24k topo maps vs city naviagator

Hello everyone. I just purchase a garmin 76cx and love it. I was reading in another topic that the 24k topo maps are routable. I was planning on purchasing both the 24k topo maps for the southeast as well as city navigator. My question - Is there any difference in the street detail and poi's between the two programs. I am wondering if I would be wasting my money to buy both of them. Thanks for the help.

My CN has a lot more POI than my Topo 24k ,but I am one version behind the current one though and I think my Topo 24k has better back country detail than the CN.If you know how to do it you could you can find almost anything for free....oops :ph34r:

As far as purchasing one or both, I'm surprised no one has already pointed out the obvious...

- if you limit your travels to an area covered by one 24k Topo region, then buy that single 24k Topo

- if you plan to travel across the US, purchase City Navigator and download FREE Topo from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com

Thank you for all your help. One more question. My Garmin 76cx is not custom map capable. Is there a way to use the topo map from gpsfiledepot on my gps? Im sure someone has figured out how to make it work.

"Custom map' is confusing. It had been used for years by indepenent map authors producing more detailed maps than Garmin offered. Garmin recently started using the term for imagery, of the land's surface or paper maps, which one could view on the CO, OR & DK units. The vector mapsets will work fine on your GPSr.

Edited by snowfleurys