I guess there is some price at which Groundspeak might decide to allow them :P

I was thinking about this today. We have a cache that sometimes gets found 3 or 4 times a day. When will it be too much?

Link?

Not all caches are out in the woods. If a neighbor or business sees someone across the way they might dismiss it. If they see it all day then that might threaten the fun. Too many caches mysteriously disappear.

Those Iced Tea Snaffles

Nice reason for a hide. I recently saw a sign that made me think of something my grandma did to amuse us when we were kids. So I placed a cache there with a similar message to think of your grandparents.

I think what you are experiencing with this hide is the growth of caching as a social activity as opposed to a lone wolf one. You make be getting 3-4 visits on the days you are getting visits, but 55 finds in 7.5 months isn't the same as what you originally stated. That would multiply out to almost 800 finds.

i'm kinda surprised some company like rei doesn't already plant a puzzle cache at each store. to try and get you to come

Although I guess there is some price at which Groundspeak might decide to allow them :D

All three REI locations in our area already have caches nearby. They wouldn't get publish for saturation issues. :P

Edited by wimseyguy

Although I guess there is some price at which Groundspeak might decide to allow them :P

I'll bet at the Flagship store in Seattle some one could do one that was a neat multi that didn't break the guidlines. (I don't know about the landscaping around most of the stores but the Seattle one has nice landscaping).

you'd be amazed how many police don't know about it.

I got detained about two weeks ago. Fortunately my Oregon had tracks to where I had been and little open treasure chests on the screen. They weren't please but they let me go. (After checking ID, permits, plates, lecturing, etc.) Nothing like 3 cruisers all over you when you're not doing anything wrong.

Maybe they didn't believe the real reason the Hoff was on his knees looking somewhat bewildered. :P

I'll bet at the Flagship store in Seattle some one could do one that was a neat multi that didn't break the guidlines. (I don't know about the landscaping around most of the stores but the Seattle one has nice landscaping).

Last time I was there, I counted three caches within 100' or so of the parking lot (it's a big parking lot) of the Delorme facility in Yarmouth, Maine.

Fast forward 10 years

Cachers save up their US new dollars for airfare to Kazakhstan, home of one of the only two remaining REI caches (with coveted icon) on the whole planet.

I love this hobby, and I especially like the secretive, sneaky part of it all. I like the fact that we are an "underground community" that the rest of world doesn't know about. It just seems to me that the gaining popularity could be a bad thing. I hope I am wrong and that somebody here can say something positive on this subject to put the worry to rest! :D

I wouldn't worry too much about over-popularity, I still find I have to explain things to Law Enforcement Officers ( LEOs) and I think they would all know about it by now.

Perhaps the best action to take is to find (or form) a local cachers club (you can set up a group on Yahoo or Google Groups for your discussions) and discuss ideas and pros/cons of various hides. Also, not too hard to organize an event and encourage newbies to come and learn from the experienced cachers - very important is say nothing to make them feel ashamed, achieve improvement through encouragement and creativity, otherwise you may drive some people away.

Events are often easy and popular if you can reserve some space in a nearby picnic area of a park (such as Auburn Park, off Jaycee, or a restaurant (say, Pat & Jerry's for example.)

Better caching through community!

Best of luck

(oh, and yes, I lived in the area for a few decades :wacko: )

First I agree it is going to become more popular but then I also predict it will be a fad type thing for most people, and only those who truly love it will stick around. I have been around for 2 years now but have just 42 finds because of coaching my 14 year old son in sports most of the year does not leave much time for caching I have ask several people who showed an interest in caching ,after they had learned that I was a cacher, To join me and I would show them what it was all about but when the time comes to actually go they decide they do not want to try it. I belive in the long run that caching will be fine.

As a new-b myself I have to put my 2 cents in. I've known about geocaching since I was young but sadly the tools were not at my grasp. I almost had a heart attack when I realized that my android phone has an app. :D

Regular GPS units are out of my price range at the moment (but I am saving up for one on the side) so my trusty phone has allowed me to FINALLY take part in the sport that I've pined after for years. My very first find was in the neighborhood that I grew up in. :wacko:

I plan on finding allot more finds on my days off from work! Wish me luck

As a new-b myself I have to put my 2 cents in. I've known about geocaching since I was young but sadly the tools were not at my grasp. I almost had a heart attack when I realized that my android phone has an app. :D

Regular GPS units are out of my price range at the moment (but I am saving up for one on the side) so my trusty phone has allowed me to FINALLY take part in the sport that I've pined after for years. My very first find was in the neighborhood that I grew up in. :o

I plan on finding allot more finds on my days off from work! Wish me luck

With proper care and planning you should have a blast. Even more fun when you can draw some of your friends into the game or find other cachers around where you live to go caching with.

Now I fit geocaching into my travel plans. Gives travelling that little bit more zip when you can stop every now and then to stretch the legs and make a find. :wacko:

Still a relative newbie but caching for us is a family activity. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that if we said to the kids "lets go walk up that hill" the answer would be no chance. However, when you say "lets go walk up that hill find the cache on top and swap some treasure", that's a different story completely.

I don't think the sport / hobby can become too popular but as mentioned earlier, there is a risk of too many 'easy' or badly planned caches being planted. Perhaps it's a culture difference between countries but geocaching isn't particularly well known about in the UK and I regularly get the eyes rolling thing when explaining what it's all about.

