Endura Safari Freezing

Just got the Lowrance Endura Safari. If I power on with a sd card inserted, it comes on and freezes. The only way to fix it, is to pull the batteries. Is this normal? Do you have to insert the map card after power on each time? I have a 16gb Sandisk for mapping, and the Lowarance turn by turn sd card. Both have the same problem. I also have all current updates. Btw also freezes if you remove the usb cord without ejecting on the pc first. Kind of frustrating since there is nothing in the manual.

I have the Out&Back with a 2GB Kingston SD card in mine. I don't have any trouble powering on the unit with the SD card installed.

Just got the Lowrance Endura Safari. If I power on with a sd card inserted, it comes on and freezes. The only way to fix it, is to pull the batteries. Is this normal? Do you have to insert the map card after power on each time? I have a 16gb Sandisk for mapping, and the Lowarance turn by turn sd card. Both have the same problem. I also have all current updates. Btw also freezes if you remove the usb cord without ejecting on the pc first. Kind of frustrating since there is nothing in the manual.

I have the Out&Back with a 2GB Kingston SD card in mine. I don't have any trouble powering on the unit with the SD card installed.

Sandisk has HAD a minor reputation for issues with their cards from time to time, no telling now. Have you tried any other memory cards in your Endura? If not, please do. Try a blank card of each type also to see if you'll get a full boot up.

If it persists, can you please describe what the screen looks like when it freezes?

Do what you can to power up the unit and once stable, press and hold the "menu" button, this should bring up the installed updates on your Endura. To be safe, I'd advise trying to remove and reinstall the up dates one at a time, you may have a bum install on one of the updates.

We'll try to pick it up from there. Good luck.

Be safe.

N

Tevis Clan,

Send me a PM if you continue to have problems and we will get your unit exchanged for a new one.

You should be able to insert or remove the microSD either before you power it up or after, it should give you a message that it is loading data or that the card has been removed and then go back to normal operation.

Regarding the USB issue you do not need to eject it on the PC first, it is designed to be "Hot Swapable". What version of windows are you running?

This is what the about page shows... (thanks btw)

V1.2.81468 NA SAFARI

1.21, 1.1

I am using windows XP

The unit freezes on the start page, the picture of the tree. I tried letting it sit for half an hour with no results. Again, this is only with a sd card inserted. No problems with the card out. Again have two cards, a ScanDisk and the Lowrance turn by turn. Issue with both. As far as the usb issue of not ejecting first, this will freez on the connection screen.

I used it today for geocaching today. Seems to be working fine, except for the above issues.

Question, how do I uninstall the updates so I can reinstall?

V1.2.81468 NA SAFARI

1.21, 1.1

I am using windows XP

The unit freezes on the start page, the picture of the tree. I tried letting it sit for half an hour with no results. Again, this is only with a sd card inserted. No problems with the card out. Again have two cards, a ScanDisk and the Lowrance turn by turn. Issue with both. As far as the usb issue of not ejecting first, this will freez on the connection screen.

I used it today for geocaching today. Seems to be working fine, except for the above issues.

What do you mean by "freeze on the connection screen"?..When my endura is connected to the pc, the gps stays on a screen that shows a laptop with dotted line going to a green circle with usb symbol..That screen stays till I dissconnect it.

V1.2.81468 NA SAFARI

1.21, 1.1

I am using windows XP

sorry, double post

Edited by chachi44089

Had a similar experience with my Safari last weekend. Loaded a PQ (500), unplugged the usb cable and the "connected to computer" screen switched to the start up screen (tree picture) as it usually does and nothing more happened. Usually a message comes up at this point and lets me know the unit is sorting or configuring the data but nothing came up. After 10 minutes or so I pulled the batteries, powered up without issues and the PQ data was there. Took it caching and had no trouble, seems to perform as usual. Strange.

There was no data card in the unit, and after holding the menu key to pull up update info the display is: V1.2.81468 1.3, 1.1, 1.21

Still having this problem.

