Oh those Bloggers

Replace the caches with Member Only caches and they'll survive. Just sorta cheats the newbs.

That would probably be a benefit, but I feel confident this whacko wouldn't have a problem ponying up 30 bucks to keep their crusade on track.

Hide a few evil puzzles there, too. :D

I think y'all are missing a terrific opportunity up there. If it were me, I'd hide a series of caches dedicated to her. The Forest Defender series!

Don't put any TB's in them, knowing they'll be muggled. But hide a bunch in the woods, name them after her, leave notes in each one thanking her for increasing the challenge and popularity of the geocaching in your area. Or telling her how far you drove in your SUV to get there.

And then make a whole sub-game out of seeing who can rush out and find them before she can. Wholesome fun for the whole family!

If you can't beat 'em, mess with 'em.

Auntie Weasel, you are just wonderful. : )

I think y'all are missing a terrific opportunity up there. If it were me, I'd hide a series of caches dedicated to her. The Forest Defender series!

Don't put any TB's in them, knowing they'll be muggled. But hide a bunch in the woods, name them after her, leave notes in each one thanking her for increasing the challenge and popularity of the geocaching in your area. Or telling her how far you drove in your SUV to get there.

And then make a whole sub-game out of seeing who can rush out and find them before she can. Wholesome fun for the whole family!

Auntie Weasel, you are just wonderful. : )

^ +1 This is the best, and by far the funniest idea I have seen posted in a while!! Hope the blogger signed up for instant notification!!!

Maybe this "genius" blogger could do the sensitive earth a favor and take themselves off of it, because I'm sure the food they eat, the water they drink, the bike or car they use at some point has polluted the earth. It is self righteous people like this that have to preach to everyone else about how they are destroying the earth, but at the same time, took the swag and threw it in a dumpster to sit in a landfill for centuries.

And as far as the kids that geocache, way to go genius! Why not just sucker punch the easter bunny and drop kick santa in front of them. Now the kids that were all excited to go find those caches will be left with nothing but a disappointing failure. They should send their psychiatrist bills to this know-it-all so he can pay for their broken dreams feelings of failure because you had to be the guardian of Mother Earth.

Fantastic and devious. :D Maybe that serves for a perfect opportunity to cross paths with the elusive forest defender.

You Mame, are a genious! If you could get the park ranger, the local reviewer and the letterboxers all on board, you could essentialy shut this foo- down using what would effectivly be a denial of service attack.

The letterboxers could start by "placing" hundreds of fake ones. After a month or so, jump on over to AntieWeasle's plan. Man that could rely bung this freek show up!

Anyone who lives in the area should realy get started on this project ASAP.

Why is walking up to the cache to take pictures (and remove it) any different that cachers on the hunt?

That was my first thought as well...but then I realized this guy is such an eco-angel, he just floats above the ground.

The thing I love about these eco-nuts is that they truly believe that through normal use, humans can "destroy" nature. I try to Leave No Trace because I find geotrails and destruction to be unsightly and against my geocaching/woodsmans ethics but I'm under no delusions. No matter how down-trodden a trail becomes, if left alone, nature will quickly reclaim it. In this regard, we really are a flea on an elephants back...we're not going to hurt the elephant.

The other thing I've always wondered about was the idea that certain places or things needed to be "preserved" forever. This planet is constantly evolving. Entire islands have fallen into the ocean while new ones are being formed today as we live and breath. Entire forests have been devastated by wildfires only to grow back. Mount St. Helens was a devastating volcanic eruption and for all the damage it did, the affected area around it isn't a barren wasteland. Mount Everest will one day be gone, flattened by the effects of erosion and time. Nature is far stronger than we and far more ruthless. She's also far more resiliant.

Or maybe I'm full of baloney.

Some of my favorite caches are placed in Ghost Towns. Most of them, while you can tell a town was once there...you have to look really hard to notice. Mother nature does a good job of taking over once humans leave.

The whole fallacy of we are destroying the earth really annoys me....I'm very sure the earth will destroy us if we get to be too big of a problem.

I also agree with some of the other posters, Geocaching has only made me appreciate nature more than I did previously.

An interesting approach would be to file a complaint against his blog with blogspot. They have guidelines about illegal activity being posted in blogs and I'd think that if the cachers had permission to place the caches in these areas then removing them is likely illegal/unlawful in some way (theft of property at the least, I'd think). This would seem to fall into the same category as those who blog about spray painting SUVs and things like that, and those blogs have been pulled for the same reason.

The other issue, that I haven't addressed on the subscription page, is that some folks have become targets by anonymous troublemakers that like to destroy individual's caches. Subscription only caches will allow you to audit your cache to see who looked at your cache page and when. In addition, a certain amount of anonymity goes away when you subscribe, so troublemakers will either not bother subscribing or be scared to subscribe since they are no longer anonymous.

