Release Notes 4/29/10

OpinioNate

I agree with your disappointment. :D

When I heard the limit was being raised from 500 to 1,000 I was very excited; however, I'm sticking with 500 results for the ability to receive the actual file via e-mail.

i think i will do the same. i have no problem with downloading the PQ results from the web when the email comes in, but i need at least a direct download link (preferably in the email, but doesn't need to be), one that doesn't require me to be logged in.

FIRST, I love the updates. Thanks for the hard work to make this game/sport we love so much more enjoyable.

SECOND, I just noticed that if I click on a cache icon on a Profile Page, no matter which Icon I click all cache types show up. I am sure it is an easy fix for you guys, but thought you would like to know.

Thanks again

It's pretty much the same for me. Either right click and Save As from email then import into GSAK or click the link and Save As then import into GSAK. Not sure where the extra steps are coming in.

That's because you haven't automated GSAK as much as you can. (I click one button which copies the e-mails from Gmail, places the attachments in a folder and loads those caches.)

I'm on your side. I think the 1000's are fine coming from the tab in gc.com pq page. That said, I didn't know about that GSAK feature so I'm definitely going to check it out for 500 or fewer pq's.

Edited by C3GPS
and the PQ download works for me, but returns the file without any extension... have to rename it to .zip in order to open it :D
That's what happened to me but Tequila didn't have any problem?

Browser-specific? I'm Firefox 3.6.3. What are you? (And for those getting .zip, are you using another browser?)

firefox 3.5.9 on linux here.

ps: the mime type from the server correctly reports the file as zip file, but the filename still doesn't have the extension. maybe some browser/OS combinations add the .zip extension in that case themselves?

If I select "Include Pocket Query name in download file name", I don't get an extension.

If I don't select that, I do get the .zip.

Is that the issue (and not browser/operating system)?

I agree with your disappointment. :D

When I heard the limit was being raised from 500 to 1,000 I was very excited; however, I'm sticking with 500 results for the ability to receive the actual file via e-mail.

i think i will do the same. i have no problem with downloading the PQ results from the web when the email comes in, but i need at least a direct download link (preferably in the email, but doesn't need to be), one that doesn't require me to be logged in.

I'd just like them to fix the "saved GPX files" part of the site.

It has never worked as it is meant to. !!!

If I select "Include Pocket Query name in download file name", I don't get an extension.

ah yes, i suppose so, i do have that option checked.

I was trying to find all the event caches near an event in PA so I could figure out if my changed schedule makes it possible for me to attend another nearby event. But it won't search for "caches of this type" anymore and give me just the list of events near the PA event.

GC24R5Y is one event and I needed to know what other events are going to be in the same area this weekend.

I figured out a work-around, may actually be able to attend one in New Jersey! But you may want someone to look into this search issue. :D

Jennifer

I'm getting a weird profile error. The profile avatar and number of hides and finds at the top right corner of the front page has a generic avatar and it lists my Premium Member since date as being unknown. When I first got on to the website, it had me at 0 finds and 0 hides. After I went to my actual profile and then went back to the front page, the finds and hides count went back to the correct numbers, but the other issues are still the same. I'm using IE7 on Windows XP.

Edited by Dwoodford

I'm getting a weird profile error. The profile avatar and number of hides and finds at the top right corner of the front page has a generic avatar and it lists my Premium Member since date as being unknown. When I first got on to the website, it had me at 0 finds and 0 hides. After I went to my actual profile and then went back to the front page, the finds and hides count went back to the correct numbers, but the other issues are still the same. I'm using IE7 on Windows XP.

we've just seen that ourselves here. i believe it just fixes itself.

Auugh! My Better Half is going to Maryland on business this weekend and I can't search for 10 Years caches in Maryland! I can't use a pocket query because they're not events anymore, and the bizarro type they are isn't one of the options. I can't start with a nearby 10-year event and use "show nearest caches of this type" because that's broken. There's no way to search for a cache by keyword and state both. Frustrated!

Auugh! My Better Half is going to Maryland on business this weekend and I can't search for 10 Years caches in Maryland! I can't use a pocket query because they're not events anymore, and the bizarro type they are isn't one of the options. I can't start with a nearby 10-year event and use "show nearest caches of this type" because that's broken. There's no way to search for a cache by keyword and state both. Frustrated!

Try : any cache type, placed May 1 2010 - May 2 2010.

It won't be only 10 Year! events, but the majority should be.

You could also browse from the map at this link : http://www.geocaching.com/lostandfound/

Edited by Chrysalides

Awesome new feature. I love it. So far I am not running into any problems.

