what are the sizes of the caches?

sodapop11

It seems to be a bit regional. A large should actually be larger than an ammo can, those should be regular. Small could be the size of a plastic sandwich container, or a planters peanut jar. Micros should be film canister, water proof match containers, things of that nature, and nanos are usually listed as micros but are about the size of the eraser on a pencil.

From the guidelines for hiding a cache ....

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

I think I have covered all the bases in my first six finds except for maybe large. I have found a ammo can(regular), tupperware container about 6 inches across and 4" deep(regular), a small square waterproof container about 3-4 inches square and 3 inches deep(small), a large size pill bottle(micro) and also a magnetic key holder that just has a log folded up in it(micro). I actually thought the key holder was really cool and it's location was great.

Sorry if this is a repost. I know the caches come in: micro, small, regular and large. Nothing to specific. It's just so I have an idea of what size container I am looking for. I know an ammo can is large. But how small is a small, regular or micro?

Actually an ammo can is regular size. Large is a 5 gallon bucket or larger.

Small is about the size of a sandwich size Tupperware container.

Micros are roughly the sized of a film canister and smaller.

You may also see references to nano caches. They are actually very small micros sometimes as small as the eraser on the end of a pencil, but should be classified as a micro.

And the "other" size type are for the unusual containers that may not fit elsewhere.[fake rock,sprinkler cache,the bolt cache etc...] or just to stump the cacher into looking everywhere for a weird container[fake skull,fake arm,pipe cache,pinecone]:anibad: stuff that is overlooked easily,or might scare someone that wasn't looking for that.(think DEAD BODY!)

Edited by ton9819

And the "other" size type are for the unusual containers that may not fit elsewhere.[fake rock,sprinkler cache,the bolt cache etc...] or just to stump the cacher into looking everywhere for a weird container[fake skull,fake arm,pipe cache,pinecone]:anibad: stuff that is overlooked easily,or might scare someone that wasn't looking for that.(think DEAD BODY!)

The spent shotgun shell I found at the FWA last night was a toughy!

Fitting within the "other" cache size-type, is a cache that is nothing other than a an object which serves as the log itself -- no real "container" -- hence, no swag containment. Have came across a few of those. Unless you keep in mind that it is listed as an "other", they can be real buggers. :anibad:

EDIT: the "fake rock, sprinkler cache, the bolt cache etc..." still are "containers" per se, and the size is covered in the guidelines (usually micro [nano]), because they can and do hold a log sheet.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee