SY1991

TeamGatorade

Need a little help from some of you people that have been doing this awhile, since I am just getting started. Went out looking for SY1991 this morning, because it was little more than a stones throw across Highway 18 from me. Long story short...not sure if I found it or where it was supposed to be. I found transmission tower #1, (had the sign on tower), and I think I found the concrete monument that is supposed to have a disk in the top of it, but it doesn't. I'm pretty sure this is the correct slap of concrete, since it was 22 feet south of the north tower leg, and 32.1 feet east of the west tower leg, like the description says. My question is according to the description there should be another disk about 3 feet down. Does that mean that it is buried (cemented) in the concrete? If so, how can one verify this is the BM? I posted a couple of pics with my note on this BM, if that helps anyone.

Reading the description of SY1991 I would think that there is a second, sub-surface monument down 3 feet. Sub-surface monuments are commonly used as a check to the surface monuments, and in areas where there is a possibility that the surface monument may be damaged or disappear altogether.

The pictures you posted of the concrete block in the proper location could be the concrete mentioned in the description, however the only way to know for sure would be to dig for the sub-surface monument. From the pics, the benchmark looks like it's in some sort of maintenence or storage yard. You may want to get permission before you dig.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

I've done several PIDs that also had an underground mark. They are usually 30 to 36 inches deep and directly below the surface disk. I think you'll have to give up on this one and move on. The surface disk is 80% likely to be gone but the underground one is surely still there if a surveyor ever needs it.

My advice is - don't even think of trying to dig for the underground mark. There are over 700,000 others to look for.

Their building a bunch of new apartments right around there. The access road in the description is gone. I figured there probably was a sub-surface monument, but didn't figure I should go digging it up just for our little hunt/find database. Leave it for the big boys that need to use the things. So....is that a found, but not found? Suppose I can't log it as anything, either way, eh?

[icon_frown.gif]