I would love to see this enhancement: On the Downloads tab, next to the Delete link on the bottom line of the table, I would love to see a link for "Download" (i.e. to download all the checked ones) as well as a link to "Download and Delete".

Edited by Hynr

Try : any cache type, placed May 1 2010 - May 2 2010.

It won't be only 10 Year! events, but the majority should be.

Thanks for the tip.

But now I have to waste a couple more PQ slots to grab these as I have separate PQs for events and non-events.

we've just seen that ourselves here. i believe it just fixes itself.

It's back to normal now.

My PQ's were waiting for download when I got up this morning. Took 30 seconds to download all 4 of them.

Now that I have configured GSAK to go to a folder, it takes two keystrokes in GSAK to load the new PQ's, update the DB and delete the PQ's.

The ability to have 1KPQ's is fantastic.

I never automated GSAK to grab caches from my email. I don't feel the need to around here. I just always click the zip and choose to open it in GSAK. So the only difference for me is onem ore click.

I ran a 1k last night just to see the preliminary radius, and WOW at least a 61 mile cache radius. I'll have to play around to fine tune it, or just continue with 500's

Ref PQ1K - am I the only person that is disappointed about this? I *love* the way that I can have my PQs delivered by email and then a couple of clicks with GSAK and they are all downloaded. I personally don't need 1000 caches in a PQ, so I'll live with the 500 limit on email-able caches (very grateful that you've not changed that!), but I would have thought that a lot of people would be in a similar boat to me, and be disappointed that they can't have 1000 caches in their inboxes.

No you're not. See the direction this thread took on this post.

It's not out of the question that we would work with GSAK or find some other way to serve PMs like yourself that prefer to automate your PQ consumption. This is a first step.

I've love to see this worked out. I'm sure I'll get some use out of the larger PQs, but I'll probably stick with the smaller queries for my regular weekly runs until it can be automated.

Cannot download/access new PQ's from download page. They disappeared

I condensed my 7 PQ's for the Dallas area into 3 full 1000 PQ's last night, I set them up to run today. I woke up this morning with the emails that they already ran. However, when I clicked them to download, I got a message that the file was not available for download and it disappeared from my list. This happened with all 3 >500 queries.

I cannot get to any of my query results. Guess I will have to try again tomorrow.

Did I do something wrong?

Great job on the increase - looks great! Nice option for download link instead of e-mail - I would think that this should cut down on some of the system overhead! B)

I have a few PQ's that I have set to run daily, so I'll always have an update in various areas. Since I don't "need" them daily - I thought I'd help out and change them to remove the e-mail delivery option, but looks like that wasn't included in your changes? Minor flaw in design! I know I can just change it to >500 caches, and you'll force it do download only, but have to believe there are still plenty of older units out there still stuck with the 500 cache limit...

Ummm, so will the "My Finds" query be set to run on demand anytime soon??? :anibad:

Thanks for the improvements!!!

Steve

Our fearless leader made a promise some weeks ago, and by extension issued a challenge to the web team: Make PQ generation stable enough to increase the per-PQ cache limit. The challenge was accepted with not a little apprehension at first -- after all, the PQ generator had already been under an extremely heavy load, and "now you want us to deliver more!?" -- but in the end it came together and PQ generation time was cut in half. With the PQ generator now stable, we can comfortably increase the per-PQ cache limit to 1000.

I tried running my usual query centered on my home coordinates in upstate NY. Everything worked fine except when I tried to preview it on the Google maps. A single cache (GCD) in Washington State was added resulting in a map being difficult to use. This cache did not show up in the list preview or in the download. I am using Windows 7 and Firefox version 3.63.

Team Taran

I tried running my usual query centered on my home coordinates in upstate NY. Everything worked fine except when I tried to preview it on the Google maps. A single cache (GCD) in Washington State was added resulting in a map being difficult to use. This cache did not show up in the list preview or in the download. I am using Windows 7 and Firefox version 3.63.

Team Taran

I'm glad I'm not the only one this is happening to. I have 2 queries for the Buffalo area for which I chose only New York and Ontario caches. One shows a cache in Illinois and the other shows a cache in California. I have not been able to find either of these caches in the list preview.

ON a users public profile, if you click on the Geocaches > Owned caches link, then click on any cache type in that list, instead of seeing their owned caches of that type, as before, you see all of their caches. - with Locationless "disappeared".

Same thing on the found side. I've found 158 Locationless, but clicking on my Locationless finds (or any cache type) brings you to the total finds list, sans any locationless.

