I want to hide a cache

:)

So we (we being me and my 6 yo son) are new to caching ~ haven't even logged 50 finds yet. I've been "stalking" sites and saving containers. I've been searching online and I think I have figured out what size the caches are and I have read http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx. I'm nervous though - should I just bite the bullet and place one?? :ph34r: I want it to be fun and a good cache for people to find ~ maybe I'm just over thinking it and should "just do it"

thanks!

Go for it. Do the best you can and if it isn't perfect who cares? You will learn a lot and your next one will be even better.

But just do me a favor. Pick a different text color. That one is awful. :)

HAHA! But it's the closest I could find to pink - and pink is my color :):ph34r:

:)

So we (we being me and my 6 yo son) are new to caching ~ haven't even logged 50 finds yet. I've been "stalking" sites and saving containers. I've been searching online and I think I have figured out what size the caches are and I have read http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx. I'm nervous though - should I just bite the bullet and place one?? :ph34r: I want it to be fun and a good cache for people to find ~ maybe I'm just over thinking it and should "just do it"

thanks!

My advice:

Use a water tight container - don't use gladware or anything else that was meant for temporary food storage and isn't water tight.

How are you going to get your coordinates? Do you know how to average? Get the most accurate coordinates that you can. If your coordinates are fuzzy because of tree coverage, give a good hint so people can find it without trampling around too much.

Stick close to your computer the first couple of days that your cache is published and be prepared to correct any problems. If cachers tell you your cache is 60 meters from ground zero and give you a more accurate coordinates, consider editing your posted latitude/longitude coords. If you can't figure out how to do something with regards to editting coords or cache description ask your reviewer and/or ask here on the forums for help.

;)

So we (we being me and my 6 yo son) are new to caching ~ haven't even logged 50 finds yet. I've been "stalking" sites and saving containers. I've been searching online and I think I have figured out what size the caches are and I have read http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx. I'm nervous though - should I just bite the bullet and place one?? :unsure: I want it to be fun and a good cache for people to find ~ maybe I'm just over thinking it and should "just do it"

thanks!

My advice:

Use a water tight container - don't use gladware or anything else that was meant for temporary food storage and isn't water tight.

How are you going to get your coordinates? Do you know how to average? Get the most accurate coordinates that you can. If your coordinates are fuzzy because of tree coverage, give a good hint so people can find it without trampling around too much.

Stick close to your computer the first couple of days that your cache is published and be prepared to correct any problems. If cachers tell you your cache is 60 meters from ground zero and give you a more accurate coordinates, consider editing your posted latitude/longitude coords. If you can't figure out how to do something with regards to editting coords or cache description ask your reviewer and/or ask here on the forums for help.

Getting the right coordinates is a concern of mine - I am using my iPhone and it always tells me "accurate with in 56 ft" - I don't want to give someone the wrong coordinates because my iPhone is off

Edited by funibair

;)

So we (we being me and my 6 yo son) are new to caching ~ haven't even logged 50 finds yet. I've been "stalking" sites and saving containers. I've been searching online and I think I have figured out what size the caches are and I have read http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx. I'm nervous though - should I just bite the bullet and place one?? :unsure: I want it to be fun and a good cache for people to find ~ maybe I'm just over thinking it and should "just do it"

thanks!

My advice:

Getting the right coordinates is a concern of mine - I am using my iPhone and it always tells me "accurate with in 56 ft" - I don't want to give someone the wrong coordinates because my iPhone is off

Ooooh! That is a reason for concern! iPhones and other smartphones simply are not as good at providing coordinates. The GPS feature is just one of many sensors built in, and it isn't optimized the way a dedicated GPS receiver would be. Do you know anyone with an actual handheld GPS that can cross-check/verify your coords for you?

:unsure:

I want it to be fun and a good cache for people to find ~ maybe I'm just over thinking it and should "just do it"

The fact that you're thinking a lot about your first hide is a very good sign. It likely means that you'll create a good cache. Take people somewhere interesting and be thoughtful about your cache container and people will thank you for your contribution.

Even small amounts of extra effort are recognized by the geocaching community.

;)

thanks!

My advice:

Please don't hide a cache using an iPhone.

And do not get upset when the review denies your cache. I put one out and had it denied twice because it was too close to the final for a puzzle cache each time. :D
Let's change that "when" to an "if", OK? :)

No I think When is the right word. If you hide a few you will have to re hide some. :P

We are in the process of researching before placing our first cache, also. I found a container that would fit the spot, but was concerned if it would leak. Placed it in the shower for 10 minutes to test it out. I have taken 5 readings on the coordinates. I read, then reread the guidelines regarding placement and what to write for the description. Learned there was a limit as to what I could say if I placed a cache by our church. I have thought: "Will they like the spot?" "Is it too easy?""Good coordinates?" We are to the point of taking the deep breath and going for it. :P

And do not get upset when the review denies your cache. I put one out and had it denied twice because it was too close to the final for a puzzle cache each time. :D
No I think When is the right word. If you hide a few you will have to re hide some. :P

Actually if is a better word. With proper planning and a good understanding of the guidelines, one need not ever have a cache denied.