Tevis Clan - we will be releasing the 1.4 update on Monday 5/10, I would like you to run this update and see if it resolves this issue. If it does not, send me a PM and I will work on getting this unit replaced or repaired.

Will do. Thank You

Still having this problem.

Tevis Clan - we will be releasing the 1.4 update on Monday 5/10, I would like you to run this update and see if it resolves this issue. If it does not, send me a PM and I will work on getting this unit replaced or repaired.

Will do. Thank You

Where is the update?

Does anyone know if the update has been posted yet. Can you post a link?

Sorry to report that 1.4 isn't quite ready yet. I've been told it may be ready within the next day or so. Apparently the "tools" for incorporating all 3 of the prior updates into this new update aren't responding in the desired way.

Let's try to be patient just a day or so longer for the Lowrance team to get it right for us.

Yog, you'll be able to get the update at the Lowrance site, www.Lowrance.com, under "downloads", then look for your Endura type, and update 1.4. I'll post the notification if I find out first so everyone can be made aware of it with details on the corrections specified.

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

Still waiting on the update. Anyone know whats going on?

Yes, we have noticed a problem in testing the installer and did not want to release an incomplete product. We are trying to resolve these issues and hope to have the 1.4 update released soon. As soon as I know that it has been posted on the website I will post to this forum thread.

I was hoping this blog would’ve gone further in diagnosing the problem and give a reasonable solution. I purchased the Safari at a very reasonable price from a big box electronics store about a year and a half ago. Ever sense it freezes at the same window with the tree. The only thing I can do is pull a battery to shut it down and try it all over again. Typically after doing this for half an hour sometimes more it will load and I’ve had great success using the device however, if I turn it off, I have to go through the process all over again. Also about the 1.1 and 1.4 updates, I’m running windows 7 and anytime I try to update I get the “unsupported window”. Until now I’ve about gave up on the device and wrote it off as defective and use my I-FinderC for Geocaching. I’m hoping I can get the blog running again with some sound advice and a possible fix to this travesty.

Hi it sounds like you're having the same problem like I had with my Endura Out&Back with the unit freezing at the boot screen... A couple of things that I found out.

1. If you have an early firmware version and need to update to version 1.4 first, then to 1.5 and you're using Windows 7, you will get that "unsupported window" for some reason Lowrance didn't update 1.4 to run with Windows 7... I ended up using my old computer using Windows XP and it worked fine updating to 1.4 the went on and updated to 1.5 but I still had the same problem...

See if yours is having the same problem as mine... go to message #36

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=279044&st=0

I ended up talking with a customer service supervisor after being told it would cost me $159 to send it in. My problem was flash chip failure (which sound like what you have) so it wouldn't boot all the time (Not my problem)... I don't know what it is with these new units failing within the first few years. I was the second owner and the unit was less than a year old. These are the questions I asked...

How long is a GPS suppose to last?

Product Longevity

Product Reliability

I wouldn't buy a new GPS if it was only going to last less than 2 years, I have older ones that have lasted for years and still work.

I was hoping this blog would’ve gone further in diagnosing the problem and give a reasonable solution. I purchased the Safari at a very reasonable price from a big box electronics store about a year and a half ago. Ever sense it freezes at the same window with the tree. The only thing I can do is pull a battery to shut it down and try it all over again. Typically after doing this for half an hour sometimes more it will load and I’ve had great success using the device however, if I turn it off, I have to go through the process all over again. Also about the 1.1 and 1.4 updates, I’m running windows 7 and anytime I try to update I get the “unsupported window”. Until now I’ve about gave up on the device and wrote it off as defective and use my I-FinderC for Geocaching. I’m hoping I can get the blog running again with some sound advice and a possible fix to this travesty.

I am sorry that I was not aware of this old thread. Endura Expert was an employee of Lowrance until spring of 2011, when he left the company. He was very helpful in ways that I wish I could be. On July 30, 2011 I started a new topic,Lowrance Endura Support, hoping that it would attract the attention of Endura owners and that it would be used for issues relating to the Sierra, Safari and Out&Back.