Windows 2000, Firefox 3.5.7

Here is Anton's Profile with 10 Locationless and 67 total caches

The actual caches owned list shows only 57, no locationless

Edited by Isonzo Karst
I like the direct link instead of email. Fits my work flow better.

I love it ChileHead. Took me a whole of 5 minutes of time to dl close to 10,000 caches and get them into my various GSAK databases. Saved me a TON of TIME! I was able to remove close to 2/3's of my scheduled PQ's, freeing the PQ generator server up big time. Long run I believe this a very wise move by Jeremy. A win win for us that love to play with data along with finding caches and for GC as the server will have less load. Yes it will take a wee bit longer to generate a PQ but the amount of start finish actions will be reduced.

Some one said this another thread that was closed for this one suffices:

Come back here with that argument once use stop using PQs and download each GPX of the cache pages individually. Until then you're just being a hypocrite.

I DID & I am absolutely, totally, completely, entirely, wholly, altogether, perfectly, fully, satisfied with the new work flow I just established within the parameters GC has newly created!

I am a happy camper fer sure!

What looked to be a nice extra feature when announced, turned out to be a step backwards. See also http://searchjaunt.idizaai.be/pickpocket/

Although times I agree with you on premise - this time I am bold to kindly say you are wrong. This is a HUGE step forward. Have you even tried it yet? I and a few others who just posted today have and the new work flow is very simple. So easy a caveman can do it - I do not believe I just typed that - I hate those commercials! :anibad:

Edited by Frank Broughton
Come back here with that argument once use stop using PQs and download each GPX of the cache pages individually. Until then you're just being a hypocrite.

I DID & I am absolutely, totally, completely, entirely, wholly, altogether, perfectly, fully, satisfied with the new work flow I just established within the parameters GC has newly created!

That's my post and I believe you've misinterpreted it. I was not referring to the new PQ download feature.

Someone said that the people who want the PQ1Ks emailed just want to replicate Groundspeak's database automatically at twice the rate. I replied that unless they're not using PQs at all and downloading individual GPX files from the cache listings then they're being hypocrites.

There are those, myself included, who have a large caching area. Others just have a high cache density in their area. I'm using the Date Placed system for setting up my PQs. This would have cut my PQs in half and reduced the "slack" between PQs by half. I might have been able to eliminate one PQ entirely because of it.

I'm glad you, and others, find this feature useful. I do not and shall stay at the 500 limit.

What looked to be a nice extra feature when announced, turned out to be a step backwards. See also http://searchjaunt.idizaai.be/pickpocket/

Although times I agree with you on premise - this time I am bold to kindly say you are wrong. This is a HUGE step forward. Have you even tried it yet? I and a few others who just posted today have and the new work flow is very simple. So easy a caveman can do it - I do not believe I just typed that - I hate those commercials! :anibad:

His opinion is not wrong any more than yours is.

Yes, it's a huge step forwards for some people but not for everyone.

if you've always downloaded PQs manually, i.e. go to your email account, open the email and save the attachment, then yes, this change won't make much of a difference to you. but that's not how everyone of us is doing it. some of us have a fully automated PQ processor: email comes in, PQ gets extracted and processed right away, with no manual interaction at all. this isn't possible with the 1k PQs any more.

Peoples do you have automatic wiper toilets that are available in some parts of the world - just teasing? Seriously, I know what you are getting at, but the change is not big at all. I said I got 10,000 (2 pm accounts) into my various GSAK db's in a few minutes (including flushing out archived caches and updating my profile stats). The work flow is simple and FAST and has double the data. A huge step forward FOR EVERYONE!

I fully agree with the new procedures. Trying to eliminate old accounts from continually grabbing data automatically when they do not even use it any longer is worth the change - get my drift I hope.

if you've always downloaded PQs manually, i.e. go to your email account, open the email and save the attachment, then yes, this change won't make much of a difference to you. but that's not how everyone of us is doing it. some of us have a fully automated PQ processor: email comes in, PQ gets extracted and processed right away, with no manual interaction at all. this isn't possible with the 1k PQs any more.

No but you can get the data. You couldn't do that yesterday.

Automation isn't everything.

I like the new 1K limit. I have 2 scheduled PQs that I run on a weekly basis. With the size increase, I can now cover my area with a single PQ. I did notice a few bugs:

1) I cannot delete a PQ.

2) If I preview a PQ in the map, it only shows 659 caches.

3) In the public profile, if a cache type is clicked (eg. Multicaches), it shows all caches found, rather than the specific type.

and the PQ download works for me, but returns the file without any extension... have to rename it to .zip in order to open it :anibad:
That's what happened to me but Tequila didn't have any problem?

