Oregon 450 Questions

I'm in the process of upgrading my Garmin 60Cx and have just about decided on a Garmin Oregon 450. I would really appreciate some feedback on my remaining questions:

The specs state that the 450 will support 2,000 waypoints, but clicking on the "Geocaching Friendly" link on the Garmin site also states that up to 5,000 geocaches can be loaded. How does that work? Can you load 5,000 caches as well at 2,000 waypoints? Is the 5,000 a fixed number regardless of the size of the listings (if you load a lot of very long listings, is the number less than 5,000)?

How many logs for each cache are included in the download?

Is it really necessary to recalibrate the compass with every battery change? How hard is that process? Does the unit also have a GPS-based (non-barometric) compass like my 60Cx?

Thanks, I'm excited!

I just went from a 60Cx to the Oregon 450 also and so far I am happy. Most of the problems are from me and not the unit.

The Oregon 450 will hold 5000 caches and 2000 waypoints.

When loading a PQ all I just do is copy both the cache gpx and the waypoint gpx to the 450 and done.

it seems to be the last 5 logs for each cache.

It is not necessary to recalibrate the compass and You can turn it off and it works like the one in the 60Cx. and calibrating is a snap.

Only sad part is that you cannot change the coordinates' in a cache so if doing multis you have to mark a waypoint and push that along instead of the cache icon.

So far I am enjoying the 450 but keep the 60Cx as a backup its still a Great unit.

Have fun .

Is the 5,000 a fixed number regardless of the size of the listings (if you load a lot of very long listings, is the number less than 5,000)?

Long listings don't affect the number of caches you can store in the unit. However, with some very long cache listings the text may be truncated. I'm not sure whether these long listings are truncated at the Web site or by GSAK (which I use to maintain my caching data).

Is it really necessary to recalibrate the compass with every battery change? How hard is that process?

In my experience, if you want the compass to perform properly you need to recalibrate it every time you change the batteries, and sometimes more often. The process is easy. I used a 60CSx before I bought my Oregon (in my case a 550t), and the calibration process seems quicker and easier with the Oregon.

--Larry

In my experience, if you want the compass to perform properly you need to recalibrate it every time you change the batteries, and sometimes more often. The process is easy. I used a 60CSx before I bought my Oregon (in my case a 550t), and the calibration process seems quicker and easier with the Oregon.

--Larry

Rather than going through the calibration whenever the voltage shifts enough, I finally found a solution to this that I'm reasonably happy with -- Powergenix NiZn batteries. The discharge curve is VERY flat (that's the key, by the way). They operate at pretty much the same voltage (keeping the compass chip happy) until they're done, and then they just fall off the edge of the world within a minute or two. Slap another pair in. I never bother calibrating either my Summit HC or my Dakota 20 now. Calibrated both once with a fresh set and that was that. Doesn't much matter which battery technology you use in Setup since that's really for the "gas gauge", and these things don't taper off, so by the time you see any change, you'd better have the next set in hand.

--Larry

Rather than going through the calibration whenever the voltage shifts enough, I finally found a solution to this that I'm reasonably happy with -- Powergenix NiZn batteries. The discharge curve is VERY flat (that's the key, by the way). They operate at pretty much the same voltage (keeping the compass chip happy) until they're done, and then they just fall off the edge of the world within a minute or two. Slap another pair in. I never bother calibrating either my Summit HC or my Dakota 20 now. Calibrated both once with a fresh set and that was that. Doesn't much matter which battery technology you use in Setup since that's really for the "gas gauge", and these things don't taper off, so by the time you see any change, you'd better have the next set in hand.

What setting (I assume the 450 works like the Map 60 and you tell it what kind of cells you are using) do you use (or is it automagically smart?)

Mine arrives Tomorrow (My 7th anniversary of caching, what a great way to celebrate!)

What setting (I assume the 450 works like the Map 60 and you tell it what kind of cells you are using) do you use (or is it automagically smart?)

Mine arrives Tomorrow (My 7th anniversary of caching, what a great way to celebrate!)

Yes, you will need to identify the battery type on a 450 in the Setup/System menu - same as was the case for your 60. What that does is give the "gas gauge" an idea of what nominal voltage is for the cells you are using. There's no way for your GPS to autodetect whether you have a NiMH in there, or a mostly depleted alkaline. All the GPS can see is the voltage at the moment. For all but these things I am using, that allows you to see when your cells are getting lower.

When I use the NiZn cells, I set it to Lithium, but like I say, the discharge profile is so flat (voltage is more or less constant right up to the end) that they just drop off the face of the earth when they are depleted, so the gas gauge really isn't all that relevant in any case.

I've been using NiZn cells in my GPSMap for the past couple months, they're awesome batteries, but when they go, they go fast.

I'm sure there's a discharge voltage drop, but it may be a very subtle one. If I had the datacapture software and A/D converter stuff for my PC I could rig a circuit, say 50 ma draw, and watch for it. (Probably better to use a plotter, if I could find one at Weird Stuff. :D )

Is the 5,000 a fixed number regardless of the size of the listings (if you load a lot of very long listings, is the number less than 5,000)?

Long listings don't affect the number of caches you can store in the unit. However, with some very long cache listings the text may be truncated. I'm not sure whether these long listings are truncated at the Web site or by GSAK (which I use to maintain my caching data).

From the Oregon wiki:

If the total size of all gpx files exceeds 8MB-10MB the Oregon may fail to display some or all of the geocaches that these files contain. The exact limit has not been characterized yet.

Verify: Needs verification -- I've heard reports of people using much larger files on the x50

I think my GPX of about 1900 geocaches is around 12 MB, and seems to load fine on my Oregon 300. But something to be aware of.

I'm sure there's a discharge voltage drop, but it may be a very subtle one. If I had the datacapture software and A/D converter stuff for my PC I could rig a circuit, say 50 ma draw, and watch for it. (Probably better to use a plotter, if I could find one at Weird Stuff. :D )

I think the problem is that even when voltage is dropping, it still reads higher than a disposable lithium cell. Since the firmware doesn't know the discharge curve for NiZn, it can't tell you it's fading.

From the Oregon wiki:

If the total size of all gpx files exceeds 8MB-10MB the Oregon may fail to display some or all of the geocaches that these files contain. The exact limit has not been characterized yet.

Verify: Needs verification -- I've heard reports of people using much larger files on the x50

I think my GPX of about 1900 geocaches is around 12 MB, and seems to load fine on my Oregon 300. But something to be aware of.

Just to clarify. The 5000 has nothing to do with the length of the listing or number of logs. I have heard of many users going past the 8-10MB mark which was something of a limitation in the early days.

Truncation of the description happens around 8000 characters and is done by the unit not GSAK.