Here is the disclosure regarding my role as Lowrance Lady.

*************************************************************************************************

Lowrance Lady here! I am not an employee of Lowrance, but am a long time geocacher and now a new member of the Lowrance Pro Staff with responsibility to support geocaching related forums and events.

My mission on the Geocaching Forum is to:

•reinforce Lowrance's focus on geocaching

•assist owners of Lowrance Outdoor GPS handheld devices, (i.e. Endura, Sierra, Safari and Out&Back,) with timely and accurate support and responses to forum posts

•share information on product support and enhancements, such as the recent Endura 1.5 software upgrade

I have been geocaching for 4 years, personally have over 1200 found caches, have created 13 new caches, and have been very active in the caching community during that time. I hope that this experience, my customer service background, and the direct connection I can provide to Lowrance technical support and product management will complement each other on this site.

I look forward to being a strong and positive contributor and resource for all Lowrance related questions and information.

************************************************************************************************

So onto your concerns...Usually I have to either get clarification or ask questions to get to a resolution.

Unfortunately I am going to be limited with what I can do, since your unit is out of warranty. But if you are willing to try a few things we will see if we can fix this.

What version software does your unit have. When your unit is on, hold down the menu button for about 4 sec. the about screen should appear. What do the 2 lines under Lowrance Endura read?

As GTOJerry said, you will need to upgrade 1.4 on an older Windows O/S. So if you can use someone else's computer to download the 1.4, then you can download 1.5.1 on your computer.

I hope we can get you back to using your Out&Back.

Penny

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct.

Hello Miss Penny,

I am one of Csapper7's regular cache partners and I currently have possession of his Endura Safari that is giving him problems. I have managed to get it updated to the 1.5.1 firmware, but unfortunately we still have the boot screen freeze up. The info you requested on the unit is:

V1.5.95881 NA SAFARI

1.5.1a, 1.5, 1.4, 1.1

NHH01C-30-G1-234

We have attempted a soft reset, but not a hard reset at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

I am sorry to have taken so long to reply to this post. My husband and I went on a 2 week, electronic free vacation. We only took his "unsmart" phone, a camera and 2 GPSrs. (1 Nuvi and 1 Endura)

I wish I had good news for you, but, sadly, there is no cure for this freeze issue. Since it is still occurring after upgrading to 1.5.1, it is a problem in the hardware.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

Hello Miss Penny,

I am one of Csapper7's regular cache partners and I currently have possession of his Endura Safari that is giving him problems. I have managed to get it updated to the 1.5.1 firmware, but unfortunately we still have the boot screen freeze up. The info you requested on the unit is:

V1.5.95881 NA SAFARI

1.5.1a, 1.5, 1.4, 1.1

NHH01C-30-G1-234

We have attempted a soft reset, but not a hard reset at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

I am sorry to have taken so long to reply to Sneaky J's post. My husband and I went on a 2 week, electronic free vacation. We only took his "unsmart" phone, a camera and 2 GPSrs. (1 Nuvi and 1 Endura)

I wish I had good news for you, but, sadly, there is no cure for this freeze issue. Since it is still occurring after upgrading to 1.5.1, it is a problem in the hardware. I will be talking to my buddies at Lowrance on Tuesday, so if there is any new info I will contact you immediately.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura correct.

I am sorry to have taken so long to reply to this post. My husband and I went on a 2 week, electronic free vacation. We only took his "unsmart" phone, a camera and 2 GPSrs. (1 Nuvi and 1 Endura)

I wish I had good news for you, but, sadly, there is no cure for this freeze issue. Since it is still occurring after upgrading to 1.5.1, it is a problem in the hardware.

Lowrance Pro Staffer, just trying to get the facts on Endura straight

Hello Miss Penny,

V1.5.95881 NA SAFARI

1.5.1a, 1.5, 1.4, 1.1

NHH01C-30-G1-234

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks for your efforts.