Browser-specific? I'm Firefox 3.6.3. What are you? (And for those getting .zip, are you using another browser?)

I tested this under several browsers.

Under Windows 7 Ultimate:

IE8 seems to handle this just fine.

Chrome v 4.1.249.1064 (45376) seems to work fine.

Safari v 4.0.5 (531.22.7) seems to work just fine

FireFox v3.6.3 seems to cut off the file name at the first embedded space in the file name

Under Mac OSX 10.6.3:

Safari Version 4.0.5 (6531.22.7) seems to work fine (although it seems to run it automatically decompressing it into a folder and deleting the zip)

FireFox v3.6.3 seems to cut off the file name at the first embedded space in the file name

The name thing seems to me to be only an issue for FireFox users who have also checked the checkbox to include the pocket query name in the file name (and there are embedded spaces in the PQ name). Granted, I have not tested this for all browsers under all operating systems, but I have tested under a few.

firefox 3.5.9 on linux here.

ps: the mime type from the server correctly reports the file as zip file, but the filename still doesn't have the extension. maybe some browser/OS combinations add the .zip extension in that case themselves?

The issue seems to be with how FireFox is handling the download link when the file name has an embedded space it in. I have the exact same problem with the PQ name included when I run FireFox under Windows or MacOS, but not with any of the other browsers I have tested on either OS.

Cannot download/access new PQ's from download page. They disappeared

I condensed my 7 PQ's for the Dallas area into 3 full 1000 PQ's last night, I set them up to run today. I woke up this morning with the emails that they already ran. However, when I clicked them to download, I got a message that the file was not available for download and it disappeared from my list. This happened with all 3 >500 queries.

I cannot get to any of my query results. Guess I will have to try again tomorrow.

Did I do something wrong?

I don't think it is anything that you did wrong. I also had very similar happen to me.

My scenario, I had a PQ that I used to run every Friday. I had disabled it because I needed to use that run slot for a different PQ, but now with the new larger limit on caches in a PQ, the slot was open again. I modified all my PQ's to use as many of the 1000 caches as possible. The one that I had previously disables, I also re-enabled. I received emails that all 5 of my PQ's had run last night as expected. I tried to access them and I was able to access 4 of the 5, but not the one that had been disabled for several weeks. When I tried to access it, I got the same error message as you, and it was removed from my list of PQ's available to download. It has run, and has used my 5th run slot for today, but I can not access the contents from that one PQ.

I don't know if my problem is related to the fact that it had been disabled for several weeks and just re-enabled or if that is pure coincidence...

Peoples do you have automatic wiper toilets that are available in some parts of the world - just teasing? Seriously, I know what you are getting at, but the change is not big at all. I said I got 10,000 (2 pm accounts) into my various GSAK db's in a few minutes (including flushing out archived caches and updating my profile stats). The work flow is simple and FAST and has double the data.

Hitting one button is simpler. And I don't really care about fast. I wouldn't care if the automatic work flow was 2 or 3 times longer. I'm not going to be in front of the computer while it runs anyway.

A huge step forward FOR EVERYONE!

Again, and I'm starting to sound like a broken record, not for me. When and if they allow a direct download link for automatic retrieval I'll fully agree with you.

I fully agree with the new procedures. Trying to eliminate old accounts from continually grabbing data automatically when they do not even use it any longer is worth the change - get my drift I hope.

I don't think it's worth it. So it will make my PQs arrive at 4am instead of 5am. How does that benefit me?

In fact, I would be perfectly happy having my PQ1K generation delayed to a less busy time if I could still get them by email. Then I get what I want, a bigger emailed PQ, and Groundspeak gets what they want which is less peak load on their servers.

There was a big discussion with the Groundspeak lackeys about this very idea and many of us thought that's how they'd free up the resources to do the PQ1Ks. Instead we got this download system which we haven't heard a peep about until 2 days before release.

Team Taran

I'm glad I'm not the only one this is happening to. I have 2 queries for the Buffalo area for which I chose only New York and Ontario caches. One shows a cache in Illinois and the other shows a cache in California. I have not been able to find either of these caches in the list preview.

I'm seeing this as well. Just created a 1000 cache query centered in Maryland and on the map it includes a cache in Colorado.

No but you can get the data. You couldn't do that yesterday.

Yes I could. It just takes twice as many PQs to do it.

Automation isn't everything.

To some it is. There are quite a few people here willing to use twice as many PQs just to keep their automatic workflow.