Listing Sites

Shop99er

Is it just me, or are the two coin listing site that I know about pretty much dying?

geocoincollection and cointracking both have fewer people listed than they used to, and don't seem to be getting the new coin info that they used to.

If that's the case, is there anything out there that seems to be replacing them?

I could be wrong, ...it's happened once before, but I was under the impression that geocoincollection was going to relaunch in May. I know they pro-rated my membership up until then. When I tried to renew it in Dec I had to jump through a couple hoops in order to do so...

I do see more of a problem of updating new coins to the existing site, but I think that has more to do with the different variety and number of coins being minted today. keeping up with all the new coins must be like containing the oil slick in the gulf.

I have a stack of coins here on my desk that I'm constantly waiting on the site to update in the system before the coins find safety in my binders...

I guess only time will tell about a relaunch of the site though...

Geocoincollection wouldn't let me renew because the new site was almost ready to launch....been over six months :anibad:

I got an email last week when I tried to renew saying watch for the new launch in a week or two.

Same response I received over 6 months ago.

That's what drove me to start this topic. I got the same mail last week.

After 6 months + of waiting for the new site to launch, many people left. I remember when there were nearly 200 on the site. Last night, there were 30 or so.

I'm wondering if they haven't shot themselves in the foot.

Is it just me, or are the two coin listing site that I know about pretty much dying?

geocoincollection and cointracking both have fewer people listed than they used to, and don't seem to be getting the new coin info that they used to.

If that's the case, is there anything out there that seems to be replacing them?

I agree. Since very few people seem to trade anymore and coin vendors coming out with sales that are either way too limited or way too many then there is never a need to trade... for the first category I don' t bother, for the second I can get them anytime...

Therefore, the need to have a trading list is minimalized.

.. I have a stack of coins here on my desk that I'm constantly waiting on the site to update in the system before the coins find safety in my binders...

I guess only time will tell about a relaunch of the site though...

do you photograph your coins and submit them to the sites? the sites depends on coin owners contributing pics. if i get a coin that is not on either site, i photograph it or scan it and put it on cointracking myself, or upload it to gecoincollection's forum - their process for adding coins.

when geocoincollection.com started having some issues, i listed my coins on cointracking. hopefully that site will stick around for a while. i don't have very many coins any longer so it is pretty easy to keep track of them, but i imagine those folks with a gazillion coins might be a little bit upset if those sites go down.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

...i imagine those folks with a gazillion coins might be a little bit upset if those sites go down...

well, i didn't have a gazillion coins, but there was a website where i had complete descriptions with tons of detailed information of all my geocoins along with many pictures. i would link to that site whenever i had auctions for the coins, too. i had most of the written information backed up just in case, but when the site vanished, i was stuck with backed up code i really couldn't use. then i was asked to upload pictures and information at "geocoincollection", but i don't want the same thing to happen. so, for now i have a modest list at "cointracking", but i don't put too much effort into the list for the same reasons. i can't rely on a website or the people that are supposed to keep it up, maintained, and running securely. its a shame, but this may be why geocoin trading is almost a thing of the past. :ph34r:

...but this may be why geocoin trading is almost a thing of the past. :ph34r:

has trading gone down? i haven't been paying too much attention so i am a bit surprised to hear folks aren't trading much anymore. just buying on ebay or something?

rsg

the forums seem to be a popular place to trade, but i haven't received a trade offer from anyone at "cointracking" in many months, and when i contact someone to make a trade offer there, i never get a reply. the few times i have received a reply through that website, the trade experience has been less than spectacular. that is why i made the comment regarding trading in general. i won't go into the boring details of trading outside the forum, but i would just say, this forum seems like the best place to trade in my experience. most people here seem nice, cordial, and responsible. thats just my opinion. :)

Edited by Odyssey Voyager