Urban geocaching by bicycle

I just got back from a business trip in Montpellier and spent a day in Barcelona on the way home. I spent several hours walking around Montpellier on a couple of different days and found a bunch of caches while exploring the city. When I checked into my hotel in Barcelona I noticed a lot of flyers for bicycle rentals so I rented a bike for a day to explore the city and do some geocaching. While I typically prefer geocaching in rural settings I really liked doing it by bicycle. I was able to cover a lot more area than if I walked and can't imagine trying to geocache in a busy urban environment like Barcelona with a car. I only found 6 caches but there were a lot that I did not attempt or only gave a brief search before going on to the next spot. Urban geocaching by bicycle is a great way to go.

I just got back from a business trip in Montpellier and spent a day in Barcelona on the way home. I spent several hours walking around Montpellier on a couple of different days and found a bunch of caches while exploring the city. When I checked into my hotel in Barcelona I noticed a lot of flyers for bicycle rentals so I rented a bike for a day to explore the city and do some geocaching. While I typically prefer geocaching in rural settings I really liked doing it by bicycle. I was able to cover a lot more area than if I walked and can't imagine trying to geocache in a busy urban environment like Barcelona with a car. I only found 6 caches but there were a lot that I did not attempt or only gave a brief search before going on to the next spot. Urban geocaching by bicycle is a great way to go.

its the way i do it since i don't have a car. you just have to pick and choose which ones to do since you're not going to be doing hundreds in a day.

I bring my mtn bike to work with me and do both types of caches. I try to get out at least 2-3 times a week like this and it makes for great exercise.

Nothing says hurry up like spending that extra 5 minutes on the last cache only to find yourself running late back to the office. Talk about incentive to push yourself and get in a workout.

It's also best on a moutain bike, in my opinion. Racing bikes with narrow wheels seem to take a lot of damage. I have a Mongoose with quick release front/rear wheels as well as front/rear disc brakes. It is easy to stow away in the car trunk, and assembles in a minute or so without needing a bike carrier.

I prefer hybrid bikes for urban caching for two reasons : they're lighter than mountain bikes but more rugged than racers / road bikes, and because I have a hybrid but not a mountain bike :anibad:

Edited by Chrysalides

I have rented bikes in several different cities. A few weeks ago I rented a bike in midtown Manhattan, rode across Central Park, took the bike on the subway up to the tip of Manhattan Island, and cached my way back towards Manhattan until I just got worn on and hopped on the subway back to my original stop.

It didn't work out quite the way I planned it but I had a blast!

I am training to do a 150mile bike ride (5th year to ride it!) and i figured i'd train again while picking up caches :ph34r:

I have nabbed a few in the city, but the rest in a small town of 5000 and the outskirts of that.

I like it, i can't see myself driving around in a car to pick up cache...

That would make a boring date too... :)

Today was my first long day of caching by bicycle. It wasn't exactly urban but it was a lot of fun and so much better than driving and parking and walking, driving and parking and walking, driving and parking and walking. Added 27 smileys to my collection and didn't burn up a tank of gas.

I don't know if this will encourage me to do more urban caching, but I'm certainly going to be doing a lot more caching by bike. I have a hybrid model that I inherited from my father. He did a lot of long distance riding in his later years.

I'm finding that I really enjoy caching from a bike. However, it is not best for all urban caching. I find it very good when the cache density is high. Driving just 1,000 feet is hardly worth it and biking is much faster than walking. I also like a bike when parking may be a problem.

I'm finding I prefer a mountain bike or hybrid to a road bike. It may not be as easy to make it go, but it is much more durable.

I also find that the bike gives me "cover" while searching. I can lean it against something and then paw through that something without attracting attention. I can also place it so as to interfere with peoples' view of me when I'm looking low. It beats the heck out of tying my shoes.

It's also best on a moutain bike, in my opinion. Racing bikes with narrow wheels seem to take a lot of damage. I have a Mongoose with quick release front/rear wheels as well as front/rear disc brakes. It is easy to stow away in the car trunk, and assembles in a minute or so without needing a bike carrier.

I prefer hybrid bikes for urban caching for two reasons : they're lighter than mountain bikes but more rugged than racers / road bikes, and because I have a hybrid but not a mountain bike :P

My road bike is 20 pounds, my mtn bike is 21, so weight wasn't an issue for me to decide. I went with the GPS mount on my mountain bike because it's a lot more versatile and can take more of a beating.

I also find that the bike gives me "cover" while searching. I can lean it against something and then paw through that something without attracting attention. I can also place it so as to interfere with peoples' view of me when I'm looking low. It beats the heck out of tying my shoes.

It provides great cover: You can always find lots of things to pretend to adjust on a bicycle!

I'm finding that I really enjoy caching from a bike. However, it is not best for all urban caching. I find it very good when the cache density is high. Driving just 1,000 feet is hardly worth it and biking is much faster than walking. I also like a bike when parking may be a problem.

I'm finding I prefer a mountain bike or hybrid to a road bike. It may not be as easy to make it go, but it is much more durable.

I thought that it was probably a lot easier to cache in Barcelona by bike rather than from a motor vehicle. Parking seemed to be hard to find (and expensive) although most of the caches were not that close to each other so finding a cache then driving 1000' to the next wasn't that much of an issue. With all the one way streets though, it may be 1000' as the crow flies but 3x that if you're driving.

I also took advantage of the cover provide by the bicycle and "adjusted the chain" frequently. In some cases, I was just able to lean the bike up against a wall, reach past the bike to grab the container, then kneel down to "adjust the chain"/"sign the log" then replace the container as I was grabbing the bike again.