*** This post reflects the opinion of it's author based on his experience with 50+ hides and 0 denials.

Actually if is a better word. With proper planning and a good understanding of the guidelines, one need not ever have a cache denied.

*** This post reflects the opinion of it's author based on his experience with 50+ hides and 0 denials.

Yup, the only reason anyone should ever have a cache denied is proximity to a multi or puzzle leg. Reading through and understanding the guidelines can make hiding a cache a pretty painless experience.

For my money, I'd rather see a cache in an interesting location than anything else. A park I didn't know about, some old ruins that are seldom seen, that kind of a thing. Of course the cache should be waterproof, but other than that, my criteria for a `GOOD' cache is one that takes me to a neat place I would have never otherwise know of.

We are in the process of researching before placing our first cache, also. I found a container that would fit the spot, but was concerned if it would leak. Placed it in the shower for 10 minutes to test it out. I have taken 5 readings on the coordinates. I read, then reread the guidelines regarding placement and what to write for the description. Learned there was a limit as to what I could say if I placed a cache by our church. I have thought: "Will they like the spot?" "Is it too easy?""Good coordinates?" We are to the point of taking the deep breath and going for it. :P

Hiding a cache is supposed to be fun. Forget the apprehension. Just do your best and and have fun.

Ooooh! That is a reason for concern! iPhones and other smartphones simply are not as good at providing coordinates. The GPS feature is just one of many sensors built in, and it isn't optimized the way a dedicated GPS receiver would be. Do you know anyone with an actual handheld GPS that can cross-check/verify your coords for you?

Do I have to correct every one of your Smart phone hate posts? Really! I usually respect your opinion quite highly, but your repetitive ignorance on this subject really grates on me.

I have heard the iPhone sucks, and I suspect they do (but since I have never used one, I wont speak authoritatively). A lot of smart phones do not suck. Mine (a HTC Touch Vogue) consistently gives +-3m in benchmark testing. Some Smartphones use the same GPS chipset as your high end handheld.

Please stop the uneducated hate!

Let's change that "when" to an "if", OK? :)No I think When is the right word. If you hide a few you will have to re hide some. :D

Yup, the only reason anyone should ever have a cache denied is proximity to a multi or puzzle leg. Reading through and understanding the guidelines can make hiding a cache a pretty painless experience.

That is what I refer to. There are a vast number of Puzzle Caches here on the west sideof Fort Worth. Some haven't been found in years. So any time I place a new cache near one of these Me and Lady SdrawkcaB Do all we can do to solve the puzzle. I think thats better than to complain about the Puzzle taking up space. :P That was my first though when I had to move three different caches because of Old Puzzles. Some of these puzzles are hard!!!

I posted this on another thread, but I think it is more fitting here.

I also am new to all of this. I have hidden three caches and have taken the time to track down the land owners or managers of the property to get permission to hide the caches.

I read a description in a cache placement where the person stated something like, "I passed a cemetery and couldn't help but stop by and hide a cache." This makes me think the person did not notify the land owner first. It makes me wonder if all locations require permission such as a cemetery or park.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by The green family

I also am new to all of this. I have hidden three caches and have taken the time to track down the land owners or managers of the property to get permission to hide the caches.

I read a description in a cache placement where the person stated something like, "I passed a cemetery and couldn't help but stop by and hide a cache." This makes me think the person did not notify the land owner first. It makes me wonder if all locations require permission such as a cemetery or park.

Thanks for your input.

This is a much-discussed topic on these forums. In fact, a google search on the phrase "adequate permission" limited to this website returned almost 3,000 hits:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforu...e+permission%22

To summarize: all caches must have "adequate permission," but that does not always mean contacting the land owner/manager to get "express permission." Some us the rule-of-thumb that if they could play frisbee on the land without needing to get permission, then they can geocache there without the need to get permission.

Thanks for your input.

This is a much-discussed topic on these forums. In fact, a google search on the phrase "adequate permission" limited to this website returned almost 3,000 hits:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforu...e+permission%22

To summarize: all caches must have "adequate permission," but that does not always mean contacting the land owner/manager to get "express permission." Some us the rule-of-thumb that if they could play frisbee on the land without needing to get permission, then they can geocache there without the need to get permission.

I personaly think you need to be a bit more stringant than that rule of thumb. The difference between frisbee and geocaching is that when placing a geocache, you leave something behind. Maybe "if you could play frisbee and hide it for playing later".