I already mentioned this in the GROPed thread. But if you make these caches PM, the Maggot not only had to pay $30, but also, when they look at your page, you can tell, and, because they have payed with PP or CC, there is a link to their real world ID.

Other than that, I think a nano power trail in that park would be in order (good luck convincing the Park Ranger though).

Other than that, I think a nano power trail in that park would be in order (good luck convincing the Park Ranger though).

Actually if you could show that there wouldnt be damage done to the forest the ranger might let you. I would keep them on clearly marked trails that interconnect so you could just have them running all through the forest for a day trying to get them all. Just dont put out what size they are, and make it a mixture of micro and nano sizes. That way they will be searching hard all day. I could probably create a formal letter if you want to give to the ranger. They are very easy to create.

Actually if you could show that there wouldnt be damage done to the forest the ranger might let you. I would keep them on clearly marked trails that interconnect so you could just have them running all through the forest for a day trying to get them all. Just dont put out what size they are, and make it a mixture of micro and nano sizes. That way they will be searching hard all day. I could probably create a formal letter if you want to give to the ranger. They are very easy to create.

...and with them out there all day, just sit and wait for the guy/girl running around like a chicken wearing a hemp shirt that says something about "mother earth"... :)

...and with them out there all day, just sit and wait for the guy/girl running around like a chicken wearing a hemp shirt that says something about "mother earth"... :)

Exactly be waiting for them at the very end. That way when they finish you can have an actual photo of them to post up everywhere if you are so inclined. Or you could just tell them that for every one they took you will plant 10 more for the world to find. Just make sure you stay on the trails that are clearly marked, and let the rangers know. I am sure the rangers wouldnt care if you are bringing people into the park. Especially if they have ot pay for parking like some of the parks here in California do.

They probably drive a suburban with a "live green" bumper sticker on it. Those always crack me up.

Wouldn't it be a blast, that for every cache this person has stolen, the cache owners replace the cache, in exactly the same spot. I bet that would drive the thief nutso. LOL

The person has in my opinion also slandered some folks, and reporting blog abuse wouldn't be unheard of or unwarranted.

Wouldn't it be a blast, that for every cache this person has stolen, the cache owners replace the cache, in exactly the same spot. I bet that would drive the thief nutso. LOL

I think it would be more fun to re-enable the listing but not put a new container out. If this Eco-Angel is watching the listing, I'm sure she'll rush right back out there to once again save the planet. It might catch some honest cachers in the crossfire but I know it'd make me smile to think about this saint out searching for that "earth destroying" phantom cache :)

Or maybe you could hang a trash bag in the spot with a note that says as long as they're saving the world, would they mind filling the bag up with garbage and dropping it into the nearest trash bin?

Or even just a note that says "Smile for the camera!"

Ignoring cache maggots might be the wisest choice...but not always the most fun :)

This person is clearly delusional. "Unleashed dogs can do a lot of harm in only a moment off trail." Ha. Bears leave honest to god swaths of destruction in their wakes. I think I've only ever seen 2 caches where there was more damage done than a typical deer bed. Nature isn't in the least bit gentle.

On the plus side, this woman actually sounds like a believer. You just encourage griefers by engaging them, but believers ...well, it's a simple matter to get under their skin. You can totally mess with her.

I also liked her little imaginary conversation with a ranger. That's some road-rage type self righteousness there.

The other thing that always strikes me as odd about these people is how they go off on the swag. "It's all just junk!". I mean really,what do they really expect? The cache is going to be stocked with a range of fine jewelery? To be honest, most of those caches looked to be in excellent shape, with better than average swag. In a way that's too bad.

Sure wish I lived out that way! I would have located her by now. Some how, some way, even if I had to camp out and watch the cache for a few days. :) I'd know where she buys her gas, where she shops, what time she goes to work. It's not stalking, your a new blogger poperatzie , investigator, photo journalist. She could make the front page of many local papers if you do it right. If the case/investigation was done right, she's be embarrassed to get a Veggie burger at the drive threw on her way home from work. Even the check out lady at Wal-Mart would be smirking at her. Send a photo and story to all the local networks. Am I the only one who sees the headline?

..... This just in .... Local basket case just released from the loony bin, family is concerned for her welfare do to a new issue she has developed. It is now presumed that she is hoarding thousands of geocaches in her home and storage sheds around town. If you spot her, please stay away from her, she is mentally unstable.

