Pocket Queries

But not for caches along a route it seems. The PQ set up different and it defaults to 500 max.

And PQs > 1000 *plus the my finds PQ irrespective of number of caches* are downloads only, not emailed. Its only the my finds change that I'm slightly irked by, as all of my PQs return less than 500 caches anyway so won't be affected, but I manage my PQs through GSAK with an automated download.

But praise be to TPTB for making changes which the community wants. Just because it doesn't fit with my way of working doesn't mean that it isn't a welcome improvement for the vast majority of users.

Matt

And PQs > 1000 *plus the my finds PQ irrespective of number of caches* are downloads only, not emailed. Its only the my finds change that I'm slightly irked by, as all of my PQs return less than 500 caches anyway so won't be affected, but I manage my PQs through GSAK with an automated download.

But praise be to TPTB for making changes which the community wants. Just because it doesn't fit with my way of working doesn't mean that it isn't a welcome improvement for the vast majority of users.

Matt

There is talk on the other side of the forums that GS and Clyde might work out a way to get re-automated...

As there seems to be a good working relationship between them. :anibad:

Great 1000 Pocket queries. Unfortunately they are completely useless as you have to go and manually download them and transfer to GSAK. What a wasted effort. Having combined all my multipart queries into 1000 bites instead of 500, I now have to change them all back into 500's for them to be any use.

2 bricks short of a full load

Edit to say this reply was to Auntie W... But thanks for the info DFX

..... Strange.... we now have a tab on the PQ page for PQs ready for download.....

All today's PQs came as normal then the new 1000 cache one pointed us at the PQ page

We will see but I hope it's just a mistake

Edited by fuzzybears

..... Strange.... we now have a tab on the PQ page for PQs ready for download.....

All today's PQs came as normal then the new 1000 cache one pointed us at the PQ page

We will see but I hope it's just a mistake

no mistake! unfortunately.

I ran a 1000-cache pq and I downloaded it to my desktop, but I can't figure out what to do with it now...Help!!!

I use Firefox, Windows XP, and GSAK.

you probably need to rename the file to have a .zip extension.

I actually did try that, but then when I tried to open it to extract the files, it kept asking for a password...

I ran a 1000-cache pq and I downloaded it to my desktop, but I can't figure out what to do with it now...Help!!!

I use Firefox, Windows XP, and GSAK.

you probably need to rename the file to have a .zip extension.

I actually did try that, but then when I tried to open it to extract the files, it kept asking for a password...

Okay, I downloaded it, adding .zip to the file name, and while I can't drag n drop it to my Garmin, I can upload it into GSAK. Not quite as fast, but doable.

Okay, I downloaded it, adding .zip to the file name, and while I can't drag n drop it to my Garmin, I can upload it into GSAK. Not quite as fast, but doable.

You shouldn't need to rename any files. It will either be a compressed zip file or a gpx file. A gpx file can be dropped straight on the Garmin, a zip file needs to be uncompressed first.

GSAK however can take either a gpx file or a zip file directly.

You shouldn't need to rename any files. It will either be a compressed zip file or a gpx file. A gpx file can be dropped straight on the Garmin, a zip file needs to be uncompressed first.

GSAK however can take either a gpx file or a zip file directly.

I don't know why (I'm not a computer guru), but I do have to add the extension...otherwise it downloads as an unidentified file. Maybe a bug in the programming...

the keyword here is shouldn't. :anibad:

if you check the "include name in PQ download" checkbox in the PQ, and if you have a space in your PQ name, then you'll miss out in the extension. a bug that will probably be fixed soon.

the keyword here is shouldn't. :D

if you check the "include name in PQ download" checkbox in the PQ, and if you have a space in your PQ name, then you'll miss out in the extension. a bug that will probably be fixed soon.

I always ZIP them up, and the file name includes a space for some of the ones I download. It works on my machine ;)B):anibad:

Not a big deal at all. :anibad:

Depends how you use them - for me it's a pain in the bum. My system is fully automated, I have 5 PQs arrive each day, dealt with by GSAK. If I take them over 500 I will now have to deal with it manually.

Even worse, whereas before if they accidentally strayed over 500 I would get the first 500 plus a warning from GSAK, now I won't get the file at all :-(

Edited to say they've also made a change to the content. I post process the files with my own code to extract more information than GSAK uses, and todays import reported some issues, they've added a new event type "Lost and Found Event Cache". Fortunately only took a couple of minutes to fix.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Hmm just ran three PQ's prepping for tomorrow; all had to be downloaded off the site as had more than 500 cache details. The first two downloaded without an issue... the third disappeared when I clicked it (exactly the same procedure as the first two) with a message appearing: "that PQ is no longer available"??? WHAT?? any suggestions? Re-ran the PQ and the same thing happened again!