We started caching in Croatia last year, because a friend of mine was already addicted and took us with her to show us the whole thing and not just explain it.

When we got home to Austria again, I checked the website to see if there were any caches in our area. It were only a few and we found it.

But now it exploded as well. About 100 caches appeared within 11 months in the capital city of Lower Austria. In Vienna it might be about 1000 caches.

We live in a rather rural area and we only have caches at really amazing spots in the woods and on the mountain tops.

Mostly you have to climb one mountain to find one cache. That's why those caches aren't found very often, because the "modern" cacher wants to find at least 15 caches a day to get numbers up.

That's sad... Of course I try to find as many caches as possible when I visit another city, but for me it is greater fun to hike through the nature and find a well hidden and big plastic box at an amazing place.

All those nanos and micros in the cities or on motorways are a bit boring...

Most of my friends and colleagues know what I am doing in my free time and they are interested and ask me about it, but they won't start searching themselves.

I think that the "real" cacher will stay with this hobby and will have fun over the years.

And if there are any "dump" caches, you can report it to a reviewer. I have already found some caches I didn't like at all, because they were directly next to the motorway in the bushes were some people drop their waste. I reported those caches and also told the owner, that this space is awful, dirty and disgusting.

But I don't think that it can get too popular.

Newbie here! PG's are what got me started. I found my first cache without getting out of the car. Not sure if it had been muggled and placed back in the area without care to stash it or at least conceal it, but we moved on and before I was two days into it I wanted to make a cache of my own. The first thing that came to mind was something in the area that you will need to get further than 30 feet from your car to find. I placed a large cache with lots of swag on private land with permission from the owner for all geocachers. The PG's were fun for the kids and the older people who did not want to get too far from the car. I'll be placing another large cache next weekend that will require a sack lunch and plenty of bug spray.

After reading more and more into geocaching, I think in time it will be regulated in metro areas more and more. Like I've read several times about "Lamp post bombers." More and more I think it will faze into remote locations.

I see cache quality going down in my area and I've only been caching for 8 months or something. Which is fine, I got into caching for the views and the cool places around washington state and I know there isn't much to see "in town". Most of the cool views and hidden gems still have decent hides and thats cool with me. I just got my 50th FTF yesterday and it was an ammo can. Not seeing those often enough, that's for sure.

For the most part the caches bring you to interesting places usually. There was one placed by a 4-H club that wasn't interesting so much but I also know they have their meetings in that community center so it made sense to me and I went to support the kids.

I wish people didn't insist on hiding micros and nanos in the heavily forested areas but that happens as much with experienced people as inexperienced people here. And that's my personal bias against those sizes when bigger ones would fit nicely in the environment (but I like bigger ones to rummage through the stuff and logs left behind).

I appreciate the people around here who have take so much time to log historical points and points of interest with their caches and hope to forward that standard along at some point.

my wife and I just recently started caching and have become addicted to it faster than we could imagine. Judging as quickly as we got hooked, i'm sure others would be easily hooked as well. with the iphone being a usable gps device, even more people have been thrust into the 'eligable to geocache' category than before, most without even realizing it. we both have iphones and find them much more convenient than a gps for many reasons, and would be perfect if not for the darn battery life. I'd expect to see many more newbs like ourselves in the coming months as 3G takes more and more hold and application phones become increasingly popular. But just as people get hooked, the same people often get unhooked just as easily. I only think the people with the true heart for the game and care for its purpose and the environment will really be the one's who stay for the long run.

There was so much trash in the area that we didn't know what was trash and what was the cache.

:anicute:

Well now that you removed all of the trash near the cache it should be a snap. Perhaps that was the point of the cache to hilight the trash in the area. Now everytime a cacher comes they will clean it up! Great job.

There was so much trash in the area that we didn't know what was trash and what was the cache.

:anicute:

Well now that you removed all of the trash near the cache it should be a snap. Perhaps that was the point of the cache to hilight the trash in the area. Now everytime a cacher comes they will clean it up! Great job.

In the 70's developers built entire apartment complexes around tennis. There was a boom in the sport that came from having so many wonderful players. You could not get a court to save your mama's life most of the time. Now I never have to wait to play.

Everything has a rise and fall. Look at Brittney Spears.

I love this hobby, and I especially like the secretive, sneaky part of it all. I like the fact that we are an "underground community" that the rest of world doesn't know about. It just seems to me that the gaining popularity could be a bad thing. I hope I am wrong and that somebody here can say something positive on this subject to put the worry to rest! :anicute:

dont forget the lazy or dificulty factor there are some newbs out there and of course they are a pain because they do stupid stuff, like take travel bugs and then give up on the sport or place a cache with some old pos gps or phone and the coords are way off, but they will go away, become to lazy or get frustrated with a cache that is difficult. I think were good

Everything has a rise and fall. Look at Brittney Spears.

Lol. Look at TerraCaching and NaviCaching and MovingCaching.

I still own locationless TCs, but the anti-geocaching.com mood that was perceived more or less killed it for me. I stopped supporting with my cash and I stopped participating in the TC forums.

I really miss locationless caches though. It's all TC really has going for it anymore.

This is what I like to call the "Mainstream Event Horizon".

Isn't there a risk that once the mainstream is aware that shiny potentially valuable items are left unprotected outside that not so nice types will go around stealing them?

Without secrecy will GCs be safe in the wild?

Have you SEEN the stuff in geocaches lately?