Just for starters anyway. Peg her apartment door as the new "Ding-Dong-Door-Ditch" invisible cache ... No log to sign, just knock on the door and run. You'll know you were at the right door if you read about it in her blog :)

Examine your history, if you don't have CITO Icon in your finds or hides portfolio, you ought not to be so critical. The subject of geolitter is not new. In our local area we have relatively few caches that have gone toxic through inattention, but they are there. Our hiders seem to be cognizant of sensitive areas and even senbibilities, but there have been a few who have come and gone whose hides were even offensive within the community. It is up to us to dispell the nonsensical notions of persons such as this that come up frequently, by showing care and responsibility.

More than likely, this person has a bone to pick with Geocaching or the geocachers in the area.

I've seen similar with someone who was actually messing with other people's livelihood because of a grudge she formed when she was caught doing something wrong. There's currently a pending lawsuit.

So someone like this may or may not go away. It depends on their mental health and their commitment to the grudge. I really doubt this person is that affectionate towards the environment.

Examine your history, if you don't have CITO Icon in your finds or hides portfolio, you ought not to be so critical. The subject of geolitter is not new. In our local area we have relatively few caches that have gone toxic through inattention, but they are there. Our hiders seem to be cognizant of sensitive areas and even senbibilities, but there have been a few who have come and gone whose hides were even offensive within the community. It is up to us to dispell the nonsensical notions of persons such as this that come up frequently, by showing care and responsibility.

What this person is doing has nothing to do with "toxic through inattention". This person is stealing caches just because they don't like WHERE they are. They are in a public forest that this person has claimed as their own and want people to play by his/her rules. I don't think it matters how good the cache is or how enviromentally friendly it was hidden, this person doesn't want it in their forest.

That person is far from alone, and in my view unless we are on top of our game, we will engender more of the same as we go from a small community that flies under the radar to a large community that is know by the totality of our practices. Recent conversation with a Park Ranger educated me to the idea that we are not welcomed with open arms in all parks, and a recent CITO , in another instance, made us into the greatest thing since sliced bread in the view of another beleaguered park manager.

That person is far from alone,

You would be correct. I googled the name forest defenders last night and came up with a lot. If this person is really part of that group they are eco-crazies. They have photos posted like a badge of honor showing people being arrested at rally's, and setting up road blocks with vans on their side so people cant drive on the road. They are seriously crazy. So I say just play with them, and have fun with it. Enjoy bringing them countless hours of torment.

You would be correct. I googled the name forest defenders last night and came up with a lot. If this person is really part of that group they are eco-crazies. They have photos posted like a badge of honor showing people being arrested at rally's, and setting up road blocks with vans on their side so people cant drive on the road. They are seriously crazy. So I say just play with them, and have fun with it. Enjoy bringing them countless hours of torment.

These people are strong in their "fanaticism" The same "defenders" are Eco Terrorists that will, and have BURNT DOWN new homes in areas that they believe no one should live in. Here is a good video from break.com

HIPPIES

These people are strong in their "fanaticism" The same "defenders" are Eco Terrorists that will, and have BURNT DOWN new homes in areas that they believe no one should live in. Here is a good video from break.com

HIPPIES

Because burning down a house is no at all harmful to the environment.

It may be time to report them to the authorities as not only are they destroying property but now the tone has increased: "The log starts in 2007 and is crammed with names. Yep. I'm studying them all." What do they intend to with the names? Email you with threats or come to your house?

I reported them to bloghost also.

On a more positive note, without Geocaching we would have never found:

- the dinosaur tracks in a rock beside a stream,

- an artesian well,

- the park overlooking an island on the North Saskatchewan River that had fur trading posts and was involved with the NorthWest Rebellion,

- two-story sand dunes near Leader, Saskatchewan,

- the churches and cemeteries of the only African-American settlements in Alberta and Saskatchewan,

- Xena, the only "X" in the Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad alphabet naming system,

- the Ministik Bird Sanctuary,

- Leduc #1, where oil was discovered in 1947 that started the Alberta Oil boom,

- we could go on and on and on and that is without discussing the health benefits of all the hiking that we have been doing in the past three years.

Thanks to everyone who has placed caches in all these interesting places!

It is interesting to contrast this attitude to the situation here in Finland, where the traditional everyman's rights mean it is quite hard to limit access. In some national parks there are limitations on hiking, but these are special cases. Of course there is no automatic permission to leave geocaches, but the general attitude seems to make things easier.

Its not the Government here in the US its just these people think that they control all of the environment, and that we have no right to be there. These people even think that the Government have no right not be there either. They are just nuts.

What is to keep someone from getting one of those really tiny cameras and placing it right by the cache and catching this idiot in the act?