Just in case anybody missed it in the other forum, or hasn't read about it in the newsletter or online elsewhere - PQ's now return 1000 caches rather than a mere 500. :anibad:B):D

It would be even nicer if it worked properly.

My "home" query returns 500 caches. If I ask it to return 1000 caches it only actually returns 671, one of which is in an obscure part of the US. The first time I previewed it the odd cache was in Virginia (3500 or so miles from home) the second time it threw in a virtual in Oregon.

Not sure why the 330 caches are missing from the query, or how it thinks a cache in the US is within 100 miles of London.

Team, Tisri,

Are you quoting results from the map display, list display or the contents of the GPX file?

I too am seeing odd ball caches on the map, but the list view returns what I'm expecting. I've not yet recieved a PQ1K to be able to confirm what is exported to file.

Team, Tisri,

Are you quoting results from the map display, list display or the contents of the GPX file?

I too am seeing odd ball caches on the map, but the list view returns what I'm expecting. I've not yet recieved a PQ1K to be able to confirm what is exported to file.

I'm using the map preview - it always used to give me an overview of what's in the file.

Just tried out my new PQ1K and it appears that the odd ball caches are NOT included and I get the full amount of caches as expected :ph34r: . So for me it is only the map preview that is wrong.

I downloaded the 1000 PQ and found everything appeared fine aside from the inclusion of an additional waypoint somewhere in the vicinity of South Africa. Not sure if it's an errant inclusion or one of the caches put something silly in there.

Odd that the preview doesn't actually preview the query, but I can use my existing 500 PQ for that.

It's also a shame the email saying it's ready for download doesn't give a direct link to the file, so I don't need to click so many times to find it and download it. It just seems like another step to stop me from grabbing it within an email client, and meaning I have to use up more of GS's bandwidth in a way that doesn't benefit anybody.

Just tried out my new PQ1K and it appears that the odd ball caches are NOT included and I get the full amount of caches as expected :unsure: . So for me it is only the map preview that is wrong.

I downloaded the 1000 PQ and found everything appeared fine aside from the inclusion of an additional waypoint somewhere in the vicinity of South Africa. Not sure if it's an errant inclusion or one of the caches put something silly in there.

Odd that the preview doesn't actually preview the query, but I can use my existing 500 PQ for that.

It's also a shame the email saying it's ready for download doesn't give a direct link to the file, so I don't need to click so many times to find it and download it. It just seems like another step to stop me from grabbing it within an email client, and meaning I have to use up more of GS's bandwidth in a way that doesn't benefit anybody.

My additional cache is in the USA! West cost do not know why but all my 1000 find PQ's include a cache in California!

Somewhat irritated to find that the "my finds" PQ I requested last night didn't arrive as an email attachment as usual . . . I'm on IE6* here and hence can't get the relevent page on GC.com to load so I can do the download.

(*Work PC. I don't control the software build and can potentially get the sack for trying to install anything different. Would otherwise be using something more up-to-date, but don't currently have a choice in the matter.)

Somewhat irritated to find that the "my finds" PQ I requested last night didn't arrive as an email attachment as usual ...

Indeed, this is thoroughly annoying. I have filed a report with Groundspeak on this, and suggest that everyone else who finds this highly inconvenient do the same, as well as complaining loudly on the forums.

Rgds, Andy

Somewhat irritated to find that the "my finds" PQ I requested last night didn't arrive as an email attachment as usual . . . I'm on IE6* here and hence can't get the relevent page on GC.com to load so I can do the download.

(*Work PC. I don't control the software build and can potentially get the sack for trying to install anything different. Would otherwise be using something more up-to-date, but don't currently have a choice in the matter.)

USB ports locked down too? http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

USB ports locked down too? http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

probably! I know my place bans the use of all non-Trust memory sticks, and is also running on IE 6!

do pocket queries return the Gpx files so i could display the condensed cache pages on my phone? or is that another format?

It's supplied as a zip, which opens to GPX files.

Only if you leave the tick in the 'zipped' box on the PQ creation form. If you un-tick it, it comes as a normal GPX file.

Only if you leave the tick in the 'zipped' box on the PQ creation form. If you un-tick it, it comes as a normal GPX file.

word is that PQs with >500 caches (which can only be downloaded) are always in .zip format.