Bushnell Trophy Cam Digital Trail Camera with Night Vision

5 Megapixels

Infrared Motion Sensor

Extended Battery Life

LED Night Vision Flash

Compact Design

SD Card Slot

Our Price :$ 199.00

Free Shipping (USA)

In Stock

599290.jpg

And what is to stop the miscreant from absconding with that at the same time they are acquiring used cache containers? Hell, they could even post picture of themselves saving the world one tupperware container at a time.

Ummm, camoflage?? :)B)

They have photos posted like a badge of honor showing people being arrested at rally's, and setting up road blocks with vans on their side so people cant drive on the road. They are seriously crazy.

They're essentially the PETA of "trees"...

So I say just play with them, and have fun with it. Enjoy bringing them countless hours of torment.

I agree to this. You have to keep in mind that even though they claim to be "a lot", even if they are, they're member-growth rate is far (and I can't emphasize "far" enough) smaller than ours. If we just keep enjoying our game, we'll end up putting more Caches than they can remove.

It's just ironic how they're "Geocaching" in order to find some of the Caches... :)

HIPPIES

I don't know what the link to hippies was supposed to show, since no video appears at that link, but if you are trying to tie hippies to eco-terrorists then you must totally misunderstand the hippie!

Not that there are many hippies left today, but 'live and let live' was one of the foundations of our era. A hippie might leave a doobie as swag but he won't steal the cache!

Either that or what's left of the hippie life has changed dramatically in the years I've been straight...in which case they're no longer hippies but something different. :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

They have photos posted like a badge of honor showing people being arrested at rally's, and setting up road blocks with vans on their side so people cant drive on the road. They are seriously crazy.

Mess with both groups at the same time. Roast your dead animals on a campfire. Who wants a charcoal broiled burger?

Mess with both groups at the same time. Roast your dead animals on a campfire. Who wants a charcoal broiled burger?

You just made my whole weekend! :)

HIPPIES

I don't know what the link to hippies was supposed to show, since no video appears at that link, but if you are trying to tie hippies to eco-terrorists then you must totally misunderstand the hippie!

Not that there are many hippies left today, but 'live and let live' was one of the foundations of our era. A hippie might leave a doobie as swag but he won't steal the cache!

Either that or what's left of the hippie life has changed dramatically in the years I've been straight...in which case they're no longer hippies but something different. :)

Im not sure why the link didnt work for you ,, Its still working fine (right from this post) and showing folks crying hysterically over trees

Edited by sabrefan7

Just a few minutes ago a news report about geocaching and people destroying caches aired, quoting that very website. Took me by surprise.

I googled. Interesting.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Geocachers...s-95281104.html

and another article

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100531/...&news01ad=1

Probably the worst thing that has happened to this sport. News organizations feed off the ideas of others, so we'll see more of these articles that will do nothing but promote the agenda of this miscreant. That will only promote her previously obscure website and attract more of these wackos. And of course next will come the "investigative reporters" who will do everything they can to paint the sport in a bad light and exaggerate the issues.

No, I'm not normally a paranoid person but I know how the media works. Just watch.

Just a few minutes ago a news report about geocaching and people destroying caches aired, quoting that very website. Took me by surprise.

I googled. Interesting.

and another article

Probably the worst thing that has happened to this sport. News organizations feed off the ideas of others, so we'll see more of these articles that will do nothing but promote the agenda of this miscreant. That will only promote her previously obscure website and attract more of these wackos. And of course next will come the "investigative reporters" who will do everything they can to paint the sport in a bad light and exaggerate the issues.

No, I'm not normally a paranoid person but I know how the media works. Just watch.

Oh no. So how do we protect our caches? Maybe more multis and puzzles, even simple ones should deter most of them.

I googled. Interesting.

and another article

Oh no. So how do we protect our caches? Maybe more multis and puzzles, even simple ones should deter most of them.

For what it's worth, those storied did paint the cache maggots in a bad light.

I googled. Interesting.

and another article

For what it's worth, those storied did paint the cache maggots in a bad light.

I suppose. Especially the online article, which mentions how we have permission for the State Park caches. Both reports are from Yesterday, 5/31. The online article talks about both Geocaching and Letterboxing. And indeed she has hit up many more Letterboxes than Geocaches. The TV news report is Geocaching specific.

I hope a Letterboxer or Geocacher didn't approach these news organizations.

I saw this on one of my local groups :)

http://protectsensitiveecosystems.blogspot.com/

We all need to be careful of our surroundings and I advocate the practice of LNT (leave no trace)

But please lets not go to far here folks :unsure:

An article about this has now appeared in the "Everett Herald" newspaper it has been on KIRO talk radio, and now it is on KING-channel 5 and on NW Cable News. I sure hope that somehow we can catch this so-called "Forest Defender."

It is always a good idea to LNT and do